What is it like to own a STI?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What is it like to own a STI? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I am a newbie here that recently signed up as I am seriously interested in purchasing a STI. ...

What is it like to own a STI?

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here that recently signed up as I am seriously interested in purchasing a STI. (2015) My first and only car is a 1.8T GTI (2000) which I still love and would never sell it to anyone, but I feel like it is time to purchase another vehicle as I recently relocated to CA and I know for sure that my car will not pass a smog test.

When I first purchased the GTI in used condition, (I bought it in 07) I was too naive to research prior to purchasing. (Had I known mk4s are the most troublesome generation ahead of time, I wouldn't have purchased it) I would say I paid for the latter as I ended up replacing the transmission twice (went from automatic to 6 spd as I had to strengthen the weakest link) and countless parts that costed me an arm and a leg simply because it was from german. I have no regret, however, as I learned to work on my car and I am now fairly confident to perform any major maintenance work without much issue.

Although I like my car, I think it's time to experience things my car did not offer -- I would like to buy a vehicle that doesn't require more than the regular maintenance work and have fun with it. I used to autocross, track and I would like to participate in near future once I am settled in CA.

What is it like to own a STI? Subaru's been on my radar for a long time and it is currently one of my top 3 cars to buy. (2015 mustang vs 2009 Cayman S vs 2015 STI) I am well aware that you got to pay to play, so any comments about maintenance cost & reliability is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i only have a wrx, but the maintenance and whatnot is relatively the same. i've had my wrx for almost 8 years now. approaching 75,000 miles. maintenance has been very simple and compares to any other car- oil changes [i do mine every 3k] and new tires [i've been through about 3-4 sets in those 8 years].

as far as reliability, generally speaking if you treat your car nicely and keep up with maintenance it will be good to you. of course some things might be out of your hands [factory defects & warranty issues, etc]. autocrossing and track will put wear and tear on your vehicle so like you said you have to pay to play.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's really impossible to comment on the reliability of the 2015 as it has only been out for several months. Subaru reliability is relatively good, though tainted often by people modifying the car beyond their skill level.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm not sure I can answer your question, but I would encourage you also to test drive the 2015 WRX and STI if you haven't. I found the STI, to sum it up, a "track" car. The "rumble" was too much, the suspension too stiff, the turbo lag too great - all compared to the WRX. This is, of course, my opinion based on what I intend to do with the car, which does not include much track time, if any. I also was kind to both cars on my test drive, barely pushing over 4k rpm on either. For me the STI would not be worth a grand or two more than the WRX, and as you know the difference is more than that.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by yukiginger View Post
    I'm not sure I can answer your question, but I would encourage you also to test drive the 2015 WRX and STI if you haven't. I found the STI, to sum it up, a "track" car. The "rumble" was too much, the suspension too stiff, the turbo lag too great - all compared to the WRX. This is, of course, my opinion based on what I intend to do with the car, which does not include much track time, if any. I also was kind to both cars on my test drive, barely pushing over 4k rpm on either. For me the STI would not be worth a grand or two more than the WRX, and as you know the difference is more than that.
    I've driven both and my experience was opposite. The STi suspension is better, the steering is better, and the car is far more planted. In reality, when you compare base amenities, the STi is much closer to a WRX limited.

The WRX is definitely the better daily driver, however.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    After I bought my STi, my gentleman sausage grew significantly and don't quote me on this... but I'm pretty sure my hairline has stopped my receding. What's more, the new STi practically has enough grip to rip the panties off your grandma's ass.

In all seriousness though, I daily drive my STi and have even taken my family of four out in it several times. I love it.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^ If THAT doesn't make you want one, nothing will.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    After I bought my STi, my gentleman sausage grew significantly and don't quote me on this... but I'm pretty sure my hairline has stopped my receding. What's more, the new STi practically has enough grip to rip the panties off your grandma's ass.
    LOLZ!

