Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Subaru WRX or something else???

13K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  disqimation 
#1 ·
Ok here is my situation. In the relatively near future depending on what goes on with finances i will be in the market for a new car as soon as a month or as late as late Summer..either way im currently searching and doing due diligence on what to get. I live in the North East(PA to be exact) and thus I will encounter all the elements. What I want is

1.something I can drive year around this will be a daily driver.
2. Something thats AWD for the weather in the winter.
3 Something thats realtively sporty and looks decent
4. Something that gets decent MPG(25+ MPG or better highway)

My searches and research so far have netted the following cars have made the cut:

USED cars first 2010-2012 models of the Charger R/T AWD , Infiniti G37 AWD, Taurus SHO , Cadillac CTS ,

These USED cars were eliminated for one reason or another(listed)

BMW 335 Xi (reliability,expense of parts) , Audi S4 (Reliability, expensive parts), Acura (while they have everything I want they are just NASTY looking IMO)

OR

A New Subaru WRX

So a little about me..im 45 have a wife and kid(14) Its mostly going to be going back and forth to work car. From time to time to save gas $$ we take it on a longer trip as my wives SUV gets garbage MPG. Not a lot but now and then. back in 1992 I had a 1991 Taurus SHO...its the most fun and best car I ever owned..It was(for the time) fast, looked good and I just had fun driving it..ive owned nothing ive been remotely fond of since 1994 when I got rid of it. Everything since then has just been borign old cars that are simply get from A to B stuff(currently a Hyundai Sonata) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz.... Im wanting to get back into something I really enjoy owning and is a fun car again..the ones ive picked out I like both the styling and performance of.

So what to do

Get a brand spanking new(im assuming as of the late date im buying it will be a 2015 not a older 2014..they are almost all gone) 2015 WRX with the full factory warranty or a used car above and add on a extended warranty(I wont own a car without a warranty)..note I actually like the NEW Sedan WRX look MORE/BETTER than the 2014...BUT I like the 2014 hatch more :) but I doubt by may/june there will be any hatches left so I am going 2015 coupe for sake of argument...

So New 2015 WRX or used SHO,R/T,CTS,G37 AWD? and why???

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd personally go with the 2014 WRX. You'll fall in love with the sound of the car, despite the minor gap in performance. The WRX will feel more rugged than the other cars you mentioned. I personally love mine, because it's just feels like a driver's car.

Don't expect good MPG. I get around 19 with my 13 WRX sedan, but I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it.

#4 ·
cool, same first initial and last name as me...

Anyways, I just bought my WRX last month after cross shopping the Used SHOs, RT chargers (non AWD tho), and the CTS.
I needed a family car that is fun and fast by myself, but reserved with the family in the car. I test drove a 2011 Mopar charger R/T, car is huge and is awesome looking, with great tech and amenities. When I laid of the pedal, the weight of the car was completely redirected to my butt dyno. Felt slow, even with the special edition with 3.91 gears. I cant imagine what the regular R/Ts feel like.
I liked the look and interior of the CTS, but there is no V8 option, and no manual, and no boosted option either.
Never saw an SHO in person, twin turbo v6 would be amazing! nice tech too.
Then a drove a stock WRX. I am a driving enthusiast, so the lack luster interior and ancient deck were fine, as long as the car was fun and fast.
Bought the WRX sedan, never looked back. I'll trade it in for a 4th gen STI only, when the time is right.
I also live in the florida, so the AWD is just for fun launches and rainy days.
I also only see 17.7 MPG combined, with mostly city driving. The figures look alittle better for the 2015s though.
WRX all the way. obviously.

#6 ·
Yeah, the others are nice. they are more luxurious and have more amenities, but nothing beats the AWD turbo of the WRX. the confidence I have in this thing is incredible, compared to be old Camaro and GTO.
I went with a 2011 WRX, the wide body is so sexy.

#9 ·
I test drove most of the cars that you did...I ended up with a 13 WRX Sedan Limited.

Now mind you i'm coming from a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V 6-spd manual...I was putting down just over 600RWHP and the WRX was still impressive the first time I drove it...not the same as the Caddy, but def. a fun to drive car. The only reason I got rid of the V was that I have my first child on the way in the next few weeks...I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

After selling the V, it was down to the WRX and SHO...I was looking at 13-14 SHO's with the Performance Package...while they were nice...they just didn't feel that fast. I know they are pretty quick, but I couldn't get past the fact the car was like 4,400+...that's one heavy a$$ car!

The WRX will not disappoint! Good luck with your decision!

#10 ·
If you cannot find a 2014 hatch then I think the 2015 WRX checks all your boxes. A few other things (I have three kids and a wife):
- Safety. Subaru safety is top notch. I had that in my top 5 things on my list.
- Resale. I don't usually keep cars more than 3-6 years. 6 years if the car is really reliable and I still enjoy it. I tend to buy cars that have good resale value.

You definitely need to drive the cars on your list back to back as those test drives should be the deciding paper. Often times cars look better on paper than they drive in real life.

