Car & Driver: WRX v. GTI (Sept. 2014)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car & Driver: WRX v. GTI (Sept. 2014) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just received the Sept. issue of Car and Driver, which has a WRX v. GTI comparo. They liked the ...

Car & Driver: WRX v. GTI (Sept. 2014)

I just received the Sept. issue of Car and Driver, which has a WRX v. GTI comparo. They liked the WRX and found it faster and "fractionally more fun to drive" than the GTI around their closed loop, but cited uneven power delivery, a "touchy throttle," a harsh suspension, tire and wind noise, and "wander[ing] on the highway" as downsides. The GTI's steering, ride quality, interior, and general refinement gave it the win: "The GTI blunts the WRX's small outright performance advantage...by delivering spectacular steering, excellent brake feel, and ride quality that is so much better than the WRX's that it more than erases the Subie's small handling edge." In short, they said the "GTI doesn't extract payment for its performance the way that the WRX does," and called the latter a "one note experience with some regrettable side effects." Still, they did like the WRX. They said for "good and ill, the new WRX is a great WRX, wholly consistent with its lineage," and that it's a "distinct flavor that's not really offered elsewhere."

I haven't driven either, but given everything else I've read about the WRX, I was surprised C&D cited such a large gap in comfort, ride quality, etc. I would expect the GTI to win those areas, but not so dramatically given the WRX's improvement and how livable the last generation seemed. (I tested the 2010 WRX, and it was smoother and quieter than I expected.) I was also disappointed that, due to its earlier defeat at the hands of the GTI, the Focus ST was omitted. I understand the rationale for an "elimination tournament" approach to comparisons, but I'd still like to know how they think the Focus and WRX compare to each other.

Why? Because after my experience with a Jetta GLX VR6, I won't buy another VW unless I'm thoroughly convinced their reliability woes are in the rear view mirror. I'm far from convinced. So, for me it comes down to the WRX and Focus ST in this segment, and I'm really curious about the changes to the 2015 Focus ST, especially the new steering rack. (I have tested the 2014 ST, and loved it, but with all else being equal I'd prefer AWD, and, having sat in the new STI, I strongly prefer the Subaru's more straightforward controls.)

Unfortunately, for family hauling purposes I probably won't be able to choose the WRX or the ST, even though it's my favorite class of car. I'll probably end up in the new Acura TLX with the I4/8DCT.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to know the article is out there, and for those of you who have driven both, I'm curious what you think of C&D's views.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The GTI will never lose a C&D or Motortrend comparo. I think they're under contract.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I drove both and had a hard time choosing. I really enjoyed driving both cars but the fit and finish of the gti along with the hatchback just sealed the deal for me.

If there's one thing VAG does well it is interiors and fit/finish.

Subaru's decision to forego a hatch for this generation of the WRX & STi was a marketing blunder of biblical proportions.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    If there's one thing VAG does well it is interiors and fit/finish.

Subaru's decision to forego a hatch for this generation of the WRX & STi was a marketing blunder of biblical proportions.
    This is hysterical. 6 years ago everyone said the same thing about only offering the STi in a hatch.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Honestly I was sold on the new gti, then I drove the new wrx. Granted gti has great fit/finish its as close as I can get to an audi interior very fun car go drive and its a hatch. But something about the wrx always makes me smile to me the gti is quick and the wrx is fast. Me I prefer fast the wrx just fit my preferences better

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This is hysterical. 6 years ago everyone said the same thing about only offering the STi in a hatch.
    Be that as it may, the hatch accounted for 50% of the sales of the previous generation WRX. Seems like kind of a bonehead move on their part to ignore that not-insignificant fraction of buyers.

GTI is always going to win magazine comparos. Certain cars always do.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The GTI will never lose a C&D or Motortrend comparo. I think they're under contract.
    Not unlike practically every BMW 3 series comparo done in the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    Not unlike practically every BMW 3 series comparo done in the past 25 years.
    That's exactly what I was thinking off
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Will, as some who would know, how does the standard Golf compare to the GTI, interior-wise. I test drove a mid-trim TDI Golf and the interior wasn't that impressive at all. Price-wise, it was about the same as a GTI.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    You know I was thinking the same thing. I love the GTI, bought a 2013 GTI for my wife, but it seems they win a lot in Car and Driver and Road and Track under well "questionable" circumstances. I remember an old comparison between the GTI, Cobalt SS Turbo, WRX, Evo and a few other cars. The GTI was dead last in most every category, but magically won. Under the reason was “plaid seats man!” I’ll have to link the article later but it was pretty funny reading the comments.

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    Sport Compact Car Comparison - Eight of today's hottest sport compacts tested - Motor Trend
    I have a copy of the mag that says a little bit more. Still funny. Also I might be a little sore cause I owned a 2009 Cobalt SS turbo which should have won that test, lol. God, I miss that little car.

I Support ClubWRX
    There's a long tradition of car mags giving deference to the German makes, be it VW, BMW, or Porsche. After watching BMW's 3-series show up in the "10 Best" list for so many years, I was massively underwhelmed the first time I got behind the wheel of what was, at the time, a relatively new 330i.
    I need to drive a GTI, and Ford's sport-compact options. They'd probably adjust my heavy RWD/AWD bias.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I sold my 2012 GTI with 13,000 miles on it, fully loaded Autobahn Edition, and could not be happier with my new REX! Done with FWD...
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast