Stock 2014 WRX Sedan vs HP Tuned Cobalt SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 2014 WRX Sedan vs HP Tuned Cobalt SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My wife(driving the WRX) and I(Driving my Cobalt) were driving to work a few days ago and we both got ...

Stock 2014 WRX Sedan vs HP Tuned Cobalt SS

My wife(driving the WRX) and I(Driving my Cobalt) were driving to work a few days ago and we both got stopped at a red light. I rolled my window down and revved my motor at her, she rolled her eyes but I told her lets do a quick pull. I turned off traction control and I heard her rev it, as soon as the light turned green I featherd the throttle but she got the jump on me. I spun in 1st, and part of 2nd and by then she was 1 car ahead of me. Once I got traction I passed her and beat her by about 3 cars. I was impressed that she launched so well. I cant wait to tune it and see what i can do.
    2008 Victory Red Cobalt SS Turbo
    24 psi Tune, TurboXS Catless DP, Injen upper CP, Hahn CAI, Forge VTA BOV, twin Aeroforce Interceptors, Powell Race shop CABs, CM Lowering springs, Treadstone TR10 Big FMIC.
    2014 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl
    Stock...for now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cool story bro.

I Support ClubWRX
    The track is a better place for racing, my friend.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

uuuhhh... good kill, brah......

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    I hate to break the WRX fans hearts here, but the Cobalt SS turbo just annihilates the WRX on the track. It’s not even a fair fight. Heck, just check Car and Drivers lighting lap at VIR and notice how the little SS out performed on the track an Evo 9. It wasn’t until the EVO 10 came out till the SS was bested by the AWD rivalry between STI and EVO. That little car was a pure track car. Am I a little biased because I use to own one? Yes. Lol

That being said the new WRX looks far superior on the track then the last generation STI. With Subaru finally getting rid of the 2.5 I’m actually leaning towards purchasing a 2015 WRX. Don’t get me wrong, I love that sound, but I think the newer engine just has a better power band for SCCA racing. Also an afterthought engine that doesn’t share its JDM’s pedigree just felt like a bad idea from the get go. At least Mitsubishi just de tuned their 2.0 litter. I hate using stats because it sounds more like benchmark racing but let’s compare the new WRX to the last gen STI and some other competitive cars.

The base 2015 REX offers lateral acceleration peaks at 0.96 g on a figure-eight test and it bested in 25.3 seconds. The last gen STI pulled 0.93 g on the skidpad and made it around the figure eight in 25.6 seconds. Now look at the braking of the new WRX compared to its former STI predecessor. Braking from 60 mph happened in just 106 feet. The old STI was 110 feet. And lets not forget the king of cheap AWD platforms the EVO X. It’s stats for the fastest version (the MR which I hate automatics but whatever) was 25 seconds flat(thanks to its active yaw control). Max lateral g rang in at 0.93, but braking was a weak point, with a 112-foot stopping distance from 60 mph.(cause she was a little on the heavy side)

Also I'm very pleased that the wheel to wheel lock is only 2.8. Yes, that isn't 2.5 like the new STI but still impressive. It is the same as my old 09 Cobalt SS turbo which was a blast on the track as well as the 2014 STI. To put in perspective compared to other cars the EVO X has 2.27 turns, the new 2015 gti has 2.1 and the utterly insane Focus ST at 1.8 turns lock-to-lock.

So don't bash the old SS. She was truly ahead of her time and an underestimated track car.As for the 2015 WRX, well I think Subaru got it done right this time and I look forward to my first test drive.

I do agree. The SS is a great car. I would love to own one someday. I usually do not like GM cars but that one is very impressive. Especially for a FWD vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I've said it before; I admire Chevy for producing a car with prodigious performance, surprisingly so on the handling side of things.

When you start comparing cars though, I live in a world where the numbers aren't the end of the story. I don't give a crap about bragging rights or even quarter mile times...if the car isn't enjoyable for me behind the wheel. I don't enjoy how high-powered FWD cars feel when I'm driving them. You can point track times at me all day, and that will still be the fact of the matter.

Related note: I have a somewhat modded WRX (18G turbo, bigger injectors/intercooler/pump/custom tune) and a 2013 BRZ, totally stock, with its totally unimpressive NA 200hp. Guess which one is my "go to" car if I'm headed for a fun road? I love my WRX for what it is, but the RWD, instant throttle response, Lexus-derived 6-speed manual, and surgical steering of the BRZ usually wins the day.

Just my 2 cents. At some point a car enthusiast has to look past the numbers and figure out what really wants from his car. If it's a stout engine in a FWD chassis, that's great, and I wouldn't fault anyone for their personal choice.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Who was bashing the SS? People were bashing you for racing on the street, unless there are posts that got deleted. Either way, who cares about which car is faster anyway? Most of us use our subarus to get back and forth to work and have fun while doing it. Relax.

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    I'm just surprised the 2015 WRX can put down those numbers with 235/45 R17 tires. Just blows my mind how much better and sharper the turning will be by just upping the tire size to something as little as 245/40-18 and taking it to the track. Half tempted to up the wheel size and get some cheap light wheels from tire rack with a good set of tires and putting all season tires on the 17s for winter use.

Dudes I apologize but I'm on some palatalk app. Anyways I don't know how to start a new thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah sounds about right to me - I bought a Cobalt SS new in 2008, and haven't modded it for the 94k miles I've been driving it. While generally fast in good conditions, the FWD ends up crippling the SS as soon as the tarmac gets slightly wet or otherwise slippery. When I bought the Cobalt SS, the better mileage and regular gas was what kept me from getting a WRX. Now that I live closer to work, I just picked up a 2011 WRX and I couldn't be happier. Acceleration aside, the Subie just has simply better fit and finish than my old SS and is a more comfortable daily driver. But still interesting to see the two getting compared. I always thought an interesting comparison would be between the Cobalt SS and the new Focus ST...

I always had a desire to have one of America's cheap fwd boosted cars like the cobalt SS or srt4. Those cars definitely weren't purchased for their fit and finish, but they hauled ass for what they were and they were fun to drive. The focus, however, really is the whole package. It performs and has a quality build.

Just read this and have no idea how this turned into people "defending" the cobalt SS from "bashing"....no one bashed the SS? I think that the greater majority of members here would respect and admire the SS for being what it is.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Interesting comparison. They're two different classes of cars, with two different drivelines, with two different purposes. Not what I would consider a *direct comparison. Similar to comparing a 5.0 Mustang to a Civic Si....So, it could hardly stir controversy with me.

Anyway, my experience with the cobalt. My dad's base Cobalt was an absolute piece of crap. One of the lesser economy coupes out there in my opinion. Uncomfortable to drive, cheap and often breaking, small inside, and no power would've been my main complaints. It's no wonder they were discontinued. It was maintained according to the manual at the local chevy dealer and was very well kept. So it's no tlike we were irresponsible with it. The SS version and SRT-4's on the other hand; very great cars for what they were. Props to GM and Dodge. I wouldn't "bash" them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not once was a chevy cobalt ss ever on my list of potential cars. I have never been in the market for a fwd "performance" coupe so maybe that's why. I'm actually a little surprised at it's popularity on this thread. Personally, I never found them appealing in any way shape or form. I dont track (yet) or ricer boy street race my cars though, so maybe it's me. You can count this as bashing if you want, the car does absolutely nothing for me. If I wanted a coupe, I would be looking for a small, light, rwd toy like a mx-5.

The new SS is a different story. Now that is an interesting car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast