Subaru WRX Forum banner

14' WRX vs 13' Civic Si

25K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  disqimation 
#1 ·
I recently traded in my ninth generation civic si for a 2014 5 door wrx...mainly because I will soon be a father (literally within a week), and needed a car with more punch and awd. However driving my wrx I'm able to see what I took granted for in the Si. The most noticeable driving feeling I would say is the transmission...the wrx feels like the transmission was made in the Stone Age compared to the smooth shifting six speed Si. Makes me curious to see if the factory sti shifter would improve this. My biggest complaint, and maybe it's something I'll get used to, is it fully getting in the gates with my wrx. What I do like about the wrx's transmission is how longer 1st is compared to the Si since it is a five speed, meaning I can hit 60 with only one shift, unlike the si which hit 60 in third gear. The raw power of the wrx and grip dominates the Si. However paired with a heavier rear sway bar like mine, helped the Si's understeer tenfolds during hard cornering, and matched with the light weight and higher revving (compared to the wrx) N/A 200 hp K24z7 engine made it a fun car to drive....although I wished the vtec engagement point was below 5k rpm. The Si had awesome gas mileage, I averaged 31 mpg (I do drive conservatively on the majority). Hated the wing though, it's nice to be able to see out of my rearview mirror now...I don't know how you STi guys do it. The interior was also very very nice in the Si since it went through a refresh after people complained about the cheap feel of the 12'...the car itself looked very nice too, with subtle ques to separate it from the rest of the civics, I LOVED the rear taillights on the 13+ models that reminded you of the older brother Accords....Now enough fluffing of the Si....the wrx like I said has a dominating feel during hard cornering. The acceleration feels incredible, and my main reason I love the wrx is that everything about the car feels great, and I do t have the urge to improve much else (I say that now)...the power is enough for me, the wheels are much more handsome than the Si, and it's a wagon. I am very happy on my trade, and wanted to share my experience with the Si.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda civic

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru impreza wrx sti Subaru

See less See more
#4 ·
I can agree with you on the stock tranny in the wrx feeling kind of sloppy compaired to some. I have the subaru sti 5mt short throw shifter in my wrx, makes it much better and notchier feeling. But the subaru sti shifter came on the wrx when i bought it. If mine was stock i would have done the Kartboy short throw shifter with the front and rear bushing. I do plan on doing the bushings in the near future, and maybe even the kartboy short throw. Basically, what im saying is dont waste your money on the subaru sti short throw, as the kartboy sts with bushing will make your car shift so much better.

#7 ·
Yes, I love how the stiffer rear swaybar on the civic improved handling, and even gave the car a little oversteer, which is always welcom on FWD cars. Also the ease of installation and rather cheap upgrade; the rear swaybar will definitely be the first modification to my wrx. Also wanted to add that my five door wrx was the last one in five states near where I live that was a base model. I have a deployment coming up so I wanted to get it now, before there were none left. I do love the 15' but based on the fact the vehicle is so new, and they don't offer a five door, I went with the 14'.

#8 ·
The Si is nice. My wife drives a 12' Si that I get to drive a lot during the weekends. It is super nice. The transmission is AMAZING compared to my 14' WRX. I also have the STI short throw shifter but the Si just shifts sooooo smooth and effortlessly. Eventually, going to add a flash tune, exhaust, and higher flow air filter on the Si to give it more power. Definitely a fun car to drive. We've been averaging about 26 MPG with it whereas my WRX has been getting about 20. Both are amazing cars though. Very happy with this combination we've got. :)

#9 ·
new to the forum but i am also coming from a 9th gen 12 civic si 4dr and just ordered a 15 wrx. i have only test drove a few miles on the 15 wrx and didnt get enough time to give a good view but i can tell the civic is a lot smoother shifting and mileage.

#10 ·
Be ready for more gas/clutch work....the civic you can do a lot of 0-5 mphs on just the clutch alone since first was so short...you need to give a little more gas/riding the clutch a little on the wrx...I've already stalled a few times lol...but since you're getting the 15 and that's a six speed it might not be so different than the civic. Let us know!

