WRX sound
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX sound within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! So I have a 2014 wrx limited sedan with the factory SPT cat back exhaust installed. I love ...

WRX sound

Hey everyone! So I have a 2014 wrx limited sedan with the factory SPT cat back exhaust installed. I love the sound. Whether it's at idle or moving or just screaming down the road, it's a fantastic note to the car.

My question is though... what are some cars that produce a similar sound or even better? What I find odd is my car is much louder than c6 corvettes or even the newer mustangs and challengers, which all run eight cylinders instead of four.

Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unequal length headers and a horizontally opposed engine = Subaru rumble.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Video of your car's sound?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

MTM
    My cars probably louder. Not that, that is a good thing... Its actually too loud. lol. sounds like the SPT sounds nice.

Yea I guess that makes sense.

It's just interesting how a four cylinder rally car roars louder than these big and bad muscle cars.

Oh and I don't really have a video, but, if you look up any wrx sedan (2011-2014) with a SPT Cat-Back-Exhaust and a stock engine it should be very similar if not the same to the sound of my car.

The reason I ask is because I was just trying to figure out what vehicles out there are even louder than my current car.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The UEL header design allows for exhaust pulse interference. The interference causes constructive and destructive pressure interference that gives the exhaust the characteristic "boxer rumble." The constructive interference actually increases the apparent magnitude of the pressure wave meaning the resulting noise has a higher level.

Ironically, though Turbocharged motors tend to consume more fuel (you'd expect them to be louder), the turbine acts a bit like a muffler and the exhaust note tends to be quieter.
    Last edited by zax; 09-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Hondas are louder...but not in a good way
    Stinkeye member 520

Yea you guys make some good points.

The reason I ask is because my friend is looking for a new car. His first car. He says he wants something with performance but also something with an aggressive sound to it like my Rex.

We looked at some muscle cars like a 2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Corvette Z06, and a 2013 Camaro SS together.

He test drove them, liked them, but said they were not as loud as he expected, especially from higher performance vehicles.

He has around a $35k budget so he cant really afford (nor wants to spend) more money on aftermarket exhausts or upgrades to make his new car sound nicer.

I told him that sound =/= performance, but he says that he will spend 99% of the time cruising slow, and just wants a good rumble and roar to show off.

Yolo?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Hondas are louder...but not in a good way
    Faaaaaarrrrrrrttttt caaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!!! (Oh look, the Civic just hit 30 mph)
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've always thought the Porsche 911 turbo has a nice aggressive exhaust note.. especially with EWG and open downpipes.

Last edited by MainFrame; 09-24-2014 at 10:54 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I prefer the air-cooled 911's for sound, no turbo required. This guy's car sounds amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5-MoDUuRg
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.