Mototrend comparo: '15 WRX vs GTI vs Cooper S vs Civic Si
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mototrend comparo: '15 WRX vs GTI vs Cooper S vs Civic Si within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Time Bandits: Four Sporty Ways to Cheat the Clock - Motor Trend All Pages What do you guys think? 2nd ...

Mototrend comparo: '15 WRX vs GTI vs Cooper S vs Civic Si

Time Bandits: Four Sporty Ways to Cheat the Clock - Motor Trend All Pages

What do you guys think?

2nd Place: Subaru WRX
    Lieberman voted the WRX in first place, and here's why: "If going fast down a twisty road is your goal, check out the WRX. Great power. Great gearing for the real world. You don't need the torque vectoring because the car's so stable -- just switch everything off and enjoy. Flinty yet sporty ride even on bad surfaces -- that makes the car feel fun. Solid brakes. Just a blast. Engine even sounds pretty good for a little turbo, especially when compared to the Mini and the GTI." To support Jonny's case, the WRX was the quickest in all acceleration stats as well as around Streets of Willow. Its Real MPG combined number proved 1 mpg better than that of the lighter front-drive GTI. And the other judges heaped plenty of praise, too. Martinez: "It not only goes, it also changes directions with an impressive immediacy and control. Its grip level is immense." Kong: "The objectively quickest and most immediate here. Feels relatively plush on very big suspension movements (its control has been tuned well) -- none of that abruptness you get in the Mini." Pobst: "Gives me a sense of quality and strength, like the drivetrain and the parts in the steering and suspension are well-made. I like the damping a lot. Whereas the Civic felt too soft and the Mini seemed to be bottoming and having snapping reactions, the Subaru was very happy over some pretty wild stuff. The rally heritage comes to mind."

The divide from second to first was fractionally close, but the little things kept the WRX from the win. The gearbox felt notchy compared to the fluid GTI's (and downright clunky next to the Civic's); the brakes offered up a nice, firm pedal, but lacked any sense of linear progression, resulting in a gee-I-hope-it-stops impression; and the interior lacked the polish and quietness of the VW's. The WRX is an immensely quick, fun, and capable car; it just hasn't graduated from finishing school.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sort of, and not for the reasons of performance. Sure, the GTI could possibly be more fun to drive; I came from a 2013 Si, and although its underpowered compared the WRX, I still feel like that car had more character and was a bit more fun due to the ability to thrash it around. The reason why I take MT, Autoweek, Top Gear (minus Captain Slow),etc. with a grain of salt is that they only care about performance numbers. Performance is nice don't get me wrong, but unlike these reviewers (and lets be honest), we don't have the luxury of getting a new car every week, and thrashing it about. Many of us purchase/lease a vehicle to serve our daily commute, and only have a spirited drive time to time. So on that note in terms of reliability,overall longevity, practicality, price, and performance, a GTI should not be on the #1 list.
    2014 WRX 5DR Ice Silver Metallic. Cobb Short Shifter, Invidia Dual N1 CBE.

Glad someone posted this comparo. Just read it earlier this morning and was shocked at how different their impressions were than my own, between the WRX and GTI. I tested both of the '15 models pretty close together and thrashed both on test drives and both were fun, but the WRX was clearly MUCH faster. The GTI was fantastic and beautiful and fun but man it did not seem very fast, at least with AS tires and no performance pack. I mean, it felt like night and day. I also take issue with the assertion that the GTI has more character/personality. Granted it's pretty subjective, but it felt pretty vanilla to me, whereas the WRX felt like everything was working in harmony to make the car feel and go faster. Definitely feels like it's greater than the sum of its parts. Really surprised by the MT writeup. Maybe I'm just a fanboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sharks View Post
    Glad someone posted this comparo. Just read it earlier this morning and was shocked at how different their impressions were than my own, between the WRX and GTI. I tested both of the '15 models pretty close together and thrashed both on test drives and both were fun, but the WRX was clearly MUCH faster. The GTI was fantastic and beautiful and fun but man it did not seem very fast, at least with AS tires and no performance pack. I mean, it felt like night and day. I also take issue with the assertion that the GTI has more character/personality. Granted it's pretty subjective, but it felt pretty vanilla to me, whereas the WRX felt like everything was working in harmony to make the car feel and go faster. Definitely feels like it's greater than the sum of its parts. Really surprised by the MT writeup. Maybe I'm just a fanboy?
    I do think we have a bit of a bias, due to the fact we own WRXs. But it's like you said, everything is subjective....you don't need MT or any of these reviewers to tell you what you like. On a track I still think the WRX would spank the GTI

