Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 Mazda 6 Touring 6M/T

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 ·
I had a chance to spend some time behind the wheel of a new Mazda6 Touring 6M/T this afternoon. Since M/T vehicles are sometimes difficult to locate for a test drive, I lucked out that a good friend recently bought one and was home for the long weekend.

What I took away from my time with one:
1) The car is gorgeous. I find just enough aggressiveness to really draw my eye, but not as "OMG! Look at me!!" as my boy-racer mobile.
2) Room. This car has a lot of it. Engine bay, interior, trunk. I'm so used to an economy-sized vehicle, I sometimes forget how nice it is to have actual usable room, whether it's for long drives without being cramped, to being able to put things in the trunk, to being able to do spark plugs in under 90 minutes.
3) Drivetrain. The clutch is feather light with a low engagement point (compared to my stiff / high engagement clutch). The gearing is also fairly low. The shifter felt good (it's a midsize sedan, not a performance car), but I would certainly be looking at something aftermarket there (I don't know what bushings are available, but that would be something I'd want to add).
4) Engine Performance. At 185bhp / ~3200lbs, it's not a powerhouse, but it's no slouch either. I found while I was driving it through the twisties, it loved being in 3rd/4th gear, offering enough pep out of a corner to bring about that smile that comes from a cruise in the country.
5) Handling. I didn't really push the car to its limits, but was able to play with it a little bit on some familiar roads. There was a tad bit of understeer (to be expected), but I found the car overall to be very planted in corners. Very good for the class of vehicle it is.
6) Interior. The seats were very comfortable. Some seats can be constricting for a fatty like me; these provided enough support for the fun sections, and were great in the cruise sections. All sorts of electronic toys are here (touchscreen system, back-up camera, blind spot detection, etc.). The only real gripe I had was with the B-Pillar and it being difficult to see around. Between the passenger seat headrest, Chris in the passenger seat, and the Pillar, I found one intersection that took me a bit to verify it was clear before proceeding. Chris mentioned the A-Pillar has given him issue, but I didn't experience that. Maybe with more driving it would become apparent, or maybe Chris is losing his mind. Maybe both!
7) Overall impressions: I want one. I think a longer more extensive test drive is needed before committing, but this car lived up to what I was hoping for. Honestly, it did a bit better than I was hoping for, and made the draw even stronger.

Thanks again to Chris for letting me drive his car before it's probably even had its first oil change.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great writeup, Matt! I love it when folks that I know review a new car; you get the impressions in language that you can understand.
Is that engine direct injected? If there's one thing that my BRZ has taught me, it's that hp numbers don't mean quite the same thing, any more. Great response, and surprising available torque at lower RPMs, in a small, fuel-efficient engine.

#3 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Great writeup, Matt! I love it when folks that I know review a new car; you get the impressions in language that you can understand.
Familiarity with the reviewer definitely gives you some insight on what to take from it.

RayfieldsWRX said:
Is that engine direct injected?
Yes, it's D/I. I think that the days of P/I are slowly going the way of the carburetor.

RayfieldsWRX said:
If there's one thing that my BRZ has taught me, it's that hp numbers don't mean quite the same thing, any more. Great response, and surprising available torque at lower RPMs, in a small, fuel-efficient engine.
This is by no means a replacement for the STI. It is completely in a different league. I'm looking for something to retire the Subaru from daily-duty, but still have available for when true hoonage is needed.

My requirements for the new DD:
1) Manual transmission. I want three pedals. It is becoming more and more of a unicorn.
2) Fuel economy. The Mazda6 would probably net 40+% better MPGs while saving 15% per gallon since it only uses 87 octane.
3) More room. I couldn't even fit the 40" LCD television I bought years ago into my Subaru; I had to get an SUV to pick it up for me.
4) More creature comforts. I love my STI for what it is; it's harsh (and I haven't made that better with upgraded suspension/drivetrain components), and it begs to be driven hard. I want something that is a bit more driver-/passenger-friendly for the boring commutes and road trips.
5) Something that can still excite me when asked of it. I'll still have winter/summer tires for the car, so I want the car to be able to handle cornering and put a stupid smile on my face when I want to have a bit of fun.

#4 ·
That all sounds pretty reasonable. I can relate..it's tempting to pretend to be a snob and say "my sports car or nothing!"...but the truth is that I have the wife's minivan to fall back on for a number of tasks that require more space. Plus we'll have a small SUV in the driveway, within the next week, if all goes according to plan.

