Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a FWD car with a little pep back in 2004 (2004 SER Spec-V, modded) thought it was great, ...

I had a FWD car with a little pep back in 2004 (2004 SER Spec-V, modded) thought it was great, i could cherp the tires in 4th and at the time it was pretty quick (behind the SRT-4). Sold it and got a few other cars, then i looked back in to getting another sport compact. Test drove the newer Spec-V then figured i would look at the 2009 WRX. After driving both cars on the same day with in 2 hours of each other i realized i will never buy a perform ace oriented FWD car ever... EVER.

People can comment on how great this and that FWD handle but the fact is traction sucks and we aren't on a track. Day to day life is 0-40, 0-60, 60-0... rain, snow, dirty roads... the WRX destroys just about every other car in day to day life.

Quick story... I am in the USAF about a month ago we had some pilots fly in, one of them had family in dover (daughter, recently divorced) he had 24 hours to see her before he was out again. It was snowing pretty bad and the roads were crap (4-6 inches not plowed), so i figured i would take him to his daughter. We walked to the parking lot and there were 3 cars, my WRX and 2 trucks... he said as we walked out "i hope yours is the WRX w/ the snow tires", "Yep". made it there and back like nothing... only car on the road.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had a FWD car with a little pep back in 2004 (2004 SER Spec-V, modded) thought it was great, i could cherp the tires in 4th and at the time it was pretty quick (behind the SRT-4). Sold it and got a few other cars, then i looked back in to getting another sport compact. Test drove the newer Spec-V then figured i would look at the 2009 WRX. After driving both cars on the same day with in 2 hours of each other i realized i will never buy a perform ace oriented FWD car ever... EVER.

People can comment on how great this and that FWD handle but the fact is traction sucks and we aren't on a track. Day to day life is 0-40, 0-60, 60-0... rain, snow, dirty roads... the WRX destroys just about every other car in day to day life.

Quick story... I am in the USAF about a month ago we had some pilots fly in, one of them had family in dover (daughter, recently divorced) he had 24 hours to see her before he was out again. It was snowing pretty bad and the roads were crap (4-6 inches not plowed), so i figured i would take him to his daughter. We walked to the parking lot and there were 3 cars, my WRX and 2 trucks... he said as we walked out "i hope yours is the WRX w/ the snow tires", "Yep". made it there and back like nothing... only car on the road.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I've actually heard many complaints regarding the recaros. Interesting.
    Every review I've read about the ST said the recaros suck, which shocked me. Maybe Im naive that I thought recaros would be the best seats available

Also I've read that the ST feels more loose/floaty compared to the WRX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    One of the first things I noticed about the WRX was that it felt loose/sloppy/had lots of body roll. These would-be problems in those FF vehicles are mitigated by WRX's AWD platform. Getting used to the feel of a stock AWD system/suspension took a bit of time coming from a tuned FWD susp.
    Quote Originally Posted by skimd View Post
    Yes, the rex may need mods to maximize performance. Yes, the rex is more expensive than the Fiesta and Focus. Yes, the rex lacks the interior sophistication of the Volkswagen.
    The answer is the 2015 WRX - it no longer feels sloppy out the box. I know the previous models performed well in stock setup, but now it feels much better doing it. I saw a couple of seat comments in the thread, so I'd like to add that the seats are both supportive and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post

I owned a blackout '04 spec V, which has been my only 6 speed thus far. Took a while to get used to the short gears but DAMN that thing was a sleeper. I wanted to go turbo but sold it for a Mazdaspeed Protege because they had amazing handling (since I was thinking about corners as well). The Mazda was a huge money pit regardless of how good it handled... plus still FWD. I've thought about upgraded sway bars on my WRX, but as mentioned above, the '15 seems to be the perfect answer.

Though I'm not quite sold on the exterior styling... I like my '12 better.
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    The answer is the 2015 WRX - it no longer feels sloppy out the box. I know the previous models performed well in stock setup, but now it feels much better doing it. I saw a couple of seat comments in the thread, so I'd like to add that the seats are both supportive and comfortable.
    This ^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psfc622490.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    I owned a blackout '04 spec V, which has been my only 6 speed thus far. Took a while to get used to the short gears but DAMN that thing was a sleeper. I wanted to go turbo but sold it for a Mazdaspeed Protege because they had amazing handling (since I was thinking about corners as well). The Mazda was a huge money pit regardless of how good it handled... plus still FWD. I've thought about upgraded sway bars on my WRX, but as mentioned above, the '15 seems to be the perfect answer.

I used to have an 03 se-r, automatic...terrible thing. The neat thing about spec v's was they had 08-14 wrx interiors 6 years earlier than the wrxs!
    2015 WRB WRX Premium
    2011 SWP WRX 5 Door *old*

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post

I used to have an 03 se-r, automatic...terrible thing. The neat thing about spec v's was they had 08-14 wrx interiors 6 years earlier than the wrxs!
    2015 WRB WRX Premium
    2011 SWP WRX 5 Door *old*

I have a hard time believing any of this sorry. Ive owned a modified focus hatch and a mazdaspeed 3 and none of them can compare to ANY of the WRX's I drove around with. Were you driving a used 2013? If so you might want to look into what was done to it. Also if its been driven hard then the steering may have taken a beating over the past year.

Also one reason why a FWD car feels tight in the turns is because its FWD. If the WRX you drove felt off then another thing to consider would be checking its suspension set up.

I may be new to the WRX scene but i had some pretty heavily modified cars in the past that were FWD and none of them compared to a properly set up WRX.

Yes, the Focus ST is capable of being beaten in every way by a WRX. Preparing the WRX to make that possible is expensive and time consuming, but fun and rewarding. You should definitely do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Yes, the Focus ST is capable of being beaten in every way by a WRX. Preparing the WRX to make that possible is expensive and time consuming, but fun and rewarding. You should definitely do it.
    Im really confused by this statement.

You said the focus isn't capable of of beating the WRX (which i fully agree with) and then said that preparing the WRX to do so would be expensive?

A Focus RT is a waste of money unless you really really like getting your ass handed to you by a WRX. My old Focus would make the R/T its sex slave and i got owned by my buddies WRX all day every day. Transferring all of that power to just the front wheels just doesn't compare to a good launch from the WRX and it still wont hug the curves as well as the WRX.

This is coming from someone who already had fun wasting his money as a kid with the FWD cars and the 2.3 ltr duratech

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's ridiculous. A Focus ST will far out handle stock GR WRX from the factory. Hot laps aside, the Focus feels much more composed compared to the sloppy GR and GD WRXs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Depends on who's behind the wheel...nuff said.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

We are talking about a ford focus right? Beating a 2008+ WRX?

Will it break an axle lmao. I broke 2 in one year. God I'm glad I don't drive that car anymore.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Which year ST did you own?

Also if you are breaking axles on the ST, your WRX 5mt will be toast very soon...
    Last edited by zax; 04-28-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I didnt have an ST. I purchased a 2006 3 door, gutted it, swapped a 2.3, cossworth cams, cossworth intake manifold, and the list piles up until i wasted about 25k trying to make a Focus go fast and handle better.

Blew two engines in that car (the first was a 2.0), and a transmission.

Then went on to a MaxdaSpeed3 and wasted another 20k on modifications.

The focus now has a NA 2.0 with cams and i gave it away to my sister because it was a money pit

The Mazda was rear ended and totaled.

The Focus ST (and the new RT for that matter) have nothing on my old cars and my car got its ass kicked by AWDs all the time. Mainly by my buddies EVO.

I definitely wish i would have spent my deployment money on other things besides a front wheel drive car.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 04-28-2014 at 10:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.