Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 WRX limited vs. STI limited. What does $10,000 more actually buy?

87K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  MotoSteve 
#1 ·
I used to have a 2004 STI, so I know about the "prestige". But back then the STI was a huge jump over the WRX. Way more power, 6th gear, brembos, BBS wheels, better everything. I modded it pretty heavy with UTEC computer, downpipe and full exhaust, a too many smaller items to remember. I drag raced it a lot, auto crossed a couple of times, and drove it like it was stolen for a few years. I even spent $800 to "de wing" it with a painted to match Impreza trunk and debadged it. So I'm not much for letting everyone "know" I have an STI.

Fast forward to 2016. The WRX has almost as much power, more torque earlier, and on paper, a better daily driver. Dyno tested: 2015 Subaru WRX vs. 2015 Subaru WRX STI

Limited to limited, it's about a $10,000 price difference.

For a daily driver with kids and no more visits to the race track (those were my single days), I'm having a real heard time justifying the extra cost.

What exactly does the STI's limited slip get me over the WRX? I never utilized the DCCD in my STI, it was faster in "auto".

Brembos aren't required anymore now that I see the WRX can go from 60-0 in 109 feet. I'm not worried about brake fade on the street.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Yep.

OP, It sounds like you have already made your decision and are mostly looking for further confirmation. So I say go for it! The WRX is a terrific value and is a very fun DD. :)

As far as what the actual differences are..
Limited to Limited is not the same as comparably equipped. Comparably equipped option wise the difference is only about 6.5K-ish. You may not want the options that would make the WRX limited comparably equipped to the STi limited but it is an important distinction.

Outside of options, some other differences are the STi has:
Better AWD
Better Brakes
Better Steering
Better 6 Speed
Better Wheels (even if both are 18")
Better Tires
Better Seats
Stiffer Chassis
Firmer Springs
Higher peak HP
Higher Peak Torque

In short the STi is a more robust platform and tighter car in many respects.

You may well not value these differences as much as the difference in price though. Additionally, you may actually prefer the more commuter focused torque curve and softer springs in a daily driver. In which case you should definitely go with the WRX. :)

#3 · (Edited)
I can tell you I went with a WRX Premium. The 2016 WRX Premium and Limited both have the nicer 18' wheels, 6 speed manual and inverted suspension. I could not justify the price jump. I wanted cloth also, so I was happy to only get the Premium. I am supper happy with the car I have. Both are awesome cars, but I went with the one that was easier on the wallet.

#4 ·
I disagree. If you plan on modifying, the STi is the better option. Much stronger driveline, puts the power down much more effectively, and more parts available.

#5 ·
I agree with zax disagreeing. While I have never had an STI, all specs indicate the STI is much more the car to have if you want to modify and go fast. And remember the old saying, "There is no replacement for displacement." As for OP question - I'd vote plain WRX for the street, given your comments.

#7 ·
I never utilized the DCCD in my STI, it was faster in "auto".
Regarding this statement: understand that the DCCD is far more than just the adjustment. In auto mode, the system is far superior to the mechanical viscous coupling in the standard WRX.

Reactions: TheJ
#11 ·
Its actually a $6500 difference if you equip the cars equally. The STi limited includes nav/hk audio/push start, but that is a $3100 upgrade for the WRX limited.

#12 ·
I'm a 2015 STI owner. My vote is for the WRX, but go base or premium model. Separate the things you want from the things you need and save a lot of money. I love my STI, but if I had to do it all over again I would have kept my 13 WRX and saved the money, while having a great DD that was fun to drive.

Just my .02.

#13 ·
in my opinion... in the 3rd generation the WRX was a "better" choice for those doing light mods and just having fun on the streets... but now for the 4th generation the WRX has lost it's one small advantage over the STi (longer gear ratios and a little lighter) so in my opinion, if money was no issue, just get top "dawg" Rex (aka the STI) and have a field day... :D

good luck of course and keep it us posted! :D

#14 ·
i was here, and decided on a 2016 WRX limited. a couple other pro's for the WRX, cheaper insurance, cheaper car payment, better gas milage. when i quoted a WRX vs the STI there was a 40 dollar a month difference for my auto insurance. financing an extra 7000 dollars, across 5 years is also 116 a month not counting any interest. and gas milage, while not majorly different, you may safe an extra 5 buchs a month with the WRX.

I have a stage 2 w/ upper intercooler pipe, light weight crank pulley, and mishimoto intake and put down 315 whp on a mustang dyno. pretty similar # to a similarly modified STI.

visually minus the wing, you cant tell the difference between my car and an STI either. the 2016+ 18"s are 2009 STI rims, i like them alot.

