'15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on '15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I just started a job that's about 35 miles away through heavy traffic and looking to trade in my ...

'15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6

Hey,

I just started a job that's about 35 miles away through heavy traffic and looking to trade in my C6 for a commuter and I've narrowed it down to the '15 WRX and the '14/'15 Mazda6. I know they're very different but I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I want a fun commuter with good mpg and for some reason, coming down from a C6 with 430hp to a 180 hp Mazda6 doesn't seem like a lot of fun. Beyond commuting, I like to drive on canyons, long road trips, and camping/hiking.

The catch is that I'm not sure how much of a performance downgrade I'll have to go to meet my requirements.

Some things I am considering:

- MPG
    - Comfort
    - Fun Factor
    - Handling

Is it worth getting a WRX with a 70 mile round trip, heavy traffic commute or should I go with the more comfortable, slower, less fun, more mpg Mazda6? Or rather, is it worth taking that performance hit of the M6, over the WRX? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on what you consider comfortable. My wife and I bought a 2014 Hyundai Veloster for a commuter car and we love it. The turbo is 201hp and gets 33mpg but it's still pretty fun to drive. The things that were highest on our list were MPGs and some practicality. There are lots of fun cars to drive that aren't super powerful. Have you considered a BRZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    It depends on what you consider comfortable. My wife and I bought a 2014 Hyundai Veloster for a commuter car and we love it. The turbo is 201hp and gets 33mpg but it's still pretty fun to drive. The things that were highest on our list were MPGs and some practicality. There are lots of fun cars to drive that aren't super powerful. Have you considered a BRZ?

I have considered pretty much every car within the same price range at this point and have narrowed it down to the 2 cars. The BRZ/FRS is a great sports car but I don't thing I would like the commute very much in a BRZ considering it's mostly stop and go. I'm also looking into comfort and utility as well. I've only driven sports cars my entire life (350z>s2000>335icoupe>C6) except the 2007 TL for a few months but I'd like to get something that I can drive for 5 more years that can ease into a family.

I want the WRX, I just don't know if I would be comfortable and get decent gas mileage through heavy traffic. As it is, I'm fueling up once every 3-4 days on 91 and it gets pricey.

As for the veloster or any Hyundai car, I just cannot get past their design for the life of me. Every car they have is just a total turn off. If it wasn't for the butterface of the veloster, it would certainly be a good car for me.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojit View Post
    I have considered pretty much every car within the same price range at this point and have narrowed it down to the 2 cars. The BRZ/FRS is a great sports car but I don't thing I would like the commute very much in a BRZ considering it's mostly stop and go. I'm also looking into comfort and utility as well. I've only driven sports cars my entire life (350z>s2000>335icoupe>C6) except the 2007 TL for a few months but I'd like to get something that I can drive for 5 more years that can ease into a family.

I want the WRX, I just don't know if I would be comfortable and get decent gas mileage through heavy traffic. As it is, I'm fueling up once every 3-4 days on 91 and it gets pricey.

As for the veloster or any Hyundai car, I just cannot get past their design for the life of me. Every car they have is just a total turn off. If it wasn't for the butterface of the veloster, it would certainly be a good car for me.
    If you're considering an N/A Mazda 6, why not consider a base Impreza? Are you dead set on the WRX? There are other great Subarus out there like the Legacy GT if you're willing to settle for an older vehicle, or the Legacy 3.6R. I guess I'm not understanding your reasoning for considering the Mazda 6 or the WRX. They aren't even close to being in the same class of vehicle. Why not a Focus or a Mazdaspeed 3? The four characteristics you listed are such broad strokes that a ton of vehicles fit into your parameters.

If you're considering an N/A Mazda 6, why not consider a base Impreza? Are you dead set on the WRX? There are other great Subarus out there like the Legacy GT if you're willing to settle for an older vehicle, or the Legacy 3.6R. I guess I'm not understanding your reasoning for considering the Mazda 6 or the WRX. They aren't even close to being in the same class of vehicle. Why not a Focus or a Mazdaspeed 3? The four characteristics you listed are such broad strokes that a ton of vehicles fit into your parameters.
    I want the WRX and it's at the top of my list, I just don't know if it's a good commuter car in heavy traffic. I guess personal preference is why I am considering the Mazda. I just am not sure how big of a performance difference there is between the top 2 cars I'm considering. I've driven both but I haven't really been able to open either of them up around here due to stingy sales guys and a more suburban environment that's easy to get the attention of nearby cops.

