Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vs S2000+CR-V

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  WVRX 
#1 · (Edited)
First off I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 41 your old, long time car enthusiast who's always liked sports cars. I've owned several older Z cars and last year I finally bought my dream car. A low mileage 2006 S2000. Its fantastic on dry days to rip through the curvy roads here in WV and VA but man I underestimated the limitations of a roadster for my lifestyle. Finally having a fun car to drive again has prompted me to take a lot of weekend trips through this scenic region. Driving the roads is great fun but often times there is a gravel road leading to the ultimate destination.
Last summer my girlfriend and I went to the Spruce Knob, Dolly Sods region (for those of you familiar with the area) only to realize we couldn't go up the gravel/ dirt roads to the top...lol.

I also have 2004 CR-V but that doesn't exactly inspire me to travel twisty mountain roads so I don't want to drive it the three hours just so I can drive the last 5 miles of gravel..lol.

So I'm thinking a new WRX in place of both might just fit the bill. I've driven my neighbors 2012 STI and its pretty damn good. I also did a short test drive in a 2015 WRX but I had two heavy guys with me which sapped a good bit of power. The handling felt surprisingly good for what little I drove it. It was primarily a test drive for my friend. I did like the low end torque a lot but noted that the engine ran out of steam at around 5k rpm. I've read that a basic tune can remedy that but are there any mild tunes that won't void the warranty?
The STI is not quite as race car feeling as the S2000 but I feel like I can drive it just as fast through the twistys. So how does the new WRX compare handling wise to a 2012 STI? I know I drove them both but the new one was very limited.
I definitely am just interested in the regular WRX because of the better gas mileage and daily drivability. Plus I'm too old for a big wing. I know the looks of the new WRX are polarizing but I think they are great! Very sporty and the 245 tires make it look the business. Some call it a suped up Corolla but I have no problem with that either.

Any comparisons or words of encouragement welcome.

Thanks

Jon

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

Here is a great comparison of the prior STI to the current WRX. One thing I will also add that 2015 WRX has a different OEM tune than 2016/17. It feels like it has more punch down low but the 16/17 feel more smooth and hold power better. Apparently COBB 93 STG 1 is a very mild tune that smooths out the power curve and there are also more aggressive tunes like MA Performance that add quite a bit more power to the car.

To be quite honest if I had the choice I would rather have something like the S2000 or E36 M3 as a toy and a CRV for daily driving than a WRX. I had no choice and had to consolidate to one car so the WRX fir the bill. I also considered the Focus ST and GTI, both great cars in their own ways.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the video. Yeah the S2000 is a great toy. I'm in no hurry to make a move, just exploring ideas. I have always thought WRX's were a great all round fun and practical ride for the enthusiast. A WRX is on my bucket list whether I own it instead of or alongside the S2000.

#5 ·
I had a 2016 WRX, the Cobb stage 1 totally fixed the upper rpm ranges for me. I drove the car to Utah and back in the winter (from Boston), on the Salt Flats, took it camping, tracking, and autoX. The one benefit to the new WRX on longer trips is the dramatically better mileage you can get if you drive carefully vs. the STI. It's an awesome all rounder, if I could keep 2 cars I would have kept it but really wanted RWD for summer/track driving. If you can keep the S2000 and get the WRX that's a perfect 2 car setup.

#6 ·
Welcome to the site! You live in a great part of the country, though I know the Virginia side much better. I spent the '90's and 2000's backpacking up and down the east coast on the Appalachian Trail, so I know Shenandoah well.

I was an old-skool WRX owner, so can't offer a lot of opinion about the newer cars.

#7 ·
I have owned my 2016 wrx for a year now and I enjoy taking her on back roads too. The car handles well and there a little body roll on the stock suspension but it doesn't limit the car in my opinion. Nothing some sway bars and coils couldn't tidy up if it really bothered you. As far as power, im running the Cobb 93 octane tune. It definitely makes the power more linear and there is boost through out the power band unlike the stock tune which is awful to be completely honest. A Cobb AP will fix a lot of the little kinks in the stock tune. I love my WRX and i always enjoy driving it!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
ive owned an s2000 for the last 10 years, I have no plan on ever parting ways with it. I have also had a 2016 wrx for the last year. I really enjoy the car. It ticks all of my boxs for a daily driver. With that said, nothing replaces the s2000 as a pure sports car. I would not be to afraid to travel gravel roads in it though, as long as your careful. I have definitely taken my s2000 on roads it probably should not have been but it hasn't missed a beat.

#9 ·
To be honest the Honda S2K is probably one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven, but with that in mind, it is completely different than the Rex when it comes to handling and performance.

I like my Rex because it makes me feel like I am a good driver. It also sounds kinda cool. But the S2K is a sharper vehicle.

:) :D

#10 ·
I drove an S2000 once--very fun to drive and a definite looker.

I traded in a Z4 for my first WRX and really regret giving up that car when the weather is nice. If at all possible, keep the S2000 and upgrade the CRV.

My daughter still drives my 2005 CRV--dang things are so reliable, they never give up the ghost. It has almost 200K miles on it with no MAJOR issues.

#11 ·
Yeah, my CR-V only has 135k on it and it feels new. I should probably just keep it. Its just that every time I see a new WRX I want one...lol. The CR-V is actually not bad to drive. Its a manual and the gearbox is sports car slick. If only it handled a bit better.

Looks like the concensus is I would regret losing the S2000. That's probably true. I'll work on getting a Rex at some point, but for now my CR-V has a lot of life left in it and only leaves me wanting for cornering ability. Its really good in every other way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.