'15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on '15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah, none of my commentary was meant to say that the Mazda6 isn't a great car for general use, with ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, none of my commentary was meant to say that the Mazda6 isn't a great car for general use, with perhaps a sporty flair. I was just pointing out that 2 cars, with 4 doors, similar price tags, and marketed to the world as "sporty", can actually be VERY different cars from a "driver's car", or engineering, point of view.

I know a lot of people out there that see the word "Sport", or "S" added to a model designation, and assume that it's some kind of enthusiast vehicle. When I first got my WRX, a girl pointed out that we had similar tastes in cars. She drove a Corolla S. I smiled and nodded, and let her keep her illusions (the S was a sticker/aesthetics package), but if people are on here asking for opinions, I usually point out differences.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    a girl pointed out that we had similar tastes in cars. She drove a Corolla S. I smiled and nodded, and let her keep her illusions (the S was a sticker/aesthetics package), but if people are on here asking for opinions, I usually point out differences.
    That is FUNNY! I completely agree with you btw. The WRX and 6 are designed to different priorities. One is a minimalistic awd hardcore sports sedan and the other is a nicely finished sporty fwd family sedan.

Both are segment leaders. The right one for you is based on your individual priorities.
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

I Support ClubWRX
    They need to bring back the mazdaspeed6. That's a good comparison for the WRX.

I really like what they did with the new mazda6, not surprised at all by the motor trend review. I think the comparable choices for the wrx are pretty small right now, especially without the hatch model.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Really? So all the motor failures of the WRX and STi motors over the last few years should be ignored? How about transmission failures? Or the poor fit-and-finish in Subarus?

I think you're turning a blind eye to all the pitfalls of each brand. The Focus ST seems to have a much better track record, save from the motor mount issues, than the WRX or STi. Not to mention, Ford is actually taking steps to resolve the motor mount problems with a TSB, unlike Subaru in the past.

BTW, this is happening right now: Exterior STI trunks are chipping at the corners - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    I hear you, but it sounds like anecdotal evidence to me. Consumer reports consistently rates the WRX much higher than the Ford. There's a tendency for performance car owners to mod and run the cars hard both of which affect reliability. All that said, having never owned a Subaru, I am interested in hearing owners experiences with the cars. It sounds like you're not too high on Subaru reliability, is that true?

3rd gen engine failures regardless of mileage, weak 5 speed, 3rd gen clutch welds breaking. But we still love our cars. I'd like to see better reliability but it's a subaru. Great community, fun cars

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I don't think Zach and I are quite on the same page when it comes to general Subie reliability. I've had 2 bugeye WRX's and a Legacy wagon. The first WRX and the wagon were flawless. Literally zero issues. And that was with me doing a turbocharger/injector/map swap on that WRX.

My current WRX was purchased used, and I did do an engine transplant on it. The turbocharger seemed to be going out, and it was failing leakdown at 70,000 miles. (or therebouts, it's been a long time, and I'd have to look up the actual mileage) But the evidence seems to point to the previous owner thrashing it pretty hard, and perhaps not doing the maintenance that he should have. And the ugly truth is that I was looking for an excuse to do a hybrid build with a good-sized turbo/intercooler...so I probably could have driven that old engine around for a while, if I was so inclined.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Like the OP and others, I've also cross-shopped MT mainstream sedans and sport compacts. Last time, I took the "safe" route with an Acura TSX, because the sport compacts all had issues that, IMO, made them unappealing as commuter/family cars. The Mazdaspeed 3 was way too loud and rough, and I didn't like the WRX's interior, small cargo compartment, and fuel economy. (I also thought its steering was somewhat vague.)

The TSX was the right call, and it's been an outstanding daily driver and family car. The 6MT is phenomenal, and its chassis dynamics are excellent for a FWD sedan. I also care more about handling than power, but, even so, I've ALWAYS missed the beastly turbo punch of my old Saab 9-5 Aero, and I suspect anyone coming from powerful sports cars into a Mazda 6 will end up feeling the same way.

So, if the WRX is quiet and luxurious enough for your daily grind, I say go for it. The Focus ST might be quieter on the highway -- it seems quieter than my TSX -- but it does have significant downsides and is tough to recommend over the WRX. Unfortunately, the only sport compact that really does it all with performance, some luxury, and value, is the GTI, but after experiencing VW "reliability" first hand with a Jetta GLX, I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero2001 View Post
    Unfortunately, the only sport compact that really does it all with performance, some luxury, and value, is the GTI, but after experiencing VW "reliability" first hand with a Jetta GLX, I wouldn't do it.
    Having traded in my 2013 VW GLI for a 2015 WRX I can attest to the crappy build quality of VW/Audi products. My dealer was chasing 'phantom' electrical issues that would light up GLIs warning lights periodically and then go away. I was also completely unimpressed with the performance of the 2.0L turbo motor driving only the front wheels. Traction was awful off the line with enormous axle tramp and forget about trying to accelerate in the wet. Terminal understeer was the only cornering option available. And even though torque steer was very moderate the slight tugging at the wheel annoyed me. The only VW that I would compare to the WRX is the 4wd GTI R and that is a much more expensive car.