#12 ·
I came from a 2011 FA5. The clutch on those civics are way too light. Before I got my wrx, I was driving my buddy's 07 wrx and the difference between the clutches was night and day. When I got back into my Si, I thought to myself "this clutch is so light why does it even exist?". At times I felt like my foot would rip right through the floor LOL. Happy I got the wrx and havent looked back since :)

#13 ·
I've never driven a 8th gen, but the 9thgen had a lower redline, and I thought the 9thgens clutch and transmission was perfect. I drove a 12' jeep rubicon before the civic, and the wrx almost reminds me of that one lol. But it's not a bad thing, it requires more driver input, and obviously for car enthusiasts that's a good thing. I love it more and more every time I drive.

#15 ·
I considered getting rid of my 2011 wrx for a 2013 si or accord sport for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I used to have an 06 rsx-s and I had been missing the sharpness of that car in the 2 cars I had following it(04 g35 sedan and 2011 wrx hatch). I test drove the 2 Hondas and liked both a lot but they just seemed so dull coming out of the wrx. Also tried a 2011 gti, also dull. Then a few weeks ago the local dealer got a 2015 wrx in and after a few miles of test driving I was sold. It's not quite as refined as the Hondas but it's much closer and way more enjoyable. I think you probably should have waited for the 15. Probably a useless post at this point but for the first time in a long time I don't miss my rsx. Not that the 2011 was bad, it was quite enjoyable, but it can wear on you.

#16 ·
The reason I decided with the 14 model is I'm about to be a father here in a few days, so I want the hatch...plus I like the way the hatch looks. The 15 doesn't offer that...additionally as much as I like the new styling of the wrx, I'm not sold on the idea of purchasing a new model vehicle on it's first year, whereas the 14 is the last model of the outgoing generation and has had refinements and such....atleast that's my rationing.

#17 ·
I really wanted a '14 hatch as well but no one in Houston had one that was new so i opted for the '15. We are due to have a child in Oct and this is still an improvement over the Tacoma i had. Also, i looked at the used hatches they had on the lot and the rear area didn't have that much more cargo space in my opinion, yet it was more convenient to access the rear area for the diaper bag or what not.

Im just not a fan of buying used cars so i went with the '15 and so far i love it. I would have gone with the '14 if they had it new though.

Edit:
It may be the first model of the new body style but its not unproven technology. Every piece of the car has been proven in other cars and Suby has a pretty decent track record. Better than Toyota at least lol.

#19 ·
I was hell bent on getting an 05-06 rsx s prior to greeting my 14 limited sedan.

I test drove a few of them and an 07 civic si. Those 6speed hondas shift like butter. I have the sti short throw shifter which didn't feel that great. I put a Cobb knob on it and it's better, but not great.

#20 ·
I agree, I too replaced the stock shifter with with a short shifter from cobb, don't have the sti factory shifter....but I've gotten quite used to the wrx and it's gearbox and clutch engagement points. So all is well :)

#22 ·
I know exactly how you feel in regards to the shifting. I'm coming from a gti and shifting was super buttery/limp ****. I loved it. Took some getting used to, but after I got the Cobb short shifter I'm starting to like it more than my old car's shifting. Also, it does get looser with time(pun intended?)

#25 ·
I don't know what the sti short shifter from subaru feels like. I purchased the cobb ss for my wrx. But before I did, I did not like the shifter at all compared to what I was driving. The civic si's transmission matched with that zippy engine was fantastic....however, it almost seems like a distant pleasant dream nowadays....I love the cobb shifter on the wrx and forgot all my troubles I first encountered. Bottom line up front, get some kind of replacement for the stock shifter.

#29 ·
I test drove a 2013 si sedan because I was getting tired oh how rattly my 2011 wrx was. The shifter felt great and the interior was a big improvement over the old wrx and the 8th gen civic but the k24 just isn't that exciting, I missed the old k20 even though the k24 torque was much improved. The 2015 wrx made me forget about the the old wrx and the si lol

#30 ·
I came from a '08 Si sedan and a 2 '04 6 speed TSX's (not to mention every GS-R body ever produced from 92-01) before getting any of the subies I've had ( 2 LGT's and my current WRX). All my hondas drove better overall,but were garbage in the snow and the power department. All 3 of the subies I've had would smack ass on all the hondas I've owned in any form of performance or race. My wife still currently drives an '07 civic sedan and driving it feels so much more effortless than my WRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.