I want a fun car that can be both a great commuter and a fun weekender. I don't want to get the Mazda and regret not having enough power, yet at the same time, I don't want to get the WRX and regret not having a comfortable/better mpg car. If the WRX got better MPG, I would definitely have gone with it but as it stands, the mpg isn't stellar.

edit: I've considered the ms3, focus, focus st, fiesta st, etc. Due to personal and technical research, I crossed them off. MS3 is too raw, not my cup of tea when driving either and that torque steer yikes! FoST and FiST were great fun but I just didn't like it as a commuter. I just looked up the R-Spec Veloster and it does look great with good numbers. I think it's definitely worth a test drive.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I want the WRX and it's at the top of my list, I just don't know if it's a good commuter car in heavy traffic. I guess personal preference is why I am considering the Mazda. I just am not sure how big of a performance difference there is between the top 2 cars I'm considering. I've driven both but I haven't really been able to open either of them up around here due to stingy sales guys and a more suburban environment that's easy to get the attention of nearby cops.

I want a fun car that can be both a great commuter and a fun weekender. I don't want to get the Mazda and regret not having enough power, yet at the same time, I don't want to get the WRX and regret not having a comfortable/better mpg car. If the WRX got better MPG, I would definitely have gone with it but as it stands, the mpg isn't stellar.

edit: I've considered the ms3, focus, focus st, fiesta st, etc. Due to personal and technical research, I crossed them off. MS3 is too raw, not my cup of tea when driving either and that torque steer yikes! FoST and FiST were great fun but I just didn't like it as a commuter.
    I enjoyed my WRX, but it wasn't comfortable. I can't speak for the newer models, but the older ones had absolutely 0 sound deadening. They aren't a super harsh ride, but they are sporty derivative of an econobox. They really aren't all that "sporty" IMO, although supposedly they've fixed the suspension geometry plus they've added some other things to help with the handling in the '15 models. I have a feeling that you're very emotionally invested in the thought of getting a WRX, so you're probably just going to end up getting that. But I'd at least consider, if not test drive, a few of the WRXs cometitors. There are so many great cars out there that aren't Subarus.

i have had my 12" hatch limited since august 2013. i drive 15 miles stop and go. side streets, highway, side streets to work. i do this 2-3 times a day and depending on the time i hit rush hour and drive through 2 school districts so i would have to say the ride is somewhat similar to yours. my point is that i use a scanguage to monitor mpg and using 93 octane i get 16-18 mpg. on longer trips on the highway ill get 20-30mpg (80mph-60 something mph).

with this in mind the mazda looks like the better choice because the wrx will be more of a gas guzzler. however your looking at the 15' wrx which has the cvt automatic option. idk how you feel about shifting through that traffic. the new 2.0L T's are supposed to have better mpg than the previous year's 2.5L model engine.

as far as comfort, i like my ride quality a lot. its the right amount of ground sticking, seat hugging, comfort im looking for in a car. but that's just me. heated leather seats are awesome except in the summer but they aren't as bad as i thought they were going to be; i just put a towel down and use a windshield shade visor when parked and im good to go. i have over 10k miles i think behind the wheel and my back feels great; im comfortable. side note, with the drivers seat all the way back its easy to take naps. road nose is minimal; but i have all 5 doors and the entirety of the trunk floor and walls hush matted and i fitted foam inserts behind the dash, A, B, C pillars, and trunk gate to eliminate the plastic squeaking noises wrx's have/develop. i would suggest taking one for a longer test drive if possible. gl with that though.

lastly, the wrx is going to be easier to mod down the road if you end up wanting more power.

now some one with a 15' wrx take this man for a spin.

I enjoyed my WRX, but it wasn't comfortable. I can't speak for the newer models, but the older ones had absolutely 0 sound deadening. They aren't a super harsh ride, but they are sporty derivative of an econobox. They really aren't all that "sporty" IMO, although supposedly they've fixed the suspension geometry plus they've added some other things to help with the handling in the '15 models. I have a feeling that you're very emotionally invested in the thought of getting a WRX, so you're probably just going to end up getting that. But I'd at least consider, if not test drive, a few of the WRXs cometitors. There are so many great cars out there that aren't Subarus.
    Logically, the Mazda fits the bill, however, emotionally, you're right that I've always had a soft spot for the WRX and the 2015 seems like a good time to join the family and Subie community.

I'm just afraid I'm going to end up with a similar type of problem right now which is a harsh ride and low mpg if I go with the WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    i have had my 12" hatch limited since august 2013. i drive 15 miles stop and go. side streets, highway, side streets to work. i do this 2-3 times a day and depending on the time i hit rush hour and drive through 2 school districts so i would have to say the ride is somewhat similar to yours. my point is that i use a scanguage to monitor mpg and using 93 octane i get 16-18 mpg. on longer trips on the highway ill get 20-30mpg (80mph-60 something mph).

with this in mind the mazda looks like the better choice because the wrx will be more of a gas guzzler. however your looking at the 15' wrx which has the cvt automatic option. idk how you feel about shifting through that traffic. the new 2.0L T's are supposed to have better mpg than the previous year's 2.5L model engine.