All you have to do is fine a friend who owns a WRX, and slap an STI sticker on it before going for a ride. Then it's an STI.

Mustang versus Cayman versus STI? You're activating my apples versus dump trucks neurosis. Heavy American muscle versus true sports car versus AWD sedan. All good cars in their categories, though. Good luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    What's it like having an STI? It burns when I pee...I have been meaning to see the doctor about that.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    LOLZ!

All you have to do is fine a friend who owns a WRX, and slap an STI sticker on it before going for a ride. Then it's an STI.

Mustang versus Cayman versus STI? You're activating my apples versus dump trucks neurosis. Heavy American muscle versus true sports car versus AWD sedan. All good cars in their categories, though. Good luck!
    As for the mustang, I was appointing the new 2015 one with 2.3 mazdaspeed 3 engine. They now got a independent suspension so it's supposed to be less boaty.

What makes you classify a STI an "AWD Sedan??" I thought STIs were sports car too?

I went from a mk4 gti stage 2, to a wrx. World of a difference, seriously, you will feel like a fool for not upgrading sooner.

If money is an issue, go with the wrx, you realistically will never put the sti to proper use.(unless you spend lots of time at a track)

Quote Originally Posted by disqimation View Post
    I went from a mk4 gti stage 2, to a wrx. World of a difference, seriously, you will feel like a fool for not upgrading sooner.

If money is an issue, go with the wrx, you realistically will never put the sti to proper use.(unless you spend lots of time at a track)

Best advice so far...if you really want the STI, then get it. The simple fact is that most people are better suited for the WRX because they are mainly being used as a DD. If you're not going to track the STI, you will never take full advantage of what the STI has to offer. Plus you've got to figure in the cost difference.

I priced out a 2015 WRX Limited loaded up for $35,582 and an STI Limited loaded up for $43,169 which equals $7,587 difference.

Either way it's up to you. Personally, i'd probably opt for the WRX Limited myself because I just want a fun quick DD...that I MIGHT take to the track for fun here and there, but it wouldn't warrant the extra cost for the STI to me personally.

I'd test drive them both if that's even an option and decide from there. Good luck!
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I feel the sedan's have more cooler parts than the 5doors...although I love 5 doors (and any wagon/shooting brake). But that wing.....it's just I'm not into orbiting the planet; just trying to get to work and home in one piece The guys who rock them, more power to you.
    2014 WRX 5DR Ice Silver Metallic. Cobb Short Shifter, Invidia Dual N1 CBE.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by blknylw View Post
    Best advice so far...if you really want the STI, then get it. The simple fact is that most people are better suited for the WRX because they are mainly being used as a DD. If you're not going to track the STI, you will never take full advantage of what the STI has to offer. Plus you've got to figure in the cost difference.

I priced out a 2015 WRX Limited loaded up for $35,582 and an STI Limited loaded up for $43,169 which equals $7,587 difference.

Either way it's up to you. Personally, i'd probably opt for the WRX Limited myself because I just want a fun quick DD...that I MIGHT take to the track for fun here and there, but it wouldn't warrant the extra cost for the STI to me personally.

I'd test drive them both if that's even an option and decide from there. Good luck!
    A fully loaded STi has more features than a fully loaded WRX. If you actually compare features, the difference closes fast.

Facebook me here

If I was in your position I would seriously consider the 2015 WRX over the STI for one simple reason: The engine.

Although the STI is stiffer, has better brakes, suspension etc, the engine -- the EJ257 -- carries over with tuning changes from the previous generation. I love my '10 STI all to pieces (I really do) but am conscious of the deal-breaking weakness in that motor: its pistons, specifically, the ringlands, which in the past have proven pretty fragile.

The WRX has a newer design using timing chains in place of belts, DI+MPFI instead of just MPFI etc. Although its internals are something of an unknown in terms of reliability, the FA20DIT engine it looks like its off to a good start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast