New Subaru WRX or something else???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Subaru WRX or something else??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok here is my situation. In the relatively near future depending on what goes on with finances i will be ...

New Subaru WRX or something else???

Ok here is my situation. In the relatively near future depending on what goes on with finances i will be in the market for a new car as soon as a month or as late as late Summer..either way im currently searching and doing due diligence on what to get. I live in the North East(PA to be exact) and thus I will encounter all the elements. What I want is

1.something I can drive year around this will be a daily driver.
    2. Something thats AWD for the weather in the winter.
    3 Something thats realtively sporty and looks decent
    4. Something that gets decent MPG(25+ MPG or better highway)

My searches and research so far have netted the following cars have made the cut:

USED cars first 2010-2012 models of the Charger R/T AWD , Infiniti G37 AWD, Taurus SHO , Cadillac CTS ,

These USED cars were eliminated for one reason or another(listed)

BMW 335 Xi (reliability,expense of parts) , Audi S4 (Reliability, expensive parts), Acura (while they have everything I want they are just NASTY looking IMO)

OR

A New Subaru WRX

So a little about me..im 45 have a wife and kid(14) Its mostly going to be going back and forth to work car. From time to time to save gas $$ we take it on a longer trip as my wives SUV gets garbage MPG. Not a lot but now and then. back in 1992 I had a 1991 Taurus SHO...its the most fun and best car I ever owned..It was(for the time) fast, looked good and I just had fun driving it..ive owned nothing ive been remotely fond of since 1994 when I got rid of it. Everything since then has just been borign old cars that are simply get from A to B stuff(currently a Hyundai Sonata) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz.... Im wanting to get back into something I really enjoy owning and is a fun car again..the ones ive picked out I like both the styling and performance of.

So what to do

Get a brand spanking new(im assuming as of the late date im buying it will be a 2015 not a older 2014..they are almost all gone) 2015 WRX with the full factory warranty or a used car above and add on a extended warranty(I wont own a car without a warranty)..note I actually like the NEW Sedan WRX look MORE/BETTER than the 2014...BUT I like the 2014 hatch more but I doubt by may/june there will be any hatches left so I am going 2015 coupe for sake of argument...

So New 2015 WRX or used SHO,R/T,CTS,G37 AWD? and why???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd personally go with the 2014 WRX. You'll fall in love with the sound of the car, despite the minor gap in performance. The WRX will feel more rugged than the other cars you mentioned. I personally love mine, because it's just feels like a driver's car.

Don't expect good MPG. I get around 19 with my 13 WRX sedan, but I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it.

id love a 2014 hatch but i have a hard time imagining one being available in june/july/aug time frame....now if it came to sedan id rather get the 2015

cool, same first initial and last name as me...

Anyways, I just bought my WRX last month after cross shopping the Used SHOs, RT chargers (non AWD tho), and the CTS.
    I needed a family car that is fun and fast by myself, but reserved with the family in the car. I test drove a 2011 Mopar charger R/T, car is huge and is awesome looking, with great tech and amenities. When I laid of the pedal, the weight of the car was completely redirected to my butt dyno. Felt slow, even with the special edition with 3.91 gears. I cant imagine what the regular R/Ts feel like.
    I liked the look and interior of the CTS, but there is no V8 option, and no manual, and no boosted option either.
    Never saw an SHO in person, twin turbo v6 would be amazing! nice tech too.
    Then a drove a stock WRX. I am a driving enthusiast, so the lack luster interior and ancient deck were fine, as long as the car was fun and fast.
    Bought the WRX sedan, never looked back. I'll trade it in for a 4th gen STI only, when the time is right.
    I also live in the florida, so the AWD is just for fun launches and rainy days.
    I also only see 17.7 MPG combined, with mostly city driving. The figures look alittle better for the 2015s though.
    WRX all the way. obviously.

Good to see someone that shopped some of the same cars reply. My friend has a 2006 WRX and likes it.