as far as comfort, i like my ride quality a lot. its the right amount of ground sticking, seat hugging, comfort im looking for in a car. but that's just me. heated leather seats are awesome except in the summer but they aren't as bad as i thought they were going to be; i just put a towel down and use a windshield shade visor when parked and im good to go. i have over 10k miles i think behind the wheel and my back feels great; im comfortable. side note, with the drivers seat all the way back its easy to take naps. road nose is minimal; but i have all 5 doors and the entirety of the trunk floor and walls hush matted and i fitted foam inserts behind the dash, A, B, C pillars, and trunk gate to eliminate the plastic squeaking noises wrx's have/develop. i would suggest taking one for a longer test drive if possible. gl with that though.

lastly, the wrx is going to be easier to mod down the road if you end up wanting more power.

now some one with a 15' wrx take this man for a spin.
    Awesome write up! Definitely gives me a better idea over a long period of time since I've only been in a WRX for an hour at a time. That 16-18 mpg is worrying me although the '15s are rated for much higher in city.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Logically, the Mazda fits the bill, however, emotionally, you're right that I've always had a soft spot for the WRX and the 2015 seems like a good time to join the family and Subie community.

I'm just afraid I'm going to end up with a similar type of problem right now which is a harsh ride and low mpg if I go with the WRX.
    It seems like you're talking youself out of it, but are going to do it anyway. My suggestion, don't buy it. Buy a car with far better MPG ratings and a superior warranty. Drive it until either the warranty runs out or the wheels fall off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Buying a Subaru is never about great mpgs. The mpgs are pretty good on most models especially considering what all you get.... But you buy a subaru for the things other then MPGs, mainly AWD as a primary factor. You buy a WRX for more AWD-fun. If AWD-fun is not a very significant part of what you want relative to MPGs then the WRX is a poor choice.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

edit: I've considered the ms3, focus, focus st, fiesta st, etc. Due to personal and technical research, I crossed them off. MS3 is too raw, not my cup of tea when driving either and that torque steer yikes! FoST and FiST were great fun but I just didn't like it as a commuter. I just looked up the R-Spec Veloster and it does look great with good numbers. I think it's definitely worth a test drive.

If you're talking straight highway MPG...I was getting 26.5 on the highway when I picked mine up a few months ago. For a car like the WRX...that's pretty good. I test drove the new Mazda 6 and while nice...it was pathetic in performance...one of the weakest feeling cars i've ever been in.
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you live in a region where you would need AWD? I have a similar distance commute as you describe but luckily for me not much traffic in the morning. I average 21mpg while still having fun. If I was stuck in the normal commute traffic I might consider the CVT but I am happy getting the WRX. The WRX really isnt a commuter car but I dont really care considering the amount of time im in it I would rather enjoy the drive.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep the c6 and buy a cheap used civic for commuting. Reliable and great on gas, then you can have your fun car for weekends. Plus with 70 miles a day, you're going to be racking up some serious miles.

I think it's impossible right now to get both a performance car and one that good on gas in traffic. My ms3 gets about 14mpg in traffic and 30mpg on the highway without traffic. I'd imagine the WRX would be something similar. AWD eats up mpg.

I Support ClubWRX
    Things to consider:

1) '15 WRX does have a CVT option, so that will increase your MPGs if you're dead set on it.
    2) I absolutely love the new 6. I reviewed it on my website and it was my #2 behind my WRX that I ended up buying. The WRX will not return the same MPG no matter what you do.
    3) Fact: The WRX will be more fun. There is no doubt about that. However, the 6 is no slouch and IMO, the best family sedan made currently at that price point. The 6 will be more comfortable. I disagree with blknylw above on the performance. You can't compare the 2 on performance. They're not even in the same league. When you compare the 6 with others (Fusion, Sonata, etc) it blows them out of the water. The engine could use a 200hp variant, but it'll get moving and you won't feel unsafe when pulling on to a highway.
    4) Reliability goes to the Mazda, hands down. Better engine layout, larger support network, more common/cheaper parts, and larger parent company (Mazda vs. Subaru). Keep in mind, only 2 companies in the world run boxer engines (Porsche and Subaru).
    5) If I had to choose again, it'd be the WRX again. Once you drive something you love, get it. You don't want to turn around, look at your car, and have buyers remorse; especially about the second largest purchase you could make in life next to a house.

FWIW, I love my WRX as a DD, but it's not a '15. It's a 14 hatch and, like mentioned above, it's excellent. I get combined 22-23mpg per tank with 65/35 highway/city split, 100% stock. Unless you're driving it like you stole it, you will see better mpg than I do. The '15 is getting reviews saying it's a bit of a stiffer ride than the '14s and before because of the chassis rigidity improvements. Even so, I'd still go WRX if it was me. My 2-cents and good luck with your purchase.

Hope to see a new owner in the New Member Hangout section soon!
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.