'11 WRX vs 08 G35X
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '11 WRX vs 08 G35X within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Need an honest, unbiased opinion on this one. I am looking at getting a new car since my daughter is ...

'11 WRX vs 08 G35X

Need an honest, unbiased opinion on this one. I am looking at getting a new car since my daughter is getting bigger and have another child on the way. I don't have the luxury to go out and test drive both of these cars and make sure that everything fits and all that jazz. At least not at this point in time. Of course, I will obviously drive it before I buy it but just wanted to get some opinions on both of these cars. I have found a 2011 WRX limited for 19 grand, however, it has 70,000 miles on it. The G35 is around 15 grand and has about 50,000 miles on it. They would both be used as a DD. A few questions I have are:

How is the G35X's AWD system?

What are your opinions on each vehicle?

Is it worth the extra 4 grand for the WRX with 20,000 more miles on it?

Feel free to throw anything else out there for me.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I were in your situation I would want the lowest mileage, most reliable car I could get. Subarus are great but you have no idea how it was treated. Turbo engines can be expensive to fix. I would strongly recommend a CPO just for piece of mind.

I had an '08 WRX and now have a G37x. It's very close to a G35x. The AWD system in the Subaru is definitely better, but not a deal breaker. I'm in Michigan and I can tell you first hand that my G37 has taken me through this winter just as well as my Subaru did. The difference is the AWD in the Infiniti is rear-biased and the Subaru is more or less 50/50. Infinitis are VERY reliable cars...especially the G series. Between those two cars you mentioned...I'd definitely for the G as long as it wasn't abused...inspection by a mechanic for both either way. CPO cars generally jack up the price another $1,500-$2,000 just because they're CPO. You can always buy a warranty. Either car is a good choice, but I'd look at mileage/long-term reliability as the main factor in your case. Just my opinion.

I imagine maintenance costs on an Infiniti would be much more than a Subaru...plus it's a 6+ year old car at this point. Even with 70k miles on it, the Subaru is a newer vehicle with capability of lasting quite awhile.

The problem is, these are two different cars for two completely different markets, so comparing them is going to be a little difficult. What are you looking for in a car? The interior of the G35 is certainly going to be miles ahead of any WRX interior in comfort and quality. The WRX is gonna be more noisy and is bound to have some rattles around. So which is better for your everyday comfort?

I've come from 2 STIs and now a 2012 WRX...the rattles and noise are moot points to me so I don't care. But will it matter to your family? I dunno...honestly you need to get seat time in both to figure out which you like more and go from there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I imagine maintenance costs on an Infiniti would be much more than a Subaru...plus it's a 6+ year old car at this point. Even with 70k miles on it, the Subaru is a newer vehicle with capability of lasting quite awhile.

The problem is, these are two different cars for two completely different markets, so comparing them is going to be a little difficult. What are you looking for in a car? The interior of the G35 is certainly going to be miles ahead of any WRX interior in comfort and quality. The WRX is gonna be more noisy and is bound to have some rattles around. So which is better for your everyday comfort?

I've come from 2 STIs and now a 2012 WRX...the rattles and noise are moot points to me so I don't care. But will it matter to your family? I dunno...honestly you need to get seat time in both to figure out which you like more and go from there.
    I agree with everything except for maintenance costs. I can tell you I spent a lot more on my WRX. Although the Infiniti the OP is looking at is older. The manufacturer's maintenance schedule for the Subaru vs. my G37 adds up to a lot more. The interior and build quality is definitely better on the Infiniti. The VQ motors are amazing. However, like Mikie13 said...it all depends what's most important to you. These cars are VERY different. I'm leasing my Infiniti and I can tell you I plan to go back to the WRX in 2016. Reasons...I miss the noise, the turbo, the slight rawness and the just the way it handles. The Infiniti is VERY refined and VERY fast and VERY reliable, but it definitely lacks personality. As my wife says...'The Infiniti just isn't you'.

The VQ35 is a great motor (formerly had a 350z). And the one thing about the Subaru maintenance schedule is that it is a bit overdone. You don't have to take it to the dealer to do that...considering they charge an arm and a leg for a $15 cabin filter...you can save a ton of money by doing a lot of that yourself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Two completely different cars. I disagree that the subaru awd is more advanced.

The g35x uses a earlier form of the nissan ets system, the more advanced from is found in the gtr. The car starts in rwd drive mode and moves to a awd drive when the car loses traction. Benefit is you get better mpg and handling of rwd car but still get awd traction when needed.

Also mantaince is cheaper then the subaru since the g35 uses a timinig chain instead of the a timing belt of the subaru motor. The timing chain is good for 200k miles. Also if you buy parts from the nissan dealership there cheaper then the infiniti dealership (same parts).

If you get the manual make sure the engine doesnt eat oil. The rev-up engines are known to eat oil. The interior is a lot nicer. The interior is loads nicer then the wrx.

I use to have a g35 coupe and car lasted me about 168k without any major problems.

I opted for the 2014 wrx since i'm going back to school and i like the idea of factory turbo, awd and the easy tune ability for cheap. The wrx does handle better since the car is lighter, i love the all the low end torque. You have to rev the g35 to really feel the power.

Stock for stock i think the g35 is better car, unless your going to mod the car. Making a g35 fast is a lot more expensive then making a wrx fast. I would say both cars are reliable.

cliff notes..

wrx = more utility (hatch), sporty handling, great low end torque, good tune ability for cheap

g35x = more comfortable, better interior, heavier car, expensive to tune

Thanks for the opinions!

Really, as much as I would like to do some minor mods on a WRX, either car would be used to drive to and from work for the majority of the time (with a little bit of fun here and there".

Rattles and all that wouldn't bother me on the WRX. Really, I guess I'm just worried that if I get a G35, It wouldn't be near as fun to drive and I would regret buying it. I know I need to just get out and drive both of them and decide for myself, just wanted to get opinions on both cars. Keep in mind that I have limited funds so cheaper would be nicer.

Thanks again guys!

Coming from the VQ35 engine in my old 350z...there is plenty of power, always on tap thanks to the near linear torque curve (guess its not a curve, right?)...but it's boring. I liked the car, and it certainly looked great. But it was always lacking something. I wanted out of the Z after only a year and back into an STI. The rawness and driveability of the Subaru, and most of all...the turbo...brought me back.

Okay, tell me if this sounds right to you guys. Because it sure doesn't sound right to me.

I checked with my insurance lady see get a quote on both cars. For full coverage, the G35 is 425 every 6 months and the WRX is 330 every 6 months...

If that's the case, then the WRX it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Korn Dawg View Post
    Okay, tell me if this sounds right to you guys. Because it sure doesn't sound right to me.

I checked with my insurance lady see get a quote on both cars. For full coverage, the G35 is 425 every 6 months and the WRX is 330 every 6 months...

It all depends on who you are and where you live, but I can tell you this: '08 WRX = $505 / 6 months (in 2012) & '13 G37x = $735 / 6 months (SE Michigan - clean record, mid 30's, $500 deductible)

Edit: Part of the reason MAY be that the G series is quite often on the 'most stolen car models' list. Something else to keep in mind depending on where you live. I live about 40 minutes north of Detroit...I don't take my G to the city. Sad, but true.

Define "full coverage." What's your deductible?

God NJ insurance sucks arse. I pay just under $600 a every 6 months and that's very low on the totem pole in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Korn Dawg View Post

Luxury car versus performance economy car. Cost of repair on the g35 is going to be higher if your ever in a accident since its a luxury brand and infiniti charges more for parts at least msrp wise.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.