'15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on '15 WRX vs '15 Mazda6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by blknylw If you're talking straight highway MPG...I was getting 26.5 on the highway when I picked mine ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blknylw View Post
    If you're talking straight highway MPG...I was getting 26.5 on the highway when I picked mine up a few months ago. For a car like the WRX...that's pretty good. I test drove the new Mazda 6 and while nice...it was pathetic in performance...one of the weakest feeling cars i've ever been in.
    Usually when you're telling someone that a vehicle feels "weak" it's good to describe why you think that. Was the acceleration poor? Was the handling poor? What did you do to test these things? I'd hardly base an opinoin on a review that said, "It's weak."
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Usually when you're telling someone that a vehicle feels "weak" it's good to describe why you think that. Was the acceleration poor? Was the handling poor? What did you do to test these things? I'd hardly base an opinoin on a review that said, "It's weak."
    It obviously can't deadlift more than 300lbs. It's weak.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Its a Mazda6. How well of a description of its piss poor performance would you like

Your C6 will probably get better mpg then a wrx in stop and go traffic. You might be better off with a Kia optima sx turbo... comes with leather, hids, 272hp and 31mpg or a ford fusion with the eco boost.

Or maybe buy a used tsx or tl or lexus.

Most people who buy a wrx, buy them because of reliability, awd performance, cheap mods and high resell value. MPG is pretty much last on the list.

I average around 22-23 mpg with 50 /50 driving. I get around 21mpg now with my stage 1 tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 2015 WRX, the gas mileage is much improved over the previous 2.5L turbo. I average 21-23 city driving and up to 31mpg highway. I came from a 550hp Camaro to the WRX, you will not be disappointed by its handling either.
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner -- Coming- BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Strangely enough I was considering a Mazda6 and a WRX (ultimately choosing the WRX). I enjoyed my test drive in the Mazda, it's very comfortable, tons of features and options for a very reasonable price, but it has no balls. 180hp isn't scant but but it's no performer. So if you comfort and MPG, there you go.

The '15 WRX is a somewhat harsh ride, especially running over potholes and poorly paved roads, but after 3 weeks with the car it's very easy to get used to (I drive about 40 miles in and out of D.C. every day). The chassis is stiffer in the 15's but the gas mileage is also better. On my commute in today without much traffic and about 75% highway driving my trip computer told me I drove it averaging 33MPG.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Buying a Subaru is never about great mpgs.
    My white Subaru gets pretty good mpgs.
    Ok fine, so it's a halfbreed.

What's "comfortable in stop-and-go traffic" is very subjective, as has been said. Test drive and decide..all we can do is give you our jaded opinions, based on our own preference. My WRX wagon with Prodrive springs/KYB struts makes most people's teeth rattle, but it works fine for me in traffic, and I'm an OG.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    My white Subaru gets pretty good mpgs.
    Ok fine, so it's a halfbreed.

What's "comfortable in stop-and-go traffic" is very subjective, as has been said. Test drive and decide..all we can do is give you our jaded opinions, based on our own preference. My WRX wagon with Prodrive springs/KYB struts makes most people's teeth rattle, but it works fine for me in traffic, and I'm an OG.
    You're not just OG... but Capo di tutti capi!
    Last edited by TheJ; 05-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX

I'll admit it...always loved that nickname. That goes back quite a ways! (Mafia thread circa 2004/2005ish?)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Since you're coming out of a C6 is sounds like you value driving pleasure over most other priorities. When it comes to fuel mileage - the WRX might not be the best choice - but it might be the best compromise of your priorities.

My new '15 WRX with the CVT has been getting 28-29 mpg on my highway commute of half 70-80 mph open highways against traffic and the other half at 20-50 mph with traffic. And that's during the break in. I drive it in I mode during the commute and I am not gentle with the throttle.

If you are driving 70 miles a day and get a car that gets 38 mpg (10 more than I am getting) you will save .65 gallons a day. Call it $2.50 a day in gas - $12.50 a week - $50 a month - $600 a year.

To me that is money well spent for the smiles that my new WRX puts on my face.

Yes the car is stiff but it does soak up most bumps very well and I never feel uncomfortable driving it on the crater laden roads of Long Island. And that tight suspension delivers an unbelievable level of performance for the money!
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

Here is a pic I took in my office parking lot when I got into work today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0904[1].jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	147897

I got 29.3 mpg this morning but my morning commute also has much less traffic due to how early I hit the road - but that means I'm averaging a solid 75 to 80 mph other than in some choke points and toll booths.

Since I've owned the car I've averaged 24.2 overall in about 1,150 total miles driven.
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    Instructor - BMW CCA

Thanks for all the awesome feedback! I've made a slight change in the cars but this weekend, I am hoping to get into a 2015 A3 2.0T, the Mazda3s, and CVT/MT WRX to make my decision. If I do pull the trigger on the WRX this weekend, I'll come back with pics!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Things to consider:

1) '15 WRX does have a CVT option, so that will increase your MPGs if you're dead set on it.
    Doesn't the CVT get less MPG than the MT?

The CVT is rated to get lower mpg than the 6-speed. However Subaru ran the ratings in sport mode to avoid jumping through hoops with the EPA by rating the car in Intelligent mode.

I don't understand why. I am averaging 24 mpg in mixed driving with the CVT and have gotten over 30 mpg highway when keeping it under 70 (which is rare for me).

It seems wrong that the CVT equipped WRX is rated at 19 city / 25 highway / 21 combined.

To me it seems like the manual and CVT get about the same mileage...
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    Instructor - BMW CCA

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Nice. I get about 24 mpg on the highway with the STi, and 16-18 around town
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast