Currently own STI, thinking of going back to WRX. Talk me out of it...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Currently own STI, thinking of going back to WRX. Talk me out of it... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I used to own a 2011 WRX Premium 5-door (fog lights, sun roof, navi, heated front seats, short throw shifter, ...

Currently own STI, thinking of going back to WRX. Talk me out of it...

I used to own a 2011 WRX Premium 5-door (fog lights, sun roof, navi, heated front seats, short throw shifter, exhaust tips, exhaust tip finisher) and I loved it. I now own a STI and I don't love it as much (I prefer the 5 gears in general [power throughout the gears - STI bogs a bit in 6th unless at speed]; faster 0-60 as wrx gets to 60 in 2nd gear; because of the gearing and the lighter wrx, I really felt that *head-snapping* acceleration more... I actually loved the sun roof). STI does certainly have good power at higher speeds but how often to I need to go 100mph?! Also, STI breaking and suspension is nice however I don't track the thing (have my GT-R for that ;P ) but rather, use it as my daily driver (and thus don't mind a slightly smoother ride) and I'm thinking that I can have the WRX with the features I like as well as add some stuff and still have a great car.

Money not really being a concern (other than it would be nice for whichever I choose to hold it's resale well; I heard the STIs keep their resale better?!), can you guys objectively convince me one way or the other? I would prefer people that have experience owning and/or driving both to respond, if possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sri holds its resale but if you don't love it you don't love it. Get a car you love. Can't talk you out of it...already sounds like you low what you want
    Stinkeye member 520

If money isn't the problem then I will trade my wrx for your STI straight up.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well first off Welcome!
    Based on your wants it seems the WRX is the better fit.
    If your using it as a DD the WRX is a more well rounded.
    The STI is more performance and race driven which is great for the track, but runs out of room quick on the street. I live in the Burbs, so the need to do 100 is never.
    Anything mutch more that what I have now, would be pushing it.
    Especially if you have a GTR for a track toy.

Best thing to do is go to your local dealer and drive both, see what you prefer. I'm fine with my Stage2 WRX, it does what I want. And it makes a great balanced daily driver. But it's your car, we can only offer opinions.

I would love to see pics of your GTR. What year is it? What's it running on the track?
    Hopefully that will be my next car. You definitely have good taste in imports, I'm jealous, but +1 anyway.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronw9 View Post
    Aw didn't see that...should have called dibs first
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronw9 View Post
    Haha -> well, you know what I mean, lol. Have you ever driven a STI?

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Well first off Welcome!
    Based on your wants it seems the WRX is the better fit.
    If your using it as a DD the WRX is a more well rounded.
    The STI is more performance and race driven which is great for the track, but runs out of room quick on the street. I live in the Burbs, so the need to do 100 is never.
    Anything mutch more that what I have now, would be pushing it.
    Especially if you have a GTR for a track toy.

Best thing to do is go to your local dealer and drive both, see what you prefer. I'm fine with my Stage2 WRX, it does what I want. And it makes a great balanced daily driver. But it's your car, we can only offer opinions.

I would love to see pics of your GTR. What year is it? What's it running on the track?
    Hopefully that will be my next car. You definitely have good taste in imports, I'm jealous, but +1 anyway.
    2015. Haven't actually tracked it but went on a few rally runs. My profile pic should show it now. Also:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141019_163323-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	176913

Quote Originally Posted by fatfreddyscat View Post
    Haha -> well, you know what I mean, lol. Have you ever driven a STI?
    No i haven't but I'm currently at stage 2 on my 07 WRX so the power might be close. I know the suspension is a little firmer but I'm young and can take it lol

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfreddyscat View Post
    2015. Haven't actually tracked it but went on a few rally runs. My profile pic should show it now. Also:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141019_163323-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	176913
    That thing is I'll!
    I like the white.
    That thing must move, show some pics under the hood.
    After I pay off my WRX and buy my Mom a Forester.
    Then i can start looking for something in that range.
    Just seeing it makes me jealous.
    Am I correct in assuming you have no wife or kids?
    I don't. Just my house my Mom and my Cockapoo.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

That car is sick!!! I'd have one if I didn't have two car payments, kids and a stay at home wife etc

As to the topic. STI holds value like nothing I've ever seen. The WRX is much more tame but I wouldn't go through the trouble of trading for one just for a tad more comfort. That is unless you were checking out a 2015.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are perfectly logical and sound reasons to buy either the WRX or STi independent of price. However, many if not most of the variables only the buyer can know.

If I was looking with little concern for money and I wanted a DD AWD sedan significantly more comfortable than the STi with decent performance.... I would go check out an Audi.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    BTW I always find it strange when people get so concerned about 0-60 times. I get it is an old benchmark left over from yesteryear of American muscle cars but it is an exceedingly poor indication of overall performance. Especially in a practical sense. How often do you race to 60? On a street or a track? Truthfully, if you are terribly concerned about going the fastest in a straight line on dry clean pavement to 60 there are many better choices out there than anything Subaru offers.

Not liking the way the STi gears are so short is a perfectly valid concern but worrying about how the extra shift effects your 0-60 time seems a bit silly to me.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Ride or the gtr is a lie. ...
    Stinkeye member 520

What's up with that plate on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    That thing is I'll!
    I like the white.
    That thing must move, show some pics under the hood.
    After I pay off my WRX and buy my Mom a Forester.
    Then i can start looking for something in that range.
    Just seeing it makes me jealous.
    Am I correct in assuming you have no wife or kids?
    I don't. Just my house my Mom and my Cockapoo.
    Correct -> no wife nor kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.