2014 WRX vs 2001 WRX - why am I disappointed

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX vs 2001 WRX - why am I disappointed within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just after your thoughts - Many moons ago I owned the 2001 WRX - Awesome car, loved the aggressive ride ...

Question 2014 WRX vs 2001 WRX - why am I disappointed

Just after your thoughts - Many moons ago I owned the 2001 WRX - Awesome car, loved the aggressive ride and everything it had to offer.

While it has been some 10 years since selling it, maybe I remember it better than it was.

I have just driven the 2014 WRX, yes looking at them again is like returning to an old friend. But alas I am somewhat underwhelmed with the new one.
    Of course it is more refined, quieter so on and so on - but it did not inspire me as they once had, way less aggressive (perhaps appealing to the mass market )

Perhaps age gives some perspective in terms of how much I wanted the original one at that time in my life, but I digress.

My questions is - are their significant differences in the performance that might account for the lack of enthusiasm for the new model ?

Please don't get me wrong - awesome car with a cult following, but someone might have owned both models and know what I mean.

Cheers

Quizuxhaderuk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

These days they are capable of more, can go faster, and are yes, safer.
    Because of that, and because Subaru knows what we, as owners, may be capable of,
    made them with many aspects of the car "detuned" for safety, and so that your work has a payoff.

Believe me when I say they aren't trying to lose the World Rally Championship.

Stock 0-60 4.8 seconds, I'd say there is a difference in performance.

Sounds like you are chasing the memory of a car that was special to you. Get the new wrx and put on an obnoxious exhaust, super stiff sway bars and springs. You'll have that same unrefined feel you seem to miss.

I Support ClubWRX

2014 WRX vs 2001 WRX - why am I disappointed

I own a bugeye with smaller brakes and smaller wheels than the 2001 bugeye and have had it since new.

It's a more interesting car than the new car. It's not as fast. It may not be as good either but I'm unsure.

However it's a better value, new for new, and is more Subaruish than the new car.

I'm not chasing memories; if I were I'd own a CitroŽn.

In fact I think I'm quite objective about Subarus; I see the turbo cars as evolving from mass produced Japanese flying taxis that are nose heavy, unrefined, poorly painted, upright, and bounce on their sway bars, to more expensive, more refined, better painted, less bouncy, mass produced mobile appliances.

0-60 mph times are irrelevant, as is rallying. If my bugeye makes 250K miles I might consider another WRX. If not I may never buy another Subaru.

Now that I think of it though the new car is better, not just faster.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-28-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.