I'm still thinking that my ideal "empty-nest" scenario consists of a nice, reasonable pickup that can hold 4 people, go backpacking and haul stuff, and then a wild sports car sitting in the garage. I guess I haven't sorted out the "good mileage" part, which you've so intelligently thought out, lol.

#5 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
I'm still thinking that my ideal "empty-nest" scenario consists of a nice, reasonable pickup that can hold 4 people, go backpacking and haul stuff, and then a wild sports car sitting in the garage. I guess I haven't sorted out the "good mileage" part, which you've so intelligently thought out, lol.
Tough to beat the Tacoma with that requirement list...if I had any real use for a truck, I would absolutely be going with that. Unfortunately, I just wouldn't use it enough to be able to justify the added costs. The other issue with the Taco for me is that there is a TRD S/C kit that I would have a tough time not buying; I want my DD to be basically stock (shifter/suspension mods aside).

#6 ·
I've even considered going [gasp!] domestic, and finding a few-years-old F150 as a beater/DD. You can get one with decent mileage for well under $20K, and I think (based on anecdotal evidence) that they're fairly bulletproof. Not good on gas, of course.

#7 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
I've even considered going [gasp!] domestic, and finding a few-years-old F150 as a beater/DD. You can get one with decent mileage for well under $20K, and I think (based on anecdotal evidence) that they're fairly bulletproof. Not good on gas, of course.
IIRC, you had that Ranger for a long time that served you well. I'm stuck on the M/T aspect, so many domestic trucks don't show up on my radar...

#8 ·
Yeah, I hear you, but I have a wife that's not going to go for manual. My enthusiast ride will always be manual, of course.

I got rid of the Ranger a while back; the money helped towards the BRZ downpayment, plus it had a cracked block, sealed with JB Weld. I don't miss "it", but I miss the utility of a pickup, here and there. Need to go to Lowes, and get 5 bails of needles for the yard, several 8' 2x4's, and a sheet of plywood..? Trivial. I took it for granted when I had it. Now I have to size things so that they can go in the back of the van, or sometimes even in the BRZ with the cargo area down. (It actually creates a surprising amount of area when you put the back seat down)

#9 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Need to go to Lowes, and get 5 bails of needles for the yard, several 8' 2x4's, and a sheet of plywood..? Trivial. I took it for granted when I had it. Now I have to size things so that they can go in the back of the van, or sometimes even in the BRZ with the cargo area down. (It actually creates a surprising amount of area when you put the back seat down)
They rent a 350/3500 truck for like $15-20/hr here...just enough time to get home, unload, and return. They've never been anal about the timeframe, so if it comes back in 70-75 min, I've only ever been charged the one-hour rate.

That's part of the reason I'm hesitant to buy a truck; between the rental from Lowes / Home Depot, and my uncles who I can borrow anything from a full-size pickup with different trailers to a dump truck from, justification is difficult.

#10 ·
I was actually in the same boat as you earlier this year. I bought a 2015 Mazda 6i Touring and retired the WRX from DD duty.

Around the city I get around 26mpg... Freeway trip (65mi roundtrip) I get about 32mpg no problem. All these numbers are after I got the car tuned w/ Orange Virus Tuning (E-Tune)... (All you need is Epifan-Mazdaedit, Tactrix 2.0, and the tune) I don't have dyno numbers but throttle response is increased according to the butt dyno.

As for handling, it does sway a bit with under-steer but doesn't feel like you're driving a boat. The electric power steering is tuned well, but I wish it gave a little more feedback. It's wrong wheel drive.... :[ Engine is direct injected w/ 13:1 compression and uses 0w20 oil and drinks 87, unless you get tuned for 91-93.

Creature comforts aren't bad... Wish mine came w/ sunroof and heated seats, but it wasn't an option with the manual. Also, spend some time with the radio to make sure you like the interface, the 2015 has a complete sh|t system.

Jumping back and forth between my WRX and 6, the WRX feels like crap compared to the fit and finish of the 6, but the WRX has the raw feel an 'enthusiast' wants.

And you can fit 4 18" wheels in the trunk no problem.... but not a medium dog carrier.

#12 ·
Nice piece. I have liked the Mazda brand every since my RX-7 Turbo days. I am glad that the 6 offers a good blend of functionality, performance and handling.

