Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So have you not driven an ST? If not I believe my assessment has a bit more validity seeing as ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So have you not driven an ST? If not I believe my assessment has a bit more validity seeing as how I have driven both cars on many occasions. Also if you are attempting to compare the GR WRX with an Evo in the handling department, you have another thing coming. AWD systems are not created equal, and while the Evo retains one of the most advanced AWD systems available on a street car, the WRX utilizes one of the worst: open differentials and a VCU. In the end, the feel of the ST is much improved over that of the GR WRX.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I never said i never drove one. I merely stated i never owened one. I am also completely biased against FWD cars because of the overall amount of money ive dumped into them.

As far as the EVO goes i only based it off of that because he had sold his WRX before i was done fixing up my Focus. Even his WRX would have taken my focus though. Not stock obviously but we never kept our cars stock for more than a month it seems.

The ST has less HP than my old cars and both of my old cars had adjustable coilovers to help with handling. I only took the ST around the block and was not impressed (it was also raining). For a car in its price range sure its a decent car. i wish they had this car when i first decided to modify a focus.

Im just not a fan of how it felt when going around corners in the rain. i test drove the WRX CVT and the MT that same day and they felt solid on around the corners even though it was raining. my wife had fun so i went with the CVT so she can drive it as well.

In the rain the WRX was a blast to drive while the Focus was a bit sketchy in my opinion.

I also drove a Lotus Exige that day as well but that was mainly to scare my wife.

zax
    The 2015 WRX is FAR better than the older models.

Facebook me here

Yea I just realized he has a 2013 and wants tighter steering. For some reason i thought he was on the fence regarding a '15 rex or the focus.

This interests me though- 2012 - 2013 Ford Focus ST | Performance Upgrades & Modifications | Hennessey Performance

I wish they had this when i was dumping money into a 2.0 and 2.3 D-Tech. Would probably still own it lol.

As far as steering goes, it depends on how much cash he wants to drop. He can get an aftermarket steering set up to take the slop out and tighten up his suspension which will help.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yea the 2015 is the way to go, check this out too!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nCVA7_6uzZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yea the 2015 is the way to go, check this out too!

you could just get the ST. and enjoy all the torque steer and losing traction through 2nd gear once you have some real power.
    well i wouldnt say enjoy...... you get what i mean.
    i got the spt short throw linkage for my wrx and it made a good difference, a short throw lever isnt that expensive either and an easy DIY project for an afternoon.

lets not forget..... when the Focus ST came out LOTS of people tried comparing it to the WRX...... if i remember right it lost against the WRX in every category except interior lol.
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    you could just get the ST. and enjoy all the torque steer and losing traction through 2nd gear once you have some real power.
    well i wouldnt say enjoy...... you get what i mean.
    i got the spt short throw linkage for my wrx and it made a good difference, a short throw lever isnt that expensive either and an easy DIY project for an afternoon.

lets not forget..... when the Focus ST came out LOTS of people tried comparing it to the WRX...... if i remember right it lost against the WRX in every category except interior lol.
    Has your head been buried in sand? The ST became THE sport compact to benchmark against.

You obviously have never driven an ST.

Facebook me here

The st is actually pretty amazing for being fwd, don't knock it till you've tried it.

What do you want from your car? The pros and con's list is a great idea. The wrx steering is ****, slightly better in the 2015, but still nothing to jump up and down about. Have you owned an awd car before? I personally didn't think it was going to matter that much, drive your wrx for a week and you will likely never go fwd again. Wrx isn't as nice as the ford inside, and probably has less features stock. You have to consider that the wrx is cheaper and better performance wise. The ford is less race machine and maybe a little more refined. Iirc the st seats were better than the wrx. So ford= nice interior, better wheel feel and probably a little more mpg. Wrx= Better at everything else.

The wrx does have a shallow catch point for the clutch, but you'll get used to it. Every car is going to feel weird until you drive it for a bit.

Lastly you can't really think that the wrx doesn't feel like a sports car.... Sure the steering is limp but cmon man, this will outrace any other car in the price range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.