15 WRX vs Jetta GLI autobahn with navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 15 WRX vs Jetta GLI autobahn with navigation within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Guys, I am looking for a new winter beater / long trip car. I have a 15 Stingray a ...

15 WRX vs Jetta GLI autobahn with navigation

Hi Guys, I am looking for a new winter beater / long trip car.

I have a 15 Stingray a 2000 jetta and a 2009 tiguan.

I love the looks, interior, handling, mileage and highway cruising of the MK6 GLI.

I am looking to keep 10+ years like my current MK4

I am good with FWD in the snow have never had a issue, Don't need tons of power I can still do a stage 1 APR to 265HP but that is really all the VW powertrain can handle.

Do you guys think I am crazy when I can get a 15 WRX for the same money with 50 more HP and AWD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by keenanj View Post
    Do you guys think I am crazy when I can get a 15 WRX for the same money with 50 more HP and AWD?
    No.

However I find it absolutely remarkable that you have purchased VAG products in the US market and found them reliable. That's what I find crazy. If they work for you, fantastic. I'd have preferred Subaru for the reliability (bone stock) but since you have not and are not having problems with VAG reliability I see little reason for you to switch over to Subaru, especially since you don't absolutely want AWD.

It is guaranteed you will get more power from the Subaru but I don't know how important that might be for you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

VW reliability has not been a issue for me I have owned multiple jettas and pushed them past 200k without any major issues.

There are small thing for sure but parts are cheep and i can usually fix myself powertrains have been great.

my current jetta has 140k on first clutch TSI tiguan has 90k and like new just doing a tune up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats!

One thing I'll add is that I suspect you will find the VAG interiors to at least look, if not feel and age, better than Subaru. Definitely drive before you buy.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Take a drive in the wrx. You'll fall in love with the awd. The traction it offers on the tight bends and off the line is a awesome feeling. Its nice not worrying about spinning out the rear end if you apply too much throttle on a turn like rwd. If your ok with the crap interior, the wrx will be a different kind of fun compared to the stringray.

If you just want something nice and comfortable, then i say stick with the vw or look into some unused acura's.

Yes I have driven a WRX and a EVOx and believe me I like the turn in and their easy mod ability.

You can't mod the stingray easily (I just have a 480BHP tune) but it has plenty of performance out of the box the 7 speed with rev match and dual mode exhaust is great.

I drove (and enjoyed) a 2011 VW Gti for the past few years. Had a few issues (tire pressure monitor, 2 fuel injectors) other than that it was reliable. To be fair I never modded the vehicle it was a DSG bone stock from day one. Great little car, never drove it in the snow though.

I took my Benz to get serviced and the service guy noticed my VW keys and asked me what I had. He raved about his 2013 GLI that he was planning on staging and how he was upset that there weren't alot of mods for it yet. Which seemed weird considering there are so many options for the Gti but it is what it is.

Here's the deal: Get what you want. I got a WRX more for the bad weather here where I live than the performance. The GTI was damn near the same price as the WRX for 2015, it was a no brainer for me with the winters we get. It might not be the same for you.

Either way you're getting a good car, and if you maintain it properly either would last you a long time. I will say this though............ I've owned my WRX for 5 days now, and everyday is better than the last. I can't say that about the Gti in all 3 years I owned it.

Fantastic! The first few comments in relation to VAG's reliability is just want I was looking for. I always hear horror stories about the quality of vw, but I feel like anything else...its a reciprocal relationship between user neglect and possibly manufacturer quality. nonetheless, there has to be some merit to it. I'm thinking about getting the jetta sportswagen, or whatever it'll be called in the near future. Would you say VW refined their reliability since 2008?
    2014 WRX 5DR Ice Silver Metallic. Cobb Short Shifter, Invidia Dual N1 CBE.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not purchase a VW at this point, due to a really crummy experience renting a Jetta on a business trip. My Subaru's haven't been perfect, but I have as yet to own a car that had the gremlins that this one did...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ar-future.html
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I would not purchase a VW at this point, due to a really crummy experience renting a Jetta on a business trip. My Subaru's haven't been perfect, but I have as yet to own a car that had the gremlins that this one did...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ar-future.html
    Eletrical issues....same kind of issues happened to a friend who has a 2008 A4. That's a real shame, but what I gather from different forums is that VAG vehicles are basically a gamble...not in the market just yet, so I'll give it more time.
    2014 WRX 5DR Ice Silver Metallic. Cobb Short Shifter, Invidia Dual N1 CBE.

Here is the thing if you are able to fix simple things yourself VW's are great I have 1 99 and a 09 both out of warranty and powertrains are solid I just took the 99 on another 800 mile trip with 0 issues.

If a sensor or switch fails they are super cheap to get and easy to replace and tune up is the same.

I have vagcom and a scan tool and can change every option in the cars and easily diagnose any issue.

If you are the type that has to bring your car into the dealer for the smallest thing a VW out of warranty may not be for you.

some people are just afraid of german cars for no real reason they usually end up driving boring badly styled hyuandis :-}

I wouldnt exactly call a '15 WRX a "Beater".....

If you looking for a long trip good highway cruising car, you will be disappointed in the wrx. It's the only thing I don't like about my wrx. I never take it on long trips.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess it depends upon the definition of "long trip". I've taken mine (with stiffer springs and struts than stock) on up to 8 hour trips, without it being too big of a deal. No, it's not as comfy as the wife's minivan for that kind of distance, but it's not enough to make me dislike the car.
    It's all what you're used to, I think. I commuted back and forth to college in a '70 VW Beetle, for pete's sake.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by keenanj View Post
    Here is the thing if you are able to fix simple things yourself VW's are great I have 1 99 and a 09 both out of warranty and powertrains are solid I just took the 99 on another 800 mile trip with 0 issues.

If a sensor or switch fails they are super cheap to get and easy to replace and tune up is the same.

I have vagcom and a scan tool and can change every option in the cars and easily diagnose any issue.

If you are the type that has to bring your car into the dealer for the smallest thing a VW out of warranty may not be for you.

some people are just afraid of german cars for no real reason they usually end up driving boring badly styled hyuandis :-}
    I am able to fix things.

A car should not need this though. A car that needs things fixed cannot be great.

I own no scanning tools whatsoever for my Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. My fourth car predates OBD. Of these, only the Honda and Toyota are truly great. Why? Because I don't need to know anything about them whatsoever.

If VAG achieves that again, they'll be great. They're not in the contest right now though IMO. SEAT and Sköda are doing interesting things in minis and superminis, but VW and Audi are frightening at times.

In my view, when you throw away your scanning tool, then the car will be great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.