2015 WRX vs 2011-2015 Civic Si
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX vs 2011-2015 Civic Si within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I am new to this.. Im pretty sure there are tons of threads like this out there and ...

Ell

2015 WRX vs 2011-2015 Civic Si

Hey everyone, I am new to this.. Im pretty sure there are tons of threads like this out there and I apologize, but anyways- I am 20 years old and I am looking to buy my first new car pretty soon (currently dd-ing an older civic ex - auto tranny) and looking for my first manual trans. I really like the 2015 WRX because i have always been a fan of the Subaru, however I'm also indecisive towards the 8th or 9th Gen. Civic Si. I live in the mid-west, where snow is a problem and would love the AWD but I also have to be financially considerate, not to mention the WRX has stock turbo- meaning more insurance (Especially at my age) along with WRX maintenances and gas mileage. I want something reliable- but also something that I can have fun with and not regret it in the long run due to early issues with the car. I will be daily driving it and want it to last me awhile... So, it would be helpful to hear some opinions and information about either car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What are you doing at 20 to be able to afford a $30K~ car? If it WERE to break, and for some reason not be under warranty, could you afford the lengthy and expensive repair process? Are you currently in school? Etc? By all means, if you CAN afford it, (and I don't mean scrape by and make payments, I mean AFFORD it) then go out and drive both....

I personally hate that people keep comparing these two cars, or jumping from the civic world to the WRX world... they're so completely different... but anyway, I digress...

Other than AWD, I feel that the Civic would be the clear winner here just based on age (Insurance, Gas Mileage, Price)
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

The wrx is gonna cost you a fortune in insurance, needs more care and is more involved when it comes to modding. Basically a lot more money all the way around.

I think people compare them because the Si is the more affordable compromise if your looking for a sporty import. Granted yes they are very different cars.

For 8th vs 9th. Get an 8th if you want a real engine and bullet proof reliability, shoot for years 10-11. Get the 9th years 14 or 15 if you love tech.

Civic without any doubt. There isn't any comparison. Cheaper, better built, longer lasting, cheaper to maintain, well above average in snow and ice with the proper tires on it(the wrx does OK, I'm not particularly impressed, but it's better than my BMW), etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ell
    I work as a Product analyst and I am currently not in school. I know the wrx will cost me a lot more (for repairs and mods later) along with keeping up maintenance and gas, etc. Which brings in the Si, they are both different cars, yes- but say I can't afford the wrx (which is true, I might not be able to) I still want something close to it, which in my own opinion, would be the Si because it's like what batman900 said.. A sporty import lol granted, it won't be AWD and no boost, but will still be fun to drive.

Also; I have driven a 2014 Sti and a 2008 Si before- again, love the torque from sti and it's AWD power.. Along with the turbo lag feel and it's rumble sound is like music to my ears lol but I guess the shifting is the only issue for me... The Si was smooth, not as much power as sti of course, but awesome shifting.

Anyway, thanks guys. Pretty eye opening for me I guess lol

You don't want anything near a wrx. That's where you are making the mistake.

There is no shame in owning a civic. Ex si, whatever. They are good vehicles and will still be running long after a Subaru has turned to dust.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you hop in the '15 WRX Expecting a '14 STi experience, I feel you'll be disappointed, that's why, again, I suggest a test drive if you feel you can afford the WRX.

I wasn't trying to stab at your age or experience by any means with my first post, re-reading it I see how someone could feel that way, so I hope you didn't.

If you're looking for great shifting, then right off the bat you'd get the itch to upgrade the shifting components of the WRX (Bushings, Brass shifter stop, short throw, etc), so on top of the price difference, you'd want $400 of parts.... you also have to factor in a new set of winter tires (or all seasons, if that suits you best) for the summer-only equipped WRX, which is easily $500.. hop up to the premium trim with 18's and $800 for quality tires isn't unreasonable.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

I am 23 and the only things I have owned are civics. I am driving a 1998 5 speed now and its a great car if it wasn't for the broken speedometer (needle just sits there and doesn't track mileage), leaking/burning oil, transmission is slipping bad I would keep driving it but i can't afford to break down during my commute. I have had this car for 6 years and I consider this driving it into the ground. It's time for a new car I chose the wrx because 1. I have wanted one for a long time 2. AWD, power, and resale value. My mom has a 14 forester and when it snows bad we switch since I work in another state she works from home so I have built trust with Subaru. I can afford this car, I saved up a big down payment since I have no trade in. I have great credit and I got my loan from my credit union with a good interest rate. I already have money for my winter tires and have no plans of any mods other then tint and a new set of wheels. So basically Hondas are totally badass cars BUT wrx's are better if you can afford them.

Ell
    Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    If you hop in the '15 WRX Expecting a '14 STi experience, I feel you'll be disappointed, that's why, again, I suggest a test drive if you feel you can afford the WRX.

I wasn't trying to stab at your age or experience by any means with my first post, re-reading it I see how someone could feel that way, so I hope you didn't.

If you're looking for great shifting, then right off the bat you'd get the itch to upgrade the shifting components of the WRX (Bushings, Brass shifter stop, short throw, etc), so on top of the price difference, you'd want $400 of parts.... you also have to factor in a new set of winter tires (or all seasons, if that suits you best) for the summer-only equipped WRX, which is easily $500.. hop up to the premium trim with 18's and $800 for quality tires isn't unreasonable.
    No harm no foul, I also ask myself if I can afford it... turns out with only $35K salary... I may need to finance payments anyway lol thanks for the info. though!

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My very general rule of thumb: Spend no more than half what you make in a year on a car.

Im 23 years old man when i first started it was between a wrx and si, my first NEW car was a 13 SI loved the car very reliable gas was good fast little fun car..2 years later i traded it in for a 16 sti very time i drive it theres a biggo smile on my face man..i would suggest wrx it would make you happier... as long as you can afford it wrx would be were to start off.. your going to like the si but then your going to want more speed more mods sti was just a better overall for what i wanted in my life

Have you made a decision yet? I can tell you this much, in the long run, the WRX will recoupe the most money. They sell like hot cakes. The 2016-2016 models specifically with the FA, get great MPG, so honestly they are on par with that.

35k a year is decently good salary, if you budget right, you'll easily afford one. The mod bug will hit with any car but I'll tell you, WRX will give you a lot more bang for the buck.

On a side note, I'm confused why XJman is on these forums, unless his comments are sarcastic, that's some strong hate towards Subaru...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    My very general rule of thumb: Spend no more than half what you make in a year on a car.
    I still stand by this rule. $35k salary?...I'd be shopping $15k-$18k cars.

Quote Originally Posted by sklim1320 View Post
    On a side note, I'm confused why XJman is on these forums, unless his comments are sarcastic, that's some strong hate towards Subaru...
    I wouldn't say hate. Maybe 'realist'.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Honestly I say no more than 30%, but different people take risk differently.

Also, I will always pay down the principle to less than the first 3 years loss in value immediately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Honestly I say no more than 30%, but different people take risk differently.

Also, I will always pay down the principle to less than the first 3 years loss in value immediately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Typically I teeter on the line of 'living within my means'. The high end of mediocrity if you will. However, a few posts earlier a salary of 35k is mentioned so I felt a new WRX might not be wise...even by my standards of risk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.