'15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on '15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 15WRX The CVT is rated to get lower mpg than the 6-speed. However Subaru ran the ratings ...

Quote Originally Posted by 15WRX View Post
    The CVT is rated to get lower mpg than the 6-speed. However Subaru ran the ratings in sport mode to avoid jumping through hoops with the EPA by rating the car in Intelligent mode.

I don't understand why. I am averaging 24 mpg in mixed driving with the CVT and have gotten over 30 mpg highway when keeping it under 70 (which is rare for me).

It seems wrong that the CVT equipped WRX is rated at 19 city / 25 highway / 21 combined.

To me it seems like the manual and CVT get about the same mileage...
    Yup thats what I get (30+mpg) with pure "I" mode, freeway 68mph. But its a different animal when I go S# and on M, 19mpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 6spd WRX and consistently get 23mpg city and 29 to 33 mpg speed dependent. At 75-80mph I get 29+ mpg and if I drop down to 70-75mph I am rewarded with 33mpg. The six speed is more efficient than the CVT with added driving enjoyment.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner -- Coming- BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

I'm considering these same 2 cars. And also perhaps the Accord Sport, though they are difficult to find with a MT. I would be curious to know what you wind up with. In my mind, the question is mostly whether the increased "fun factor" of the WRX is enough to offset the increased comfort and likely decreased ownership costs of the 6. I have yet to drive the 6 but the interior is a substantial upgrade over the WRX IMO. And it's certainly a looker.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's still weird to me to see the WRX compared with sedans like Accords and Mazda6's, but I guess the car has "grown up", in the minds of many car buyers. You're going to have to drive the cars to get any real idea of the choice, here.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree, performance-wise they are hard to compare. But price-wise they are all between $20k-$30k and 4-door sedans. I think it all comes down to what you prefer in a car, one invests in interior comfort before performance and the other is vise-versa.

My preferences lead me to a '15 WRX (in this order): value -> awd -> handling -> mpg -> low end power -> exterior looks -> cabin size -> trunk size -> interior quality

I think mazda6s are nice cars but they are not cars that make me smile when I take a corner a little too fast.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess where I'm different is I knew my bias for performance over comfy interior prior to getting very far. It's understandable though..the world has changed since 2002 when I bought my WRX. That car's interior is pretty spartan compared to the new car!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Could not agree more. The Mazda 6 is a great family car that has good handling but is under powered. I owned an earlier generation 6 with the 4-cylinder engine and appreciated the very competent handling and good brakes but disliked the anemic power and the need to redline the engine merging onto highways and passing.

The 15 WRX on the other hand is a great car that is suitable for the family when needed but more importantly it always puts a smile on my face during my commute and anytime I am alone in the car.

The 6 was more of an appliance - the WRX is a passion.

Sure the 6 has sexy curves and more elegant interior but the Subie blows its doors off in every other regard.

It all comes down to what you prioritize more...
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

I don't see why cross shopping these 2 is so unusual. It's not as if I'm cross shopping the WRX with a Camry I want a sporty 4 door with a few creature comforts. The 6 leads in the comfort area, the WRX in the performance area. No, the performance is not very close, but the 6 handles better than most things in it's class. It could use more under the hood but it's not anemic. Obviously folks used to driving a WRX might think it is though I've never owned a Subie, and the WRX being a first year model for all intents and purposes makes me a little hesitant. The BRZ seems like its had more than its fair share of problems. It's a completely different car obviously, but it is one data point.

I Support ClubWRX
    My BRZ has been solid as a rock, so far, and I drive the crap out of it. [knocks on wood] I'm approaching the year mark, and will write up my comments when we pass that..

I guess you put your finger on it; I completely equate a Mazda6 with a Camry. Perhaps it is a more zippy family sedan, but I think of the WRX as coming from a completely different point on the enthusiast car spectrum...true manual available (can you get it with a new 6? Didn't look that up EDIT, looks like you can get a 6 spd manual, so good on that!), a hundred more horsepower, tunable engine, AWD versus FWD. I've driven plenty of 6's and other FWD sedans as rentals over the years. The driving dynamics were always an immediate turn-off to me because I'm a bit snobbish about the feel of FWD cars in transition.

No criticism intended..it's simply fascinating (and honestly, a little sad) to me that we've arrived at a point where people consider the family sedans and the WRX in the same breath. Perhaps it's good for Subaru. And what's good for Subaru may mean continued production of sports sedans. So ok by me.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 05-21-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

So, what other vehicles should potential WRX buyers be cross shopping in your opinion? The Mazdaspeed 3 is out of production. I guess there's the Focus ST but I'm just not going to buy a domestic car I'm sorry to say. I'm also pretty loath to buy european due to high ownership costs so that means the A3/A4/GTI are out. What's left?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    So, what other vehicles should potential WRX buyers be cross shopping in your opinion? The Mazdaspeed 3 is out of production. I guess there's the Focus ST but I'm just not going to buy a domestic car I'm sorry to say. I'm also pretty loath to buy european due to high ownership costs so that means the A3/A4/GTI are out. What's left?
    that you still think the Focus is "domestic" and a Subaru is "import"

Most Subarus in the U.S. are assembled in Indiana. Though the final assembly of the Focus ST takes place in Michigan, it is a global platform and parts are brought in from around the world.

FWIW, the Focus and Fiesta ST are great cars.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Glad you're amused. I don't care so much where the actual assembly happens. Subarus are engineered in Japan, and IIRC the WRX is actually still built in Japan. Ford quality was improving for a long time but has taken a nose dive in the past couple of years. If the line is as blurry as you claim then why is there still a clear quality gap between import and domestic?

I Support ClubWRX
    So, what other vehicles should potential WRX buyers be cross shopping in your opinion?
    It's a valid question. If we're sticking with 4 doors and this price range, (and my nit-picky attitude towards sports cars and sedans), the list gets small really quickly. Add to that your nitpickiness with both domestics and Euro breeds, and I guess we've run out of stuff to talk about.

It was a good question when I was researching back in the day, to the point where used German sedans were on my list, up against a new WRX. No regrets. At this point, I guess I would have to begrudgingly test drive the Ford offerings, to see if I liked what they brought to the table. But I'm at a point where 4 doors is no longer a necessity, so that opens a lot of doors (lol) for me.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    there still a clear quality gap between import and domestic?
    Really? So all the motor failures of the WRX and STi motors over the last few years should be ignored? How about transmission failures? Or the poor fit-and-finish in Subarus?

I think you're turning a blind eye to all the pitfalls of each brand. The Focus ST seems to have a much better track record, save from the motor mount issues, than the WRX or STi. Not to mention, Ford is actually taking steps to resolve the motor mount problems with a TSB, unlike Subaru in the past.

BTW, this is happening right now: Exterior STI trunks are chipping at the corners - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Buying a car is always a compromise in priorities. I would say that the WRX and Mazda 6 do have many similarities but not enough to have ever been reviewed against each other in an auto mag comparison test.

That said - Motor Trend just did a six car comparo on mid-size family sedans (which again did not include the WRX). The Mazda 6 won hands down. It is a great car for its intended purpose. That purpose is just different than that of the WRX.

The Big Test: 2014/2015 Midsize Sedans - Motor Trend
    Last edited by 15WRX; 05-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast