Stock 2014 WRX Sedan vs HP Tuned Cobalt SS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stock 2014 WRX Sedan vs HP Tuned Cobalt SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Coming from an 09 SS Turbo Balt that was pretty well modified...I loved the car and it was quick as ...

Coming from an 09 SS Turbo Balt that was pretty well modified...I loved the car and it was quick as F***, but it was just downright embarrassing at the track and yes it had drag radials on it. Now fast forward through my next few vehicles. 2010 Charger SRT8, 2011 Mustang GT and a 2011 CTS-V Sedan...all were modified pretty well and the balt was still my favorite car in terms of just driving for normal daily driving because it was so easy to whip around and drive quickly.

Now I have a 2013 WRX Sedan and I love it in stock form more than I did my SS because the AWD system just feels so much more planted which gives a more enjoyable drive...even if it is just back and forth to work anymore. I have a slew of parts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed...I just need to get the balls to install the Downpipe on my own!
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This thread is for the birds.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I saw a cobalt ss at the drag strip one day. He took like 2 hours to swap out wheels when he showed up and then he ran a few 14s or 15s. I forget....then I think he blew it up because smoke was coming from his engine bay. It was dumb.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by thesolodriver84 View Post
    I hate to break the WRX fans hearts here, but the Cobalt SS turbo just annihilates the WRX on the track. Itís not even a fair fight. Heck, just check Car and Drivers lighting lap at VIR and notice how the little SS out performed on the track an Evo 9. It wasnít until the EVO 10 came out till the SS was bested by the AWD rivalry between STI and EVO. That little car was a pure track car. Am I a little biased because I use to own one? Yes. Lol

That being said the new WRX looks far superior on the track then the last generation STI. With Subaru finally getting rid of the 2.5 Iím actually leaning towards purchasing a 2015 WRX. Donít get me wrong, I love that sound, but I think the newer engine just has a better power band for SCCA racing. Also an afterthought engine that doesnít share its JDMís pedigree just felt like a bad idea from the get go. At least Mitsubishi just de tuned their 2.0 litter. I hate using stats because it sounds more like benchmark racing but letís compare the new WRX to the last gen STI and some other competitive cars.

The base 2015 REX offers lateral acceleration peaks at 0.96 g on a figure-eight test and it bested in 25.3 seconds. The last gen STI pulled 0.93 g on the skidpad and made it around the figure eight in 25.6 seconds. Now look at the braking of the new WRX compared to its former STI predecessor. Braking from 60 mph happened in just 106 feet. The old STI was 110 feet. And lets not forget the king of cheap AWD platforms the EVO X. Itís stats for the fastest version (the MR which I hate automatics but whatever) was 25 seconds flat(thanks to its active yaw control). Max lateral g rang in at 0.93, but braking was a weak point, with a 112-foot stopping distance from 60 mph.(cause she was a little on the heavy side)

Also I'm very pleased that the wheel to wheel lock is only 2.8. Yes, that isn't 2.5 like the new STI but still impressive. It is the same as my old 09 Cobalt SS turbo which was a blast on the track as well as the 2014 STI. To put in perspective compared to other cars the EVO X has 2.27 turns, the new 2015 gti has 2.1 and the utterly insane Focus ST at 1.8 turns lock-to-lock.

So don't bash the old SS. She was truly ahead of her time and an underestimated track car.As for the 2015 WRX, well I think Subaru got it done right this time and I look forward to my first test drive.