I say go WRX, unless you want to run 10's, then the STI may be more up your alley, but for most people I feel like, as a daily driver, and fun daily driver at that the WRX is where its at.

Oh the comment nothing beats displacment, i cry foul. Nothing beats a fat pocket, you can make any car fast, there are 2.0 liter 800HP+ cars running 9.xx's all day, there are also 6.2 liter 707HP SRT hellcats, that have trouble hittings 11.xx's........ Id take the 2.0 over that 6.2 any day.

i had a 2.0 liter 454ehp EVO, and ate every 2.5 STI i came across alive on the street and the track.

#15 ·
Oh the comment nothing beats displacment, i cry foul. Nothing beats a fat pocket, you can make any car fast, there are 2.0 liter 800HP+ cars running 9.xx's all day, there are also 6.2 liter 707HP SRT hellcats, that have trouble hittings 11.xx's........ Id take the 2.0 over that 6.2 any day.

i had a 2.0 liter 454ehp EVO, and ate every 2.5 STI i came across alive on the street and the track.

And if you'd have had a 2.5 liter EVO modified the same, you'd have eaten them even quicker :).............

#18 ·
I have been an American V-8 guy most of my life until I got my '15 WRX premium and this discussion underscores a huge difference between imports and US cars. The top end model of US cars have very minor differences; a little more horsepower and some badging - that's pretty much it. The STI has a tighter steering gear ratio that the wrx even, in addition to a bigger engine, and all the other things mentioned. I mulled over the STI option for a while, could have had either. In the end the fuel consumption of the STI was the biggest deal breaker. Brembo's were too, if I'm honest. Unless you're going to the track on a regular basis, they are just not worth the money. The wrx is an awesome street car. The STI is a great track car that can be driven on the street, but is not a street car at all when it comes down to it.

#20 ·
I went back and forth between trying to decide if I wanted a new STi or WRX. My previous car was a 05' STi which had been modded, brought back to stock and modded again. After going back and forth doing all the reading/research, looking at the pricing and options I decided to go with the WRX.
I really didn't see the point in spending another 6-10K for a car that was never going to see the track and live it's life as a daily driver. I am sorry, but once you cross the 40K mark there are so many other cars that I would rather own in that price range.

#21 ·
Absolutely nothing wrong with picking the WRX over the STi. Absolutely nothing irrational, illogical or unsound with not valuing the differences between the two more than the price. The WRX is a great car and a great value.
However, even the newest 2016 STi starts at under 35k though. Not even really close to 40k. I got a fully loaded with every possible thing in my new 15 STi limited and I didn't even paid over 40k (before tax). No need to inflate the price to make your decision sound more convincingly right.

#22 ·
This is a tired argument that has been around in the USA since late 2003.

You will always have the people who bought a WRX that have to prove to the world that they're car is way better than any other car. This becomes particularly difficult because the WRX is the lower trim version of the STI.

Then there are the people who bought the STI merely because it's the top-trim level of the Impreza that want everyone who bought the WRX to recognize they don't have the highest trim level of the Impreza.

This is a silly argument either way. I might be one of the few people here who have actually driven both the WRX and STI (2015 variants) on an AutoCross course. The WRX is a great value. The STI, despite the older motor, is quite easy to DD and mechanically superior when considering all the working bits. Does that make the WRX any less great? No. The 911 GT3 is a fantastic car. The base 911 is also a fantastic car.

As far as daily driveability: The (2016 base and all 2015) WRX and STI both have similar spring rates and damping and EXACTLY the same chassis. The fact that the STI gets monotube inverted struts actually means the STI has the more supple ride compared to the WRX. Both are stiff as hell. The FA20F motor gets into peak boost much quicker and has a higher compression ratio than the EJ257 which helps the torque between 2000-3000 RPM. However, the FA20F is still 25% down on displacement and driving around in vacuum (where you spend most of your driving) means the STI feels less forced and torquier. The more aggressive gearing in the STI help it feel more spritely from a stop but detriment the car in terms of economy. The fuel efficiency is where the STI really falls on its face: a heavy driveline, aggressive gearing, and decade-old motor design can't help the STI in this area. It's something you have to sacrifice when purchasing an STI.

Reactions: Koogs
#23 ·
Well put.

Talking about performance wise, I would say the STI is superior to the WRX in almost every single way. I've driven both the WRX and the STI in both the 3rd (2012 wrx & 2013 sti & 2014 wrx) gen and the 4th gen (2015 wrx & 2015 sti) and will say that in the 3rd gen the only aspect I liked about the WRX over the STI was that it was noticeably quicker and more fun on a road, especially on the straights. Other than that the STI felt far more planted and it obviously was able to handle and even slow down better. For the 4th gen though that STI is superior in every single way possible to the WRX and even the small little advantage the previous generation WRX had to the STI is now lost in this current generation.