#13 ·
Nice write up thanks! I'm quite fond of the look of the new 6. It's sporty but slightly refined and I've frequently found myself admiring the exterior and wondering how it drives.

#14 · (Edited)
Don't be fooled by the pretty looks and the manual transmission.

I came from the 2015 mazda6 manual transmission and if I were to do it again I would have picked an automatic. Believe it or not this is probably the only case I'll make for an automatic. But the automatic on the Mazda 6 feels so much better and faster and actually has better gas mileage. That automatic transmission is straight up amazing what mazda has done. Off the line aceleration is a straight up dud with the 6 speed compare to the automatic. The car being so slow shifting actually felt like a chore. When I was loaned an automatic while my car was in for service I realize I made a big mistake by choosing the manual over the automatic.

But overall the Mazda 6 is an incredible car for the price. And I would have kept it if it was just a tad bit faster or if I have chosen the automatic.

Watch this review, where the reviewer states that the automatic is just a better choice over the manual transmission... And I had the same sentiment

https://youtu.be/UaR2iu0dWXc

#16 · (Edited)
chutoyy said:
I was actually in the same boat as you earlier this year. I bought a 2015 Mazda 6i Touring and retired the WRX from DD duty.

Around the city I get around 26mpg... Freeway trip (65mi roundtrip) I get about 32mpg no problem. All these numbers are after I got the car tuned w/ Orange Virus Tuning (E-Tune)... (All you need is Epifan-Mazdaedit, Tactrix 2.0, and the tune) I don't have dyno numbers but throttle response is increased according to the butt dyno.

As for handling, it does sway a bit with under-steer but doesn't feel like you're driving a boat. The electric power steering is tuned well, but I wish it gave a little more feedback. It's wrong wheel drive.... :[ Engine is direct injected w/ 13:1 compression and uses 0w20 oil and drinks 87, unless you get tuned for 91-93.

Creature comforts aren't bad... Wish mine came w/ sunroof and heated seats, but it wasn't an option with the manual. Also, spend some time with the radio to make sure you like the interface, the 2015 has a complete sh|t system.

Jumping back and forth between my WRX and 6, the WRX feels like crap compared to the fit and finish of the 6, but the WRX has the raw feel an 'enthusiast' wants.
Exactly what I'm hoping for. 40+% better MPGs at ~15% reduced fuel costs. I have multiple OP2.0 cables, and would DIY calibrate the ECU, but I will keep this car basically stock in terms of powertrain. Stereo would probably get a 75% overhaul (H/U, component front speakers, amplifier, 8" subwoofer, sound deadening), wheels/tires (need both summer and winter sets here), shifter, and that's probably it.

The sunroof/moonroof is a big deal to me, because that's part of the reason I'm looking at another car, but three pedals > moonroof. I do kick myself every so often for not just getting the UGM 07 STI Limited when I had the chance, but I was a Junior in college at the time, and the better financial deal was to get this car.

Shook187 said:
Don't be fooled by the pretty looks and the manual transmission.

I came from the 2015 mazda6 manual transmission and if I were to do it again I would have picked an automatic. Believe it or not this is probably the only case I'll make for an automatic. But the automatic on the Mazda 6 feels so much better and faster and actually has better gas mileage. That automatic transmission is straight up amazing what mazda has done. Off the line aceleration is a straight up dud with the 6 speed compare to the automatic. The car being so slow shifting actually felt like a chore and one that was giving in automatic while my car was in for service I realize I made a big mistake by choosing the manual over the automatic.

But overall the Mazda 6 is an incredible car for the price. And I would have kept it if it was just a tad bit faster or if I have chosen the automatic.

Watch this review, where the reviewer states that the automatic is just a better choice over the manual transmission... And I had the same sentiment

https://youtu.be/UaR2iu0dWXc
Let me address your two "cons" pretty simply:
1) I don't want an automatic. I like being engaged as I drive, rowing through the gears. If I needed/wanted the two-pedal experience, I have those vehicles available.
2) The Mazda6 is not at the top of its class in terms of horsepower; there's no denying that. If I was going out for a fun drive, I would take the 400+hp Subaru instead.

My logic for enjoying this car is three-fold:
1) Comes in manual transmission
2) Better economy / utility than the STI
3) Corners relatively well (for a midsize family sedan), for the spur-of-the-moment grins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.