Subaru WRX Forum banner

2014 wrx limited sedan vs 2015 370z nismo tech w/ auto

7K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
I know the new 2015 370z nismo tech fully loaded AND with the automatic transmission is anywhere between $44k - $48k which seems to be unfair when compared to a car worth under $30k but what do you all think? Obviously in snow, rain, ice, gravel, and mud the wrx will kick butt, but for pure performance aspect in a clean environment on good road, is there anything a wrx has over this 370z?

Thoughts? :D

#2 ·
Im going to assume you are comparing stock vehicles with zero mods.

I just looked up a couple specs on both vehicles.

14 WRX limited makes 265 hp@6000 and 244 tq@4000. Has 103.3" Wheelbase and weighs 3252lbs.

15 Nismo auto makes 350 hp@7400 and 276 tq@5200. Has 100.4" Wheelbase and weighs 3381lbs.

I have a 14 Limited Sedan, but have never taken a 370z on the road, so I can only speak in theory.

If we are to compare a drag race, I think traction will play a big role. An inexperienced driver in the 370 could have wheelspin well in to 2nd gear while the wrx will hook up launched properly.

The 370 makes more peak power 1400rpm later than wrx. 370 makes more peak torque 1200rpm later than wrx.

Again, we are comparing auto to manual.

As for handling, the wrx has longer wheelbase, which suggests more stability at higher speeds. The shorter wb of the 370 may turn in tighter. At the end of the day, you can steer\drift with throttle on the RWD 370 through the corners.

#3 ·
Great response and thanks for your information! :)

It seems like if both cars are launched properly the wrx is quicker to 60 but gets beat in the quarter mile, which is understandable due to drive-train loss. Rolling starts or cruising or 40-120 runs also favor the Z obviously.

Yea I brought this up because I was cruising on the highway and a Z-Nismo rolled up, honked 3 times, and took off. I was being kinda lazy that day and didn't feel like going after him but was impressed on how well he took off. They aren't as loud as I would expect but they look nice.

Seems like a nice car.

#5 ·
I remember I was in a 350z a little while ago and the thing I loved the most about the car was that you could actually wipe your rear window haha. Not sure why that was such a big thing for me, but I was impressed on how practical it was to be able to do that, especially when it was snowing or raining.

Btw I think you should go for a Nismo because an Evo or Rex would just make you think of your previous car while the Z is a new experience... not as practical... but a new experience... I know my next car (in probably 5+ years) will be a 2 seater coupe...

#6 ·
It's the little things you start loving about your cars like that. I spoiled myself though, I love having a turbo. But the response of a z, and the exhaust note....haha that's why I'm torn

#7 ·
Well then go for the Z man, sounds like it will make you have a good time and what not. :)

Dumb-question of the day though... the Nismo exhaust is only a little louder than the sport model right? Would you modify it for anything? I ask because I did a little reading a while back and people say you buy a 370z SPORT for the ability to have cost-effective mods in the future while you go for a 370z NISMO if you're going to keep it around stock...

See for me personally I love the exhaust note of my car more than anything, so I wouldn't go for another car unless it had either a similar sound or even more aggressive pitch to it.

#8 ·
Styling is a big factor for me too. So nismo gets a point. However what can you really do as far as performance on a z anyway? All I can think of is engine mods. They already seem to have a good suspension, I don't know of any engine management systems, turbos are expensive. It's a car that would pretty much stay stock. I like to play around with things too. Screw it I'm just gonna get them all

Best thing you can do is just really drive whatever your interested in. You'll know right away how you feel about a car within the first few seconds of seat time.

#9 ·
I test drove a 370z touring (the convertible one) and they feel pretty planted and nice.

But I agree with you, the styling of the body and the flexibility of the car is important. I think a 370z Nismo would be the way to go. It would be one of the few cars I get as an automatic just because I heard those paddle-shifters are just as good as a Porsche's paddle-shifters, so bonus points for that.

http://media.tumblr.com/49cb0cf71fd184c260ff1b518d66d071/tumblr_inline_mp9fd2xk1p1qc9lhz.gif

#12 ·
Lol oh man I can't imagine how annoying it would be. Maybe fun at first cause you're sideways all day and barely moving along because it's lower, but that'd be annoying

Plus they're limited on room. I might opt for a g37 coupe. Maybe an ipl if stick and coupe were possible

I'm planning on going to the plains in the upcoming few years for storm chasing so I've been wanting the wrx or sti hatch (even though I prefer sedans) because the extra room for gear and equipment, food etc. Plus fold the seats down and lay a mattress in if it fits and sleep in my car instead of a hotel at the end of a chase day

#19 ·
Well I had a company vehicle so owning a rear wheel drive 6spd was no big deal. You could start in 2nd or 3rd and completely baby it and it would just all the suddenly turn a 180. Worst car ever for winter conditions. My 1978 Z28 was 100 times better with positrac and a th350 trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.