Votes: 1 25.0%
  • SRT4

Votes: 3 75.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

WRX or SRT4 first car

10K views 102 replies 17 participants last post by  RayfieldsWRX 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm 16 years old and I love cars. I have been looking at the neon for more than a year now but have recently found that I could get an 02-04 wrx for the same price. My dream is to build a sub 4 sec 0-60 car. I need a four door which is why my options are so minimum. Other cars are out of the question and the only reason I'm asking a question that is asked so often is because no matter how much I search I've never found the right answer. And since I'm already here how much awhp for that 0-60 on a wrx and if you know the neon what fwhp for that one.

#2 ·
Buy a 2.5RS or a regular Neon. Both an 02-04 WRX and any SRT4's will be money pits/headaches. Learn to drive on a less powerful car. Save your money and use it to have fun being a kid. You will have plenty of time to buy that powerful car in the future. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

#3 ·
For a 16 year old, I'd vote neither unless you have unlimited resources man.

Both cars are fairly expensive to drive/mod/ and maintain, and like 11blackSTi said, you'll have PLENTY of time to have one in the future.

In my experience so far, if all you're worried about is 0-60 times, the WRX is not the car for you. Not to mention both of this cars can be pretty powerful, especially for a new driver, and I'd get something you're a little less likely to (hopefully not) wrap around a tree if you get in a situation you've never been in before.

Not bashing you because you're young, I remember being 16 and dreaming of certain cars, but now that I'm older, I've had quite a few of those cars I've dreamed of, and I'm thankful I started out learning to drive a slow car. Your dream cars WILL happen.

#4 ·
I'm going to hop on the band wagon with everyone else here. Boht irickchad and 11blackSTi have great points. For a first car don't get caught up with modding and going fast. You need to know how to handle a car first. Heck pick up a honda (sorry if I offend anyone here), they're cheap and reliable. Take a driving course or two. Things can go wrong very quickly if you don't have experience.

#5 ·
Yep. I went to a very small high school in a small town. There were 4 people that come to mind who had "quick cars" while we were there. An STi, a WRX, a Cobalt SS, and a Mustang GT. The STi? Blown up. The WRX? Wrapped around a tree (that friend can barely use his right arm now) The Cobalt? Totalled. and the Mustang GT? Head on collision trying to pass another car. One of them died.

#7 ·
The reason I chose these cars is because it has to be permanent. I need four doors because I do plan on having kids. If I get any other car my setup is going to be the same so that's why I picked these cars because based off what I read they can handle the power I want without having to spend thousands on suspension. NO HONDAS, not putting them down or anything but I just strongly dislike them.

#9 ·
Few points/questions:

1. If you're 16, you don't have driving experience. Learner's permit doesn't count.

2. Why does the car have to be "Permanent"?

3. You need this car because you plan on having kids? You're 16, man, you've got time to get a baby hauler.

4. If you throw more power at either of these two cars, they're going to need suspension and brake modifications, that's just how it is.

5. I also hate Hondas, lol.

#13 ·
I understand that you love cars, and you want a family and a home eventually, but if having those things early is your true intention, then that's more of a reason for you not to delve into the world of fast, modded cars. If you buy an SRT4, or a WRX, and you have it paid off, with your wife and kids, and then it spins a bearing and you need a new shortblock to the tune of 4-5K (parts, not labor, so even if you and your dad do it, it's still costly) , then what are you going to do?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just really don't think you've thought this through as much as you think you have.

#14 ·
Here is my point of view young lad... :p

I am 21 years old. I started driving when I was 16 and didn't get any fancy or cool car until I was 18 ok? I started learning stick on an old and beat up family Volvo for a full year. It sucked and I hated it. The thing was terrible to drive but I learned to be patient and appreciate the rules of the road. I then switched to a quicker car that my father and I shared. I drove that for about four years and finally switched to my current car.

I don't doubt that you lack experience. There are people who drive for five years and never once have an accident while on the other hand there are people who drive for five months and have several. It's all about the individual. I rather, personally speaking, have a young teenager who's been driving for two years straight on the road than some individual who is in their early 30's and has less than two weeks behind the wheel. You understand what I am saying? It's better to be young and have driven safely for 30k miles than be older and have barely driven for 5k miles.