Either way to the OP just get whatever you are comfortable with. If it were my money I would buy a base model STI over a fully loaded WRX but if I had to spend the extra $10k I would just look for another car altogether.

Good luck! :)

#24 ·
I'm with the Sti faithful. When I went to buy my 13 sti earlier this summer I test drove the 15 WRX and it made me feel like I was driving to work in some terrible office space type setting and the Sti pretty much grabs you by the loins.

Both are nice rides just depends on your personality and preferences.

#25 ·
I own a '16 WRX sport-tech(canada version of the premium...i guess)
My best man owns a '15 STI....i drove it a couple of times and i have to say that i clearly miss something with my WRX. Here in canada you have the basic STI for 1000$ more !!! But this means no harman kardan, no sunroof, no start button(who gives a **** anyway), no full-leather seats.....

The only thing that made me hesitate is the harman kardan....sound is important to me and i've been throught sound system modifications a lot in the past and i'm not into that anymore. That's why i went with the WRX.

For 10 000$ more you have the premium STI but if i had 50 000$ to spend on a car i would definetly not go with an STI.

#28 ·
OP, will you put the $10,000 difference into mods? Or are you honestly planning on leaving it to factory spec.

Just asking because I thought I was done at stage 1 with better handling/braking/power. It never stops.

Can you honestly not mod it?

If so, sure, get the WRX and save on gas/insurance/etc.

#29 ·
Well after reading all of the above posts "ITS very clear that CASH MONEY" is the issue. I bought the 2015 Limited STI and it sucked!! until I did the Full Cobb stage 3 Plus the over size Turbo, Now my cheap mans Porshe can get up and go and race BIG HORSE POWER V8's Haa ha Custom Yune By Harvey up here in CO. 4.5 second logged 0-60 runs at 6000 hound foot elevation!! WOW just imagine what it will do at sea level! The nice thing about my STI is it still looks stock from the outside, nobody nows the POWER 468 HP at all 4 wheels. But Sti's are built for this, DO NOT BUY ONE! unless you have the money to reach the STI's full potential.I'm have a ball, swapped our my Dulaps for High end Michelan snow tires, ice and snow man is it fun.
I'm just a weekend warrior for recing the rest of the week I back off on the pedal and drive it. BTW The Cobb Package V3 update is coming out in 2-3 weeks to run enthanol and flex fuel it will automatically read the amount of ethanol in the meter and adjust on its own so you do not have to re flash and empty your tank to run ethanol. Just waiting now for the V3 update. I'll probably be over 500 HP at the wheels? well see. I keep u posted.

Dabluestreak

#32 ·
So Sorry Zak, that you feel that way, these were my personal thought my thoughts. It is a personal and CASH MONEY is important in purchasing a new car. I don't no what you do what you drive and really do not care. I'm retired Zak and was fortunate to my a HUGE LIVING, and I saved my money, now as far as WRX or STI are concerned and if you plan on road racing on a closed track or inline dragging you better have an STI or a lot of CASH MONEY, ZAK don'y be so harsh, I no what its like eat canned beans. Depending on who you are and what you enjoy either vehicle will suffice
ZAK, have a great day

dabluestreak

#34 ·
10,000 more gets you the sti power, transmission, differentials, brembos, and 245 tires.

Brembos $3500
Wheels and tires $2000
Stage 1 protune $1000
Transmission and diffs $0 because you will not be able to measure the difference until you are putting over 300whp on the ground and tracking every weekend.

The wrx clutch and gears seem to break after abuse at the 1/4 mile for 400+ whp test mules. The clutch is more common than a gear.

BTW, the sti transmission fits the fa20. P&L Motorsports swapped an sti transmission into their wrx.

Aftermarket clutch $1200 including install? But never needed with a stage 1 tune.

I love the wrx. At this point, it is looking like I should have bought a base STI as I am headed for stage 2 and possible turbo upgrade. But I am not worried. A better clutch is all I should need. And, I have a car that weighs at least 100# less and gets better mpg.

#35 ·
Sorry you don't read between the lines Subi enthusiast 2015 STI Pikes Peak CO. amateur racer Lets ice race its fantastic up here. How about rally and road racing? I'm all in. "Thats what STI's are great for" A daily driver? Stiff bumpy noisy I have a second SUV 2016 Mercedes 550 G AMG that smokes my modified STI but way more comfy as a daily driver.
Hope this helps. Don't forget I'm a Subaru STI FAN!!!
Merry Christmas,

dabluestreak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.