Yeah, the others are nice. they are more luxurious and have more amenities, but nothing beats the AWD turbo of the WRX. the confidence I have in this thing is incredible, compared to be old Camaro and GTO.
    I went with a 2011 WRX, the wide body is so sexy.

I Support ClubWRX
    2014? You'll need to look used and well, scarce.

I can get 22-24 MPG, maybe 25 commuting in my 2014 hatch, but that's zero traffic rural-suburban back road 35-45mph. City is 21-22. I have not done much 55-60mph extended hwy driving yet.

I would go for something more luxury like the g37 awd it will be a more comfortable ride and less interior noise

I test drove most of the cars that you did...I ended up with a 13 WRX Sedan Limited.

Now mind you i'm coming from a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V 6-spd manual...I was putting down just over 600RWHP and the WRX was still impressive the first time I drove it...not the same as the Caddy, but def. a fun to drive car. The only reason I got rid of the V was that I have my first child on the way in the next few weeks...I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

After selling the V, it was down to the WRX and SHO...I was looking at 13-14 SHO's with the Performance Package...while they were nice...they just didn't feel that fast. I know they are pretty quick, but I couldn't get past the fact the car was like 4,400+...that's one heavy a$$ car!

The WRX will not disappoint! Good luck with your decision!

If you cannot find a 2014 hatch then I think the 2015 WRX checks all your boxes. A few other things (I have three kids and a wife):
    - Safety. Subaru safety is top notch. I had that in my top 5 things on my list.
    - Resale. I don't usually keep cars more than 3-6 years. 6 years if the car is really reliable and I still enjoy it. I tend to buy cars that have good resale value.

You definitely need to drive the cars on your list back to back as those test drives should be the deciding paper. Often times cars look better on paper than they drive in real life.

I live in Central PA, Sunbury roughly, and I would not trade my awd for anything. Do not expect good MPG. I get 19-22 on every tank of gas since I have owned it. I have an 11 sedan. Stage 2. Commute 30 miles a day, round trip to work, back roads and highway. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    I live in Central PA, Sunbury roughly, and I would not trade my awd for anything. Do not expect good MPG. I get 19-22 on every tank of gas since I have owned it. I have an 11 sedan. Stage 2. Commute 30 miles a day, round trip to work, back roads and highway. Hope that helps.

Im about 45-50 min north of u in Williamsport. Thats why I had it narrowed down a bit to only AWD(last car didnt have it after having a Subaru Forester) and yes I misssed it..I was ok with the Forester MPG(and it was a 2001) so either would be better. I had then further narrowed it to the Infiniti G37X and the new 2015(as i dont think finding a 2014 hatch will be a realistic option in the summer) WRX Sedan(probably a base model unless I get more in my trade than I expect. I figured roughly same performance..but with the infiniti id have to add in a extended warranty and id already have at least 25K miles on it most likely....though it would be more "luxurious" than the Subaru.. And with the Subaru it would be a decent sedan but also have no real miles on it and be a NEW car with the NEW warranty...

Oh I did think about one thing id have to check on though and thats getting some tires in the deal...I still dont know why they put SUMMER ONLY tires on that WRX...why not some real nice All seasons...people do drive these in the winter lol. So somehow I will have to do some wheeling and dealing and get some all seasons most likely thrown in there for a (hopefully) small fee..I wanted to see if they could roll a steel wheel and winter tire package into the deal and price so they would just get rolled into my monthly payments..but that may be too much $$.

i say just get a 2014...the 09-2014 wrx's dyno just a few hp blow the sti's. The new wrx's dyno -24whp less.

I get around 19mpg city, 25-28mpg hwy and average around 21-22mpg combined. 2014 wrx sedan in southern california.

I highly recommend test driving a 2015, it's also the only car you listed that meets your mpg requirements. The g37x is nice too, but automatic and terrible mpg.
    2015 WRB WRX Premium
    2011 SWP WRX 5 Door *old*

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vivtelliii!!!! View Post
    I highly recommend test driving a 2015, it's also the only car you listed that meets your mpg requirements. The g37x is nice too, but automatic and terrible mpg.
    This. G37 is nice but not as fun IMHO.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast