Subaru WRX Forum banner

15 Wrx, Sti, BMW 335i vs.....

24K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
Okay hello people I'm new to the forum and I'm going through a tough time deciding on a vehicle to get. I currently have a 13 GTI that I'm leasing and I'm glad I did because in a year in a half I've had the 3 water pumps go out battery just died this morning and I feel like this car is riddle with absolute failure I the future if I buy it at the end of the lease.

So now with regrets of not getting a 2013 sti when I had the chance I'm now looking into getting another car. My options are

WRX or STI
Lease a 335i

Or these
08' M3
07-12 335i or 335is
08-11 Audi S4
08-12 Infiniti g37
07-14 WRX or STI

I have yet to test drive any of these cars but I plan on doing that this weekend. Was hoping to get some input by the people.

Also what I plan to have this car be my daily driver from work and school. I live in Vegas so I have not found a track here just yet to take it to but I do like tearing up the canyon roads, mountain roads and wouldn't mind going to the California to track the car or just taking road trips as well. I also am not looking to do much into modding right now unless I get a WRX. I want something that is stock and needs minor changes like exhaust, wheels and suspension.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was going to lease the 335i because I don't want to pay 51k+ for a car right now. 36k Is my budget right now, the lease is only something my dad told me about a GM could get me into one for a good monthly but I'm not into leasing since my car credit is established now.

#4 ·
How much do you care about luxury? If its a huge factor to you, go with the s4 and ill suggest the cadillac ats, the bmws are really not that nice inside. If you are going to go luxury, make sure you get a low mileage car with a warranty.
One luxury car that you should definitely look into is the cadillac ats 2.0t(272hp), it isn't as fast as these other cars you listed(maybe the infinity), but will outshine them all on the mountain roads.. the ats is honestly a really amazing car in that aspect. Not to mention that I think it's much nicer inside and you can probably lease one for ~$340

With a budget like 36k, just forget about leasing a new 335. Your monthly would be way too much. Definitely something over $500/mo, aand we are talking after a down payment. After 3 years you will have probably spent over $20,000 and will have nothing to show for it. At least, if you bought a sti or wrx it would be over half paid off and you could have some cash in hand if you decided to sell it.

I was actually in your position not too long ago, my car prior to this was a stage 2 gti. I decided that I didn't care about luxury or making a statement, I'd rather have a car that is practical, reliable, relatively cheap and performs like a champ.

I ended up buying one of the last new 14 wrx hatchbacks. I considered the 15, but I couldn't go without the hatchback. Anyway....

I bought the 14 for 25k and put about 4.5k into it. At this point it is better than all of the cars you've listed in every aspect, aside from luxury. So basically, I drive a car that cost me 30k and it outperforms pretty much any car that costs twice or even three times the price.

#6 ·
The WRX is just a good bargain for what you get, both performance and power wise. I had a budget of about 40k but didn't see the need to spend more than 30 after checking out what Subaru had to offer. Bmw has been very tempting but I'm pretty hardcore into Japanese quality. I also don't really like to lease, it's a lot of money to borrow a car.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I believe I'm gonna go and test drive a WRX after work. Don't think the local dealer has an STI on the lot. I seriously would be sold on the 15' WRX if only it had(this will sound stupid) the trademark boxer rumble and I will admit I like the over the top wing. I lIke hatch backs but I wouldn't mind the sedan at all. As far as luxury I don't really car for car interiors as long as it looks decent and has the essentials inside. I'll look into the ats as well although I've never been a caddy fan.

#8 ·
Food for thought, Audi and Vw are the same company.

Infinity is a Nissan, which I've found to be problimatic.

As far as Bmw, I don't have experience driving them. I know they go through catylitic converters.

I personally have a 14 wrx limited sedan. It is fun to drive, handles good. Computing on the freeway is not a strong point. At 80mph in 5th, the car turns 3200rpm.

#10 ·
Yeah I was against all American Cars until I drove the ats, best car in the category imo. The second you throw it around a corner or take it on a mountain road, you won't be able to wipe the smile and disbelief off of your face. It may even feel more planted than a wrx.

But yeah, <30k gets you a car that you will love and has all the simple features that you need. I know a lot of people do trunk swaps, you could probably pay some more for the wing if you really wanted it. I still like the sound, not as much as the 2.5 but the 2.0 still sounds better than most other 2.0s.

#11 ·
I know audi and vw are the same. The 2015 WRX is definitely a steal at 26k, there was no STI in stock but I was ready to buy until they tried ripping me off some how my payment would end up being 513 a month at 72 months at 2.9% interest with 3k down. They wouldnt give me the invoice price of the vehicle either. Not to mention in the little background knowledge I have of subarus I knew more than the salesman and he didn't have answers for the questions I had.

#12 ·
That's actually about right. After drive off fees and interest... I would put 0 down though. You might have a few options to drop the price a but more. If you are going to get an extended warranty / paint and interior protection you can def get the car at invoice. Without warranty you can tell em that you want the car for like 300-500over invoice, assuming that price works for you.

I know some subaru guys that can get you the exact invoice for that car send me a pm if you're interested.

Where are you located?

#13 ·
Just noticed you said 72 months. Yeah that is pretty high. I'm assuming that they are automatically adding on extra things(warranty, paint protection, anti theft) then taking them off once you argue with them about price, so that you feel like they are giving you a deal. It's a ****ty sales tactic that finance guys usually do.

#14 ·
That makes no sense. My payments are $440 a month on an STi for 72 months 2.1% interest. Granted I put down $7500 but that should still be more financed than what you were quoted.

I also don't like the 72 month financing, but I just pay $550 a month and it will be paid in 60 months.

#15 ·
They came back with some numbers again I'd be paying 410 for a premium model 430-440 for a limited base and 500 + for a STi for the 72 at 2.9% with 4k down. They keep trying to get me to come back in to do the financing but they don't even have the vehicles available.

#27 ·
Where are you located?

#23 ·
I think I've kinda locked down a price point in my payment for a base STi guys but I was only wondering and I hope I don't get flamed here....what about the Lancer EVO, I have read Mitsubishi is going to come out with an EVO Final edition for a farewell but I was also considering my options. But of course there are no EVOs to test drive in Vegas either >_>.

#24 ·
I'd encourage you to test drive the Evo. It is also an impressive performer.

To use me as a case study, those who have been around these forums know my love affair with the Evo X. I surprised many with my 2015 order. Simply (and likely for the first and last time), the STi is the better buy this time around. Corners just as hard, has equal grunt, and is more liveable from day to day.

The Evo responds better to basic modifications, so if your end goal is modification, I'd urge you to consider the Evo first.

#25 ·
Evos are awesome, I've only driven my friend's stock automatic MR, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Stiffer ride than sti I would say, faster too. Launch control is pretty fun to screw around with, pretty crazy acceleration. In the corners it may feel a bit more connected than the sti.... but I can't tell you if it can out handle the sti stock vs stock. It does have a pretty ****ty interior, all cheap plastics and rattles from the first day you own it....sti definitely wins in the interior category. I can't really speak to reliability, because I don't own one, but I've heard they aren't as reliable as the sti.

I thinks it's going to be a toss up in the end. Just pick whichever you like better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.