Power to weight ratio (the cobalt being lighter) wins every time.
    Sent from my mind using ninjutsu telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    It was dumb.
    Like this thread.. lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think the Cobalt SS is pretty cool. I have a '13 WRX with some bolt ons and I must admit, I was kind of impressed with what the Cobalt could do. My only complaint, like many others, is the FWD. Performance aside, I live in MA and for me having AWD for the winter is paramount. Plus, after my downpipe, tune and other bits, that poor Cobalt sees nothing but my tail lights
    Stitch Jones aka Mr Bakalava
    2013 PBP WRX

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post
    I think the Cobalt SS is pretty cool. I have a '13 WRX with some bolt ons and I must admit, I was kind of impressed with what the Cobalt could do. My only complaint, like many others, is the FWD. Performance aside, I live in MA and for me having AWD for the winter is paramount. Plus, after my downpipe, tune and other bits, that poor Cobalt sees nothing but my tail lights
    I'm most impressed with the fact that the Cobalt SS T/C received monoblock Brembo calipers. For those who don't know, monoblock calipers are superior to two-piece calipers such as those found in the STi, Evo, Genesis R-Spec, G35/37S etc.

Facebook me here

Back in the day when I had no credit and it was easier to buy a new car than a used one I bought an 07 supercharged balt. ONLY because I couldn't afford the 07 sti at the time ;D But no really. It was a $10k difference. I did love that car and after stage 2 it was quick as hell, can't imagine how awesome the turbo ones of later years were... But the interior looked and felt cheap, and I got stuck in the snow multiple times even with lsd.

The moral of my story:

I think the supercharged/turbocharged cobalts are a great car for someone who wants something sporty, fast, and with good mpg on a budget. They are already crazy cheap used.
    ~Kerri

Back in the day when I had no credit and it was easier to buy a new car than a used one I bought an 07 supercharged balt. ONLY because I couldn't afford the 07 sti at the time ;D But no really. It was a $10k difference. I did love that car and after stage 2 it was quick as hell, can't imagine how awesome the turbo ones of later years were... But the interior looked and felt cheap, and I got stuck in the snow multiple times even with lsd.

The moral of my story:

I think the supercharged/turbocharged cobalts are a great car for someone who wants something sporty, fast, and with good mpg on a budget. They are already crazy cheap used.
    ~Kerri

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    God, I miss my 09 SS Cobalt. I am more then happy with my 2015 WRX, but still there was something about the little Cobalt that made it special. I think it was just because so many people underestimated it. Heck, even GM underestimated it. The car felt like it had the reflexes of the EVO and even beat the EVO and STI at VIR in car and driver's lighting lap. I know VIR favors a car that has more top end, but still it is impressive. Also all the technology in the Cobalt was way ahead of its time, and the value was way over underrated. I hope one day GM makes affordable fun cars again. I know a Camarro 1LE package is only 33,000.00 but I like other options. Something light, fun and affordable. Also something that can drive in rain and snow for once, lol.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by thesolodriver84 View Post
    God, I miss my 09 SS Cobalt. I am more then happy with my 2015 WRX, but still there was something about the little Cobalt that made it special. I think it was just because so many people underestimated it. Heck, even GM underestimated it. The car felt like it had the reflexes of the EVO and even beat the EVO and STI at VIR in car and driver's lighting lap. I know VIR favors a car that has more top end, but still it is impressive. Also all the technology in the Cobalt was way ahead of its time, and the value was way over underrated. I hope one day GM makes affordable fun cars again. I know a Camarro 1LE package is only 33,000.00 but I like other options. Something light, fun and affordable. Also something that can drive in rain and snow for once, lol.
    I would hazard to say that the reason the Cobalt SS beat anything around the track is because of the brakes. Brembo monoblock front calipers. Impressive for such a cheap car... Even the STi and Evo feature Brembos with two-piece construction.

EDIT: holy **** I am a broken record. Just referenced my prior post where I said exactly the same thing. Keeping this post for the laughs

Facebook me here

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I would hazard to say that the reason the Cobalt SS beat anything around the track is because of the brakes. Brembo monoblock front calipers. Impressive for such a cheap car... Even the STi and Evo feature Brembos with two-piece construction.

EDIT: holy **** I am a broken record. Just referenced my prior post where I said exactly the same thing. Keeping this post for the laughs
    I think what really made it stand out was how light it was. I think that's what gave it such agility in the corners. While the WRX eats up corners like they are nothing because of the AWD system, I felt the Cobalt would just fly through because there wasn't much body roll because of weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12