#11 ·
I live in Central PA, Sunbury roughly, and I would not trade my awd for anything. Do not expect good MPG. I get 19-22 on every tank of gas since I have owned it. I have an 11 sedan. Stage 2. Commute 30 miles a day, round trip to work, back roads and highway. Hope that helps.

#12 ·
Im about 45-50 min north of u in Williamsport. Thats why I had it narrowed down a bit to only AWD(last car didnt have it after having a Subaru Forester) and yes I misssed it..I was ok with the Forester MPG(and it was a 2001) so either would be better. I had then further narrowed it to the Infiniti G37X and the new 2015(as i dont think finding a 2014 hatch will be a realistic option in the summer) WRX Sedan(probably a base model unless I get more in my trade than I expect. I figured roughly same performance..but with the infiniti id have to add in a extended warranty and id already have at least 25K miles on it most likely....though it would be more "luxurious" than the Subaru.. And with the Subaru it would be a decent sedan but also have no real miles on it and be a NEW car with the NEW warranty...

Oh I did think about one thing id have to check on though and thats getting some tires in the deal...I still dont know why they put SUMMER ONLY tires on that WRX...why not some real nice All seasons...people do drive these in the winter lol. So somehow I will have to do some wheeling and dealing and get some all seasons most likely thrown in there for a (hopefully) small fee..I wanted to see if they could roll a steel wheel and winter tire package into the deal and price so they would just get rolled into my monthly payments..but that may be too much $$.

#19 ·
Yea i had a few moments of not being able to help myself as well lol.

Also i have a weird feeling that my first tank of gas was not premium because after i refilled with premium i noticed an increase mpg and it felt like it was running better than before.

I would hope they would fill it with premium on its first tank but you never know.

#20 ·
Just a quick bit of information about the 2015 mpg, the trip computer is always a little ambitious but on a 6 hour drive out into western PA i had my cruise set around 65 to 72 depending on the mood and when i got to the desitination i refueled. My trip computer said 34.5 and i calculated 33.53.

My trip back was not so steady and may have seen higher speeds, also took a lot less time but i averaged 27mpg on the way back.

In normal 20 mile drive to work without any care in the world for mpg i am getting 27-28 average.

#24 ·
What I want is

1.something I can drive year around this will be a daily driver.
2. Something thats AWD for the weather in the winter.
3 Something thats realtively sporty and looks decent
4. Something that gets decent MPG(25+ MPG or better highway)
Funny, I am in a similar situation. I have pretty much decided on a 2015 wrx. Before then I was considering used luxury vehicle as alternative. This is the route I have gone with my 2 previous cars, CPO A4 and 535xi. I still have the bimmer, and i love it, but my CPO warranty is about to expire and want to dump it before then. Repairs on the german cars are just so expensive.

I almost pulled the trigger on CPO G37x. AWD is a necessity for me, as I don't get snow days off from work. The G is definitely nice and fun to drive, mileage is so-so. The biggest limiter for me is no manual with awd. My 1st 5 cars were all stick, and my last 2 with AWD were autos. I miss rowing the gears, and it is hard to find something with AWD, performance and stick, especially new.

So if you want a stick-shift, I would go with Subie. If you are planning for an auto, then I would go with either the CVT wrx or G37. The wrx will definitely be more performance tuned, with the G having more luxury feel.

#27 ·
My recommdation would be to buy a used Prius for now (great commuter car and believe it or not, an acceptable highway car) and move to one of your selections in a few years. It is what I did a few years back and have not regretted it for a second. My Pri'i is now at 248K miles and has never been to the dealer for anything. Nada. Zero. With just tire changes, standard fluid/filter maintenance, and a single brake change to date, it is by far the cheapest vehicle to operate I've ever owned. Although I list an Audi S5 in my profile sig, I've a few other rides, and the Prius helps me to afford them. The ONLY issue I have is staying diligent at driving it to and from work....its tough when you can look in the garage and take something a LOT more fun into work...lol.
I'd stay away from Infinity tbh. Many reasons, but mostly, I just think they are slow.
The dodge has some good aftermarket power options, and they are pretty cheap overall, so that would be a good choice.
The SHO is a beaut, and has the potential for huge HP gains if you can spend the money, and trumps your other selections as far as utility, amenities, and comfort for sure.
Appearance-wise, I love the CTS, but have not driven one, but have heard decent things about them.
One thought..have you considered a used Legacy GT with a 2.5 turbo. You can get the same power adders as for a WRX, and still enjoy the space and comfort. I loved mine, and still wish I owned it tbh.

#28 ·
If you're looking for a reasonably sport and comfortable ride I suggest the g37x sedan. The 7AT transmission is not bad and you will really enjoy the low RPM power in that car. Plus the interior is very comfortable and the navigation and tech were really impressive for me. I had a 2013 g37 ipl 7AT and really enjoyed the car, but it was a little small for me. If you can get a car Cars for Sale: 2013 Infiniti G37 x in Addison, TX 75001: Sedan Details - 356819719 - AutoTrader.com
I think you'll be very happy.

Of course the WRX is much more performance minded in terms of handling and with the 2015 model you will get better gas mileage. But for a highway cruiser with great passing power, I say go with the infiniti.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.