Previous acura rsx owner. Need advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Previous acura rsx owner. Need advice within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I'm new to the forum so I apologize if I say something covered a million times, or noobish. ...

Previous acura rsx owner. Need advice

Hey guys I'm new to the forum so
    I apologize if I say something covered a million times, or noobish. To
    Give you a little history, I currently own a acura rsx type s. My current mods are Intake, exhaust, manifold and gasket, supertech valves springs and retainers, and kelford cams. Not to be cocky, but I feel that my car is fairly fast, and can hold it's own, but I'm getting tired of it. I've spent 3k on performance parts but it's still not "what I want". I want to sell it and get a subaru between the years of (04-06). My question although it's a completely different kind of car, would I be dissapointed with a wrx or should I just save for a sti? I like the fact that the sti are fast and feel like I could keep it as a daily driver without adding mods and still be fast, but from what I've read wrx stage 2 are fairly similar. I don't care as much about suspension since I'm not doing auto x, but I also need something I can drive in the winter. I hope
    I made since and I hope I can get some pretty straight and un-biased answers

-Brandon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone? Any input would be greatly appreciated

I Support ClubWRX
    Drive both. Buy the newest completely stock car with a full written service history you can find. Keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I've had both 03 RSX-S and 02 WRX. They're pretty much the same power wise, un-modified.

I'm on stage 2 making about 285 crank Hp. I'm not a huge power freak, for me the move was more of a drivetrain and lifestyle purchase. Subaru is just a better match for me. That being said, stock for stock they handle about the same, both push and understeer. But the WRX just has the grip and slightly more power/torque sooner in the powerband.

Both cars have proven to be about equal as far as reliability.

But we really can't say you will enjoy it more because we don't really know what you want out of it. That's just a question I can't answer. I can however compare and contrast the two. I myself was happy with the move. If you just want big power then look into something like a mustang lol.

If I had to choose WRX or STi, I would choose the STi if you can afford it. More power, bigger motor, bigger turbo, DCCD, LSD's, Big Brembos, better wheels, better tires, etc.

I'm gonna have to go with wreckingball on this as well. I had an 04 Saturn ion Redline with decent mod,. pushin about 220~ fwhp. I got a WRX premium to fit my lifestyle I have kids and I live in Alaska now and i love the fact I have AWD as appose to putting my car away for months on end due to crap weather. I tossed up the idea of V8 cars and some other Forced induction 4 cyls but decided I like the WRX's better than the rest. If i had another 6 grand to throw at the car I probably would have gotten an sti. You gotta go with what your budget will allow.

If power is all you're looking for then see what you could do with a WRX to put its number over an Sti for less $. Going from a base WRX you'll have almost 9k to 12k to play with to get the HP numbers of an Sti.

Those are based off the 2014 models

I really appreciate the replies! Basically to make myself a little more clear this is what I was getting at.
    I want a subaru because it's awd, so I don't need two cars all the time. The 4 doors are convient if I'm with friends or decide to start a family in the next couple years, and the turbo is there to still have fun with! I think you guys did help, but my biggest concern was if I got a wrx, or even few mods. It would be "enough car" to keep up with the buddies on the weekend, and have a little fun every once in a while, or I would need the sti to feel satisfied. If I sell my car it will be virtually even to just buy a wrx, but would need about 5-8k more for a sti

With a cobb stage 2 you are looking at about 11hp gain at $2600 so at a 1/4 of what you would save you are about 1/4 of the way to matching an sti so I guess in all reality it will come up to be about the same price. Test drive'em and find out which you like more

Wow I was under the impression that they made more power than that lol! But thanks and im going to try tomorrow, just gotta go out and find some

Im sorry I read that wrong its 31%hp gain so it would be cheaper (i quick glanced at the years 11+ lol)
    COBB Tuning - Subaru 11+ WRX Wagon Stage 2+ Power Package with V3

It's not all about power. Driveline in the STi is far superior to that in the WRX...especially in those year models. I can't stress the driveline advantage enough, that's really the reason for buying an STi. And like I mentioned, the larger motor and turbo are nice too. Which would be a better starting point if you decide to mod. I want to make it clear you need to consider more than just Hp numbers. Those are really very meaningless when looking at a car as a whole.

That being said, the WRX or the STi won't be big Hp cars. Hope I don't upset you with this. They won't be 400whp monsters without a lot of money, thousands of dollars...if you want this, look at mustangs haha. However, for reliable power on the impreza; with the WRX you would be looking at making close to 300Hp crank on a stage 2 setup depending on your mods and tune. Again Hp numbers are meaningless and vary greatly from dyno to dyno, conditions, etc. blah blah. With an Sti, a stage 2 could be a little over 300Hp crank depending on mods and tune.

Power bands and Hp/Torque will be pretty different between WRX and STi. STi will be more torquey down low with the 2.5L and have more top end power with the bigger turbo. The WRX will rev out with the small 2.0L and with it's tiny turbo will give you a good midrange punch but not much top end power or low end torque.

Whether or not you can keep up with your buddies? Well, what do they drive?

Would you be satisfied? No one can answer this.

My advice; test drive both. Know the advantages of each. define your lifestyle. Decide on a budget. Make your list of actual needs.

^ What he said

That was a really good answer, more of what I'm looking for. I just want something that will handle most 4 cyl cars on the street, and every once in a while race a v8 or v6. I know there not monster cars by any means but 300 hp should be more than enough for me as a daily driver

That's to the crank, and on a WRX I put that at the high end for a stage 2. It just all depends on your mods, the tune, and the dyno.

Those year models are actually pretty dated as far as power goes. Most new/new-ish altimas are just as fast if not faster than my stage 2 WRX on a hwy on/off ramp lol. Let's be real. At least on a straight line ramp.

For those years, i would just save the for the sti. As others have said, the difference between the wrx and sti those years is huge. The 2011-2014 years the differences are smaller.

dude, after you drive your wrx, you not even gonna remember you owned a rsx. you dont know what youve been missing out on
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.