Subaru WRX Forum banner

2014 WRX or wait for 2018 WRX

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and currently in the market for a WRX. I know this is completely subjective, and you guys probably get this often, but I just want some feedback from other people. I'm having a hard time deciding between getting 2014 WRX or just waiting for the new 2018 to come out. I've found a 2014 premium WRX with 25k miles that seems very promising. However, I hear that road/wind noise is pretty loud in this generation. I'm going to be using this car as a daily, and want it to be decently comfortable. However, I go snowboarding quite often, so of course I want it to be practical. I originally planned to get a 2017 WRX, but came to find out the 2018 was coming in spring, so I might as well just wait, especially with the improvements they are implementing.

So a couple things that I have questions about.

How is the 5 speed transmission in the 2014?
How are the RPM's at freeway speeds?
Is road / wind noise that bad?
Has anyone moved from 2014 or even previous to a 2015-2017 model? and how do you feel about it?
Overall, if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks in advance, and appreciate your guys' time!

See less See more
#2 ·
If creature comforts and that caddy feel are your thing I would maybe begin looking elsewhere. Every WRX I've ever spent a little time in creeks and has noises. It's part of the character. Wind noise? Can't hear it over the rattles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I had a 2012. I loved it a lot--the 2017 is an improvement in refinement, etc., but that said I'd look at the cost. If you're sure it's been well-maintained and not modded in a way to void the warranty, if you have decent warranty coverage in the future, and if the price is right, I'd consider it.

I seriously looked at a 2014 before I got my 2017, but my GF nixed the tangerine paint and side decals. She likes my 2017 ISM just fine.

To answer your questions:

I like the 6-speed but the 5-speed would not be a deal-breaker. RPM's at highway for the 2012 were about 3200-3400 IIRC. RPM's for the 2017 at 80 MPH are 3000--not too loud at all.

The 2017 is an improvement, also better shifting in lower gears--not as jumpy, but as I remember with the 2012 the drivability and noise is something you get used to. Not the worst I've ever had by a long shot. Make sure you upgrade the stereo if it hasn't been already, and then the noise is not an issue. ;-)

For a 2014 with that mileage (low for 2014) it'd have to be >=$5K price difference, with a couple of years left on warranty for me to consider it. Look at prices on Carmax for a reference.

The 2018 does look even nicer, but not sure what the pricing will be. You won't be able to get a good price on a 2018 until later in the Fall, when they're trying to move the inventory.

#6 · (Edited)
The styling is quite different as well--I kind of liked the aggressive look of the 2012 when I had it, not to everyone's taste of course. The interior was pretty plain, the stereo crappy.

The 2014-on styling is smoother and more flowing. I admit I thought it was kind of conventional when it came out, but it has grown on me since then. The interior is about 20% nicer. Not luxury-level by any means, but decent.

Re' the difference in styling, let me put it this way--you're a lawyer or a realtor and you show up to pick someone up in a 2013 or earlier, god forbid an STI with the wings, and the first thought is overage schoolboy, hooligan, etc. You show up in a 2014 and no one bats an eyelash. Until you take off at the first stoplight.

#7 ·
I miss my 2013 WRX on a daily basis. Yes, it was loud and it had rattles. The interior was cheap and the stereo was dog crap.

Then, I look at my 2015 STI and I still don't see many differences. The car is still loud as hell and twice as uncomfortable as my 2013 WRX. The WRX was much easier to live with and just as much fun. It still got plenty of looks, waves, and thumbs ups as well. My 13 WRX had the factory short throw shifter, and although some people complain about the five speed, I loved it. I could drive through town and never have to shift past 3rd gear. The chassis was also much more forgiving than the new generation WRX/STI. Unless you go with the HK stereo upgrade, both of the stereos are garbage.

Neither car offers what I consider great creature comforts, but the previous generation WRX seemed much easier to live with. It may be a tad louder with a few more rattles, but the suspension and chassis make the car a lot less jarring, while still remaining a very capable handling car. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept my 13 WRX.

#8 ·
I miss my 2013 WRX on a daily basis. Yes, it was loud and it had rattles. The interior was cheap and the stereo was dog crap.
This, but replace 2013 with 2002..and I replaced every little bit of the stereo, so it was fine after a couple thousand dollars, lol.

OP, sounds like perhaps you should broaden your search if noise and other cabin concerns are high priorities. You may find that you like the year WRX that you're considering...or you may drive something else, a Golf GTI or whatever, that matches your needs better. The character of the car has to match up with the driver..no one can figure that out but you! :wiggles:

#9 ·
The interior of the 2018 is much improved but yeah, if you can give up the AWD and the more engaging drive, the GTI is a good choice. My last car was a 2013 GLI, before than a 2010 Audi S4 and before that a 2007 GTI. so I loved my German cars haha! but they are a little on the tame side to drive. Great noise isolation though.

#10 ·
I appreciate everyone's feedback. As contradictory to my original post as it seems, I ended up purchasing a 2017 dark grey WRX. I've had it for a little less than a month now, and I'm loving it. Shortly after my original post my friend gave me a great offer from the dealer he works at, so I couldn't pass it up. Especially with how great the snowboarding season is going here in So Cal I really wanted it as soon as possible. The car is basically everything I wanted, and more. Feels great going up and down the mountains, and feels great driving to work. Stereo isn't that bad, and road noise is a lot better than what I've driven in the past. I'm sure I'll still be happy down the road!

Thank you again guys!

#13 ·
sorry I am late to the party but... get a 2011-2014 wrx if I were you...

stock for stock 2011-2014 wrx pull on the 2015-2018 and imo I prefer the styling a little more... PLUS the new 2015-2018 come in CVT so you kinda sometimes see bored house-wives who cant even spell Subaru driving them or 18 year olds who's fathers are trying to win their love back for them lol

(too lazy to write properly, my apologies)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.