Dealers Ordered To Stop Selling Some 2015 Volkswagen GTIs Over Defect

LULLLLZZZZZZZZ
    granted it is a new model...so bite my tongue; this could happen to the 15' WRX/STi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoro721 View Post
    sort of, and not for the reasons of performance. Sure, the GTI could possibly be more fun to drive; I came from a 2013 Si, and although its underpowered compared the WRX, I still feel like that car had more character and was a bit more fun due to the ability to thrash it around. The reason why I take MT, Autoweek, Top Gear (minus Captain Slow),etc. with a grain of salt is that they only care about performance numbers. Performance is nice don't get me wrong, but unlike these reviewers (and lets be honest), we don't have the luxury of getting a new car every week, and thrashing it about. Many of us purchase/lease a vehicle to serve our daily commute, and only have a spirited drive time to time. So on that note in terms of reliability,overall longevity, practicality, price, and performance, a GTI should not be on the #1 list.
    This^. And for the most part, the remainder of your subsequent posts. Exactly why I sold my 2012 GTI Autobahn(highest trim) Engine was anemic, and despite others experience, torque steer was a bitch in the twisties.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

When I test drove the 14 gti it felt like I was playing a very slow video game. Hardly any feeling involved with driving one. If I wanted a nice plush commuter I'd go for it, but I don't. I want a sporty fun to drive car I can put my kid in and feel safe doing so.

Coming from an 07 g35 6mt I feel like the quality is actually better than said entry level luxury car. It felt like it was trying to hard, cheap leather, clunky electronics etc.

Last time I saw a high milage vw, my 03 jetta and friends 06 or 07 golf, those fancy soft touch materials were falling apart or scratch to holy hell. I'll keep my (pretty much) standard hard plastics that don't scratch easily and look great throughout my ownership.

WRX is bigger, heavier, roomier, more powerful and quicker. GTI is a great hot hatch. Subaru has moved on. Why this comparison test with these cars?

Also I don't know of the wrx really fits into the cars mentioned here....a MS3 (if they pull the trigger on the newest gen)' Focus ST, WRX seem more of an appropriate comparison....of the cars reviewed in the posted article, I'd replace the WRX for the fiesta ST....it seems more suitable for the cars they are comparing.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think you are far too hung up on horsepower.

FWIW, VAG has classically underrated their power ratings, just as Subaru has classically overrated their power ratings.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Actually all the dyno's I've seen of 15 wrx's are surprisingly high. Not as underrated as the gti's have been in years past, but not "overstated"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 3n1gm4 View Post
    Actually all the dyno's I've seen of 15 wrx's are surprisingly high. Not as underrated as the gti's have been in years past, but not "overstated"
    Depends on the dyno. Seems that the 2015 WRX is showing number ranges similar to the 2008+ STi and 2009+ WRX (200-240whp depending on the dyno).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I've never been attracted to modern VW's even though they have a loyal customer base. Mom has an Audi TT with VW stamped on most of the parts you can't see and that car hasn't been the most reliable and is expensive for repairs. So I wouldn't want a $25-$35,000 VW car that has repair costs as comparable to a german exotic brand.
    But maybe I'm wrong in being scared away from them.
    So the VW was something I wasn't interested in (as well as the fact it didn't have AWD).

That's funny, my VW had Audi stamped all over the parts...
    Not so much anymore.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.