Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Gonzo3333 I went to my local VW dealership to test drive a Drivers Edition GTI. The salesman ...

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo3333 View Post
    I went to my local VW dealership to test drive a Drivers Edition GTI. The salesman didn't take me seriously and would not let me test drive it. I let him know another dealership would be happy to take my money. The sales manager then ran out and followed me to my car and I told him I would prefer walking everywhere to buying a car from them.
    so weird. whenever I go look at cars they are throwing keys at me... I dont look rich or anything nor am I. When I bought my fiesta and my escape... they wanted me to take them for the afternoon.. haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

My GTI was always breaking until I got rid of it. Only had 65k miles. Was a nightmare and now I think my WRX is going to always break because im nervous now haha. Other than that I loved my GTI. Awesome powerband, interior, and MPG. If it wasn't breaking all the time I would still have it. IMHO FiST> GTI > FoST. In FWD term cars.

One of the first things I noticed about the WRX was that it felt loose/sloppy/had lots of body roll. These would-be problems in those FF vehicles are mitigated by WRX's AWD platform. Getting used to the feel of a stock AWD system/suspension took a bit of time coming from a tuned FWD susp.

Coming from fwd, I like the subaru awd better. 'Tuned' FWD suspension is almost nothing compared to a 'tuned' AWD system in my opinion with comparable mods. I will say that it is much more capable in the corners, especially on exit. You can really power out of the corners.

FWD; not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    FWD; not a fan.
    Agreed.

Jetta GTI and Fiesta oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Agreed.
    Another blast of thick heavy snow in the northeast.

I am plowing through the nastiness on the highway and there are disasters everywhere!

Not me-- never felt more secure than in the WRX with performance Blizzaks.

Blew past a GTI with his front wheels spinning (torquing to the left-- dangerously!) and past a Fiesta spun around and bashed-up against the divider. (no one hurt, thank goodness). So many other cars damaged and dysfunctional on the interstate!

Yes, the rex may need mods to maximize performance. Yes, the rex is more expensive than the Fiesta and Focus. Yes, the rex lacks the interior sophistication of the Volkswagen.

But what is safety and security worth in treacherous weather? PRICELESS!!!! I am so glad I went with the WRX!!!

It's is so much better in the snow and slush than my beamer, than my 4runner, than my highlander and my Pathfinder.

The car is just ridiculously stable in the snow.

Ski on and be safe!

No complaints here with the WRX/blizzaks, I'm impressed. And we've been pummeled with snow. It can't do everything my FX4 could do, but hey, for a performance car in the snow, it's exceptional.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Depends on if you like feel or performance. Matt Farah on Drive says that the ST is a fun car and a lot for the price. It's not the fastest or best, nor does it outperform a WRX, but because it 'feels' fast and 'feels ' fun, it is the best car on the street and within the speed limit.

However, if you want the car that outperforms the other, from what I understand the WRX wins in almost every way. Does it 'feel' the fastest? no. But it's a better performer, and a better car.

I'm out. Good luck with your decision. Please get what you will be happiest driving in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chiming in as a former Focus ST owner, I wouldn't buy that car again. It isn't a bad car by any means, but there were several flaws IMO.

1. That much power to the front wheels is not super effective in the rain, and in the snow it was almost useless at times(this is with some proper stud less snows) . Car is much better suited to a warmer dryer climate.

2. Make sure to spend some time sitting in the car before you buy, I wish I would have. I could never find a comfortable seating position in the ST. I enjoyed the Recaros, but I could never get the seat to go low enough. It constantly felt like I was sitting very upright with my knees bent at an angle that started to make them hurt after a while.

3. Ford quality control did not impress me. Had several trim pieces that needed to be replaced in the 6 months I owned the car. The nav/myford touch was one of the most annoying and sluggish pieces of technology I've ever used, and that was when it worked as intended, which only seemed like it happened 60ish % of the time. And the paint was already starting to flake.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the WRX will hold it's value pretty damn well, the ford not so much. Ford has so many rebates on these cars you can pick up a fully loaded ST3 for around 25-26, which is a pretty good deal for all the stuff included.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've actually heard many complaints regarding the recaros. Interesting.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Even the guy in the WRX vs. FocusST head to head video complained about the Focus seat comfort. Seems that Recaro laid an egg with that one.

I owned a Honda Fit for about 3 months before I dumped it. Never in my life had I ever sat in more uncomfortable seats. I could not find one single seating position that didn't hurt my back. And I tried pillows, lumbar supports, rolled-up towels, etc. Nothing worked. Of course, I only started to notice the back pain after about 15-20 minutes of sitting in the car. So, I didn't figure this out during the brief initial test drives before I bought the car, unfortunately.

Before I bought my 2014 WRX, I sat in one at the dealership for about 45 minutes straight to make sure the seats were comfortable. After 45 full minutes of just sitting in one spot, my back felt as good as new. Decided to buy one the next day. The WRX seats are easily the most comfortable, supportive seats I've ever sat in. Even my '06 Civic Si and '03 RSX-S seats weren't as nice. Really glad I bought this car.
    Last edited by Drew_V; 04-01-2014 at 06:19 PM.

^^

I have a fairly high stress job, so when my body tightened up, I would be prone to different pains, neck, back, in my FX4. I've noticed NONE in the WRX. And we have "a lot" goin on right now. Or it could be the exhilaration of the WRX.. I digress.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I've actually heard many complaints regarding the recaros. Interesting.
    They really did. My father had an 06 S4 wit Recaros that were some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Was one of the main reasons I was so excited about them in the ST. They weren't awful, maybe slightly tight, the main issue was finding a comfortable seating position. I'm 6' 4", so I assumed it was just me until I started looking at reviews online.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.