The 2015 WRX interior is far from luxurious but it is also very livable and comfortable with excellent outward visibility. The suspension is very firm but it soaks up most bumps with nice compliance. It seems that Subaru did a great job in tweaking the bounce and rebound settings. As far as sound is concerned, I actually find the car quite on the highway with tire noise the dominant sound.
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

Hey i just got the 2015 wrx 2 weeks ago and have been driving it. I just hit 1,000 miles and my average mpg is 28.3. I think they may have really messed up the new mpg estimates since they did change the engine to a 2.0L. If you drive the car right you can get it well above the stated MPG. I also dont drive in heavy traffic 24/7. I WRX is so fun to drive and the 4 wheel drive is amazing for riving anywhere. I would say pick the WRX. Its probably just as comfortable as the mazda interior.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You can always get better than the estimate if the car is driven well. I can get 25mpg on my STi.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Things I would consider, I don't know much about the Mazda but I would get the 2015 WRX for the Fun Factor! Lots of potential and Decent MPG, to solve the Stop and go and better MPG, you actually might be better off with the CVT and then you are getting the best of both worlds with the WRX

My second Choice would be Hyundai because if your going to be putting on those kind of Miles then whats better then a 100K mile warranty, I just bought a 2014 Elantra for my wife and we love it! but for the fun factor I would go with the Sonata Turbo as, you can get one around that price point and their base model is nice, The warranty does cover the Turbo too which is pretty cool about Hyundai. the Sonata does 0-60 at 6 Seconds. With the 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged
    GDI engine, the 2014 Sonata offers an
    unprecedented combination of fuel
    efficiency and power
    274 hp @ 6,000 rpm
    269 lb.-ft of torque @ 1,650-4,500
    rpm
    EPA estimated 21 mpg city and
    32 mpg highway with regular fuel

But that being said! I would still rather the WRX haha but that's because when you like something you just like it!

Good Luck

I'm buying a 2015 WRX and coming from a 2003 Mazda 6. I test drove the 2014 Mazda 6 with high expectations but it let me down. The handling is great, as it always has been, but the engine is anemic. It's just too small of a motor for the size of the car. Supposedly a diesel 6 is on the way, which would have a lot more torque. It keeps getting delayed though…

Really wish Mazda kept another engine option with the 6. When I bought mine, they had a 3 liter V6 (which I went with). Great handling and a good amount of power too.

As far as comfort, I found the Mazda to be more comfortable than the WRX, but not by much.

Hi.

Brand new here. Just wanted to say thanks because I'm car shopping. I've wanted a rex for about 8 years now, but it is at the very top of what I can pay right now. So, I'm forced to consider less expensive (and less fun) options if I can't talk the husband into this.

Your discussion has helped me confirm why I respond the way I do the the WRX versus the other options, and as you've indicated there just aren't many comparable options right now. That car makes me smile, but I know crap about the actual machinery. I was worried that the feeling might fade over time. I have a long commute, but the traffic isn't terrible. I'm not worried about comfort. I think the car will make me happier about my commute. Already the IDEA of owning it has me researching things I find in the specs that I don't understand. (Seriously, I'm so not a mechanically-minded gal, but I'm reading up on what MacPherson struts are, etc., so I'm pretty sure this is not an just infatuation but true love.)

Hope to be joining the club in late July. There's a base model in WR blue coming in at my dealership soon. They said if I put a refundable deposit down, they'd let me take ALL the plastic off it if I bought it. <swoon>

But again, thanks. You've all helped,
    Long time WRX lover from afar

Agree w/ Gizmo. Keep the C6 and get something with extreme MPG to commute in.

Here's the thing: I've spent untold amounts of money, not to mention time and heartache, trying to find a balance between economics and enjoyment. I'm always biased toward the driving experience, so I become disenchanted with the good economic decision and go out and trade for a fun car. I had an '06 GTO, then a '10 Legacy, then an '11 WRX, now a '13 Impreza. I'm finally throwing in the towel and taking the MPG hit and have ordered a '15 WRX.

I have a feeling, from your comments, that you will not be happy with the Mazda from a performance perspective. If you can only afford one car, get the WRX. If you can get by with an older econobox and keep the C6 too, that's your best bet in my opinion.

Good luck to you.

If it any help towards your decision, my 2015 WRX just finished her first tank. I got 26 mpg, but that's avoiding +4000 rpm for he break in period. However, I was advised to switch up the rpms a lot on the hwy during the break in period. My commute has 80 mph spots and bumper to bumper spots, so I'm inclined to say I'll generally see 26 mpg.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.