2015 wrx sti vs 2013 acura tl sh awd
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on 2015 wrx sti vs 2013 acura tl sh awd within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I am looking at a sti and my friend keeps telling me to get the car he has. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Garwood, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8

    2015 wrx sti vs 2013 acura tl sh awd

    Hey guys, I am looking at a sti and my friend keeps telling me to get the car he has. He owns a 2013 acura tl sh awd with a 6spd manual transmission. Any opinions? I know they cater to two different classes of people but are they really THAT far off? Both have 300hp, about 280 lb ft of tq, awd, sedan, manuals etc.
    Can I get some opinions?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    652
    I Support ClubWRX
    The Acura is a really nice car!
    I looked into them when I had my Honda, the issue I have with Acura it's a fancy Honda.
    In Japan they are all Hondas, Acura is the Us version. I'm now partial to the WRX, I traded in my Honda to get my first WRX. I drove that 3 years then got my 2013 WRX brand new. That Acura is just an over priced Honda Accord to me. They start at $45,000. You can get an STI starting at $35,000-42,000 the base model to the limited.
    You could get a STI new limited, and still have $3,000-5,000 for customizing you car.
    It all comes down to personal preference, drive your buddy's car than test drive STI. Then you can make a comparison based on your taste, and driving style.
    Last edited by TownLine500; 09-07-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Garwood, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    The Acura is a really nice car!
    I looked into them when I had my Honda, the issue I have with Acura it's a fancy Honda.
    In Japan they are all Hondas, Acura is the Us version. I'm now partial to the WRX, I traded in my Honda to get my first WRX. I drove that 3 years then got my 2013 WRX brand new. That Acura is just an over priced Honda Accord to me. They start at $45,000. You can get an STI starting at $35,000-42,000 the base model to the limited.
    You could get a STI new limited, and still have $3,000-5,000 for customizing you car.
    It all comes down to personal preference, drive your buddy's car than test drive STI. Then you can make a comparison based on your taste, and driving style.
    I drive a 2012 mustang and a miata and have driven his car a few times, even to the limit (as he has driven my cars). And the thing I always thought was how you are very disconnected from the road in that car (it rides wonderfully, its fast, and big) compared to my cars. I havent even ridden in any wrx ro sti yet (have sat in them though). But they seem more driver centric, and for the enthusiast who likes the drive, not someone who just wants a fast sedan. But, I do admit it has a nicer interior.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    72
    if you want mod ability and full time awd get the sti.

    If you want nice interior and comfort, get the TL. The SH-awd in some ways is more advance then the subaru with the active torque splitting while corning but its basically fwd until you lose traction or a corning situation where you need to move the torque.

    In my personal opinion i dont think the sh-awd in the TL is as performance oriented as the symmetrical awd of the sti. If its the RL or the new nsx its a different story.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    The sti will hold its value much better than the acura, and looks much nicer, imho. If you drive the acura no one will know what it is, kind of a sleeper. The only drawback with the sti that I see, is that it is very loud on the highway. If you drive your car at altitude the sti will perform much better than the naturally aspirated acura.

  7. #6
    Registered User Goose42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Poby View Post
    The sti will hold its value much better than the acura, and looks much nicer, imho. If you drive the acura no one will know what it is, kind of a sleeper. The only drawback with the sti that I see, is that it is very loud on the highway. If you drive your car at altitude the sti will perform much better than the naturally aspirated acura.
    Turbos starve at altitude.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

    Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

  8. #7
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,107
    Huh? Turbo'd cars lose less power at altitude.

  9. #8
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,561
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Turbos starve at altitude.
    Since the atmosphere is less dense at higher altitudes, an atmospherically aspirated engine will lose output significantly whereas a turbine's performance will not be affected nearly as dramatically. As a result a turbocharged engine is an advantage at altitude. This is one reason why turbos are so popular in aero applications.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  10. #9
    Registered User Goose42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Since the atmosphere is less dense at higher altitudes, an atmospherically aspirated engine will lose output significantly whereas a turbine's performance will not be affected nearly as dramatically. As a result a turbocharged engine is an advantage at altitude. This is one reason why turbos are so popular in aero applications.
    Thanks for the correction sir, not even sure what I meant by that statement!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

    Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

  11. #10
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,913
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The SH-AWD system is easily one of the most advanced AWD implementations in production. Essentially, SH-AWD can actively vector torque to any of the four wheels. That being said, the TL is not a performance car. It's big, heavy, and soft sprung. Both may have 300hp, but the STi weighs about 800lbs less than TL, which means the STi will be faster in just about every measurable way. For interior luxury, the TL wins without a question... And you get Honda reliability.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  12. #11
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,561
    I Support ClubWRX
    Whenever I see an AWD Acura I'm tempted.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Garwood, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8
    The SH-AWD is badass imo compared to the brake vectoring (if im not mistaken) in the STI. What about size wise. The sti isnt ALL that smaller but opinions? Im hoping to do a lot of ski trips in the end of December. If you know the area. Blue mountain (probably not snow covered) , Elk mountain (might be snow covered), and Jay Peak Vermont (snow covered for sure) are the ones I want to hit 1.5hrs, 2.5hrs, and 7hrs respectively. And myself being on the larger side (6ft 240lbs), friend (6ft 5inches 280lbs), and another (about 6ft1inch 210lbs) I want to be sorta comfortable on the trips. Yes I want to be difficult and not take the Tacoma, or Honda Pilot we have access to.

  14. #13
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,913
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The new STi is not a small car TBH. It's fairly light for it's size, but there is a lot of interior space. Yes, the STi uses brake vectoring on the front axle (:-/), but does have active vectoring in the center diff and torsen passive LSDs in front, center, and rear diffs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Garwood, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The new STi is not a small car TBH. It's fairly light for it's size, but there is a lot of interior space. Yes, the STi uses brake vectoring on the front axle (:-/), but does have active vectoring in the center diff and torsen passive LSDs in front, center, and rear diffs.
    it literally goes tit for tat with 3 series sedan and TL SH AWD. Sometimes bigger (ie: headroom) and then sometimes a tenth of an inch smaller. I wonder if i can find how much tq the xdrive and sh-awd can transfer (isntthesubie only like 10%)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •