Subaru WRX Forum banner

2010 370z to 2015 WRX

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  TownLine500 
#1 ·
I need a vehicle more practical than my 2010 Z. I live in Connecticut and my Z is useless in the winter. I drove the WRX and. It was great. Has anyone gone from a Z to a WRX? It is hard to get over the exterior design. Does anyone have any regrets of getting rid of their Z or other vehicle for the WRX.

I think about keeping the Z but my friend thinks I would be foolish to own both vehicles.

#5 ·
Never locked back after WRX. I drove Hondas Mustangs, Trans Am. All wheel drive is great. But you must run 2 different sets of tires. One summer, one winter. I'm on my 2nd WRX, and I love it. I also recently purchased a Honda Civic, that my little brother is driving.

#7 ·
I went from an 08 350z touring 6 speed to my 13 WRX. Absolutely no regrets. I have a lot more fun in my WRX than I ever had in my Z. Especially when it was sitting in the car all winter. Mods on the WRX also seem a lot cheaper and more effective. It's only a matter of time before I upgrade to a 2015+ STI.

WRX >>>>> Z

#8 ·
Not sure of your financial situation but unless you are emotionally tied to the Z there's no reason to keep it. Especially if you're still making payments and/or it is a fair amount to insure and pay taxes on every year. I mean if you get a WRX you're gonna wanna drive that everywhere. I mean if the WRX was a family sorta car that you were buying for that reason and it's all-weather prowess that's different. But the WRX has plenty of power and is sporty. So it kills the need for the Z.

I was in a similar situation in that I looked at a WRX/STi thinking yeah a sporty car to replace my Xterra and then I can drive it in the winter, plenty of room in case I haul people, and I can rent something to tow my utility trailer to the racetrack with my motorcycle a handful of times a year. Then I got the STi and I thought the following:

1. The Xterra is paid off and cheap to own.
2. The Xterra I can use for he handful of times a year we get snow so therefore no need to get a second set of rims and tires for the STi

Therefore I kept both. If you are plenty rich then you could keep both but it seems like both cars are sporty cars with the WRX having the advantage of hauling more people and being better in the winter, IF, you get a different tires. WRX will be crap in the winter with the stock tires from what I hear.

#10 ·
Also owned an '07 350 Z HR, was a great car but I traded it in for a '13 WRX Limited and haven't looked back. Only thing I miss about the Z was the power at higher speeds, around town and from light to light the WRX is just all around so much better. Also, being in MA, I can relate to the need for something that can handle all the seasons and still look good/perform good.

Bang for the buck is much better in the WRX. Short of F/I, upgrading the Z just wasn't even worth considering.

#12 ·
I went from my beloved 300zx TT to a '09 WRX wagon just over 2 weeks now. I miss the high end power of my Z and the fact that its so responsive to simple bolt-ons (makes easy power) compared to the WRX. However the WRX is alot more practical and all rounded, and actually quicker off the line than the Z.

I'm always changing cars though and want to experience every drivetrain and turbocharged/supercharged/naturally aspirated. Out of all the cars I've had the 300zx TT gave me the most enjoyment, but I still haven't had enough time with the WRX.. pretty sure the awd will get me to places I couldn't reach with any other.

#13 ·
Keep one vehicle, it's cheaper.

#14 ·
That's for sure.
I started to enjoy having 2 cars. My little brother wrecked his truck, that I had just paid off.
So he is driving my Civic. It's nice when I'm doing big mods on my WRX that I have the second car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.