So what I am getting at is that I don't know you personally nor do I know anything about you. I have no clue how mature or responsible you are nor do I know about your driving skills and experience behind the wheel on the road. I will say this though, and I hope you listen carefully. Do what YOU feel is right and what YOUR family and close friends feel is right. Some people here say a WRX or SRT4 may be too much, and they may be right, while others may disagree, and those individuals could also be right.

Don't spend every last penny on a car either. Don't set yourself up with a car that is going to be breaking or draining you left and right. Don't get a car for the sake of showing off or getting a girl or trying to prove to yourself something. Get a car that you feel you genuinely can keep in good condition and not kill yourself in.

Now I will say this, getting an AWD manual light car is probably better than a heavy RWD manual muscle car. But you should test drive them with a mature adult by your side and have them be the judge of whether or not you can handle it. I know I'm dragging this post out but I really don't want you making a decision or regret later.

Also, please forget about zero to soccer practice times and modding.

Good luck and keep us posted! :D

#18 ·
I've talked about this stuff with my girl and she said my car has to be done before the kids come because when they do I can only spend money to fix what is broken or I have to wait until they're 18 and I'm not going to be like 40 before my car is fast that's just not happening.

#19 ·
You are 16 and talking with your girlfriend about marriage, raising kids for college, and forming your entire life around your future together?

Dude that's so crazy! I legit was in the same boat when I was 17 and dating this girl for over two years!

Good luck man! Hope you're mature and don't make the mistakes I did to make that fall apart.

#27 ·
Worrying about/trying to have a fast car at 16 is quite natural but that does not change the fact that a fast street car at 16 is a bad idea. If your goal is to get a sub 4 second 0-60 car on the cheap then you should not be looking at Subarus at all. So... I would suggest avoiding the money pit fast and furious dream for the near future and focus getting more of a reliable-beater for now.

Trying to have kids at 16 is quite simply a monumentally bad idea in general that smacks of tremendous ignorance.

#30 ·
If you're about to make one of the two mistakes... splurge on the nice car (if you can afford one). I'm 29 with 2 kids, and kids are no joke. One day you'll be more than thankful to have awesome kids - I am... I can't imagine not having them; but I also can't imagine having THEM (which you could (twins), then you're really screwed) at the age of 16. If you do wind up having kids this early in life, I would seriously think about joining the military or something. I've been in for 10 years now and it's the only career I can think of that would allow you to support a family this early in life... unless you just really have the talent and land a sweet gig after high school (that's if you make it to graduation). Don't make life harder than it already is.

#32 ·
You've gotten good guidance here.

Don't lock yourself in with kids young.
Don't lock yourself in with expensive car payments no matter what.
Don't lock yourself in with one person when you're young either.

You've got so many great years of debauchery and wild moments ahead of you, don't ruin that now. Kids at 16? **** that. Stop watching MTV and pay more attention to Charlie Sheen's life decisions.

#33 ·
Look thanks for all the advice but seriously my childhood was ruined when I came to this town and I'm trying to put my life back together I love driving and I'm extremely interested in cars. I plan on going to UTI to become a mechanic and my family already said they'd pay for it. I don't like fast in furious car for I'm not into the stickers and fart cans I just want a decent car. I'm not getting any other car and my decisions are between the two beginning ones.

#40 ·
My childhood was ruined as well. Instead of being raised I got to watch my parents go through divorce and do nothing for my brother and I but compete with each other trying to prove to the other parent who's a better parent rather then actually raising us

Good mindset to get your life in check, however wrong solution

You need to seriously worry about yourself first and taking care of yourself first before you can ever think about being able to take care of another person and kids

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
16 and kids is a massively bad decision. You're still a kid yourself at 16. And just because you did donuts in a parking lot doesn't mean you can drive. Call again after you've driven 20 or 30,000 miles and seen some real close calls.

And if you're mature enough to steal your dads car and drive to New Mexico, you're not mature enough for a fast car or kids. Sorry to say bud.

#41 ·
This literally makes you sound like everyone else your age

You are a kid acting like a kid so you're going to get treated like a kid

Also, there's no money as a technician like there was years back, and it's continually getting harder. Unless you're going to own your own shop or do side work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.