Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

This is a discussion on Any way to make the WRX feel as tight as the Ford Focus ST? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I to was on the fence between the st and the wrx price is same power roughly same I drove ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    phoenix,az
    Posts
    31
    I to was on the fence between the st and the wrx price is same power roughly same I drove both and I went wxr for the awd better platform for modding I was a focus person for 3 generation of them zx3 08ses 12 hatch I have a kartboy ss and bushings on the way

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6
    The thing that drove me bonkers on the test drive was the engagement point of the clutch. I have done some reading about the issue and come to the conclusion that almost nothing can be done about the issue.

    The further I look into the pro's and con's the more I see myself purchasing the ST. I don't want to spend $28,000-29,000 on a brand new car and have to spend another $3,000+ on making the brand new car feel like a sports car should. If Subaru would step up their game this might be a different story. I own a Subaur Legacy right now and I think the Legacy actually handles better than the WRX.

    I would love to have the extra power offered by the WRX. I just don't want to add the extra cost on top to a car company that will not bring the cost of the car down, especially if I need to make modifications to make that car feel like a true sports car should. I really wanted to like the WRX, but it's handling characteristics were it's demise for a buyer like me.

  4. #18
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,957
    Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    I drove them both. I'm a salesman for ford and personally not a fan of the focus st. The fiesta st is a different story. One thing I do know is that the focus summer tires are horrible in the winter. We have a hard time
    Moving them around the lot in the snow so you will need to upgrade them. The focus interior is amazing and far beats the wrx. I own an 11 wrx sedan and I wouldn't trade it for any focus st. If you have any pricing questions on the focus pm me and I can give you some info. I'm in PA.
    You would need to do this on the WRX as well, if you're in a snowy area. I know people debate about this but no summer tires are a good idea in snow.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  5. #19
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo3333 View Post
    The thing that drove me bonkers on the test drive was the engagement point of the clutch. I have done some reading about the issue and come to the conclusion that almost nothing can be done about the issue.

    The further I look into the pro's and con's the more I see myself purchasing the ST. I don't want to spend $28,000-29,000 on a brand new car and have to spend another $3,000+ on making the brand new car feel like a sports car should. If Subaru would step up their game this might be a different story. I own a Subaur Legacy right now and I think the Legacy actually handles better than the WRX.

    I would love to have the extra power offered by the WRX. I just don't want to add the extra cost on top to a car company that will not bring the cost of the car down, especially if I need to make modifications to make that car feel like a true sports car should. I really wanted to like the WRX, but it's handling characteristics were it's demise for a buyer like me.
    There isn't really all that much extra power though. The ST is only down 13 hp, and is up 26 tq on the rex. That tq comes on earlier in the powerband too. So I'm not really sure why you keep saying the rex is so much more powerful?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5VQ View Post
    I agree. As much as I love my Altima, 270 horsepower and front wheel drive sucks. I think the WRX is my next car.
    Do it! I went from a 2013 Altima with the VQ35 to an STi - goodbye traction issues!

    Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

  7. #21
    Registered User skimd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo3333 View Post
    I would love to have the extra power offered by the WRX. I just don't want to add the extra cost on top to a car company that will not bring the cost of the car down, especially if I need to make modifications to make that car feel like a true sports car should. I really wanted to like the WRX, but it's handling characteristics were it's demise for a buyer like me.
    You will be happy with the Focus.

    Most important thing is that you be happy with the car, it's characteristics, and what you paid for it.

    Drive it with pleasure and enjoyment. Those are the points, aren't they?

  8. #22
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,817
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Again I would highly recommend waiting for the 2015.

    I would personally purchase a Focus ST over a 2014 WRX... But the 2015 is a different story
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6
    No hatchback = no buy

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Short shifter with a new shift knob makes all the difference for the manual feel. I much prefer this option to the stock Focus ST shifter.

    I really wanted to buy a Focus ST. I test drove one multiple times and kept walking away disappointed. Yes the handling is tighter than the WRX, but the Focus ST felt, to me, very unnatural. The car uses too much computer management for my tastes and it feels more like I am driving a car in a video game vs real life.

    I also owned a Speed3 and have been down the high torque/tq FWD game before and I simply prefer AWD and RWD cars. Living in Minnesota I ultimately determined the WRX was just a much more practical car for me. The rear legroom in the Focus ST was much tighter than the WRX (which was important to me) and the Ford Mytouch system and me do not get along

    That said the Focus ST is a fun car, and it is a crazy value. Dealers here were offering me a 14 ST with the ST3 package for $25.5. ST2 package was $22K and change. At the end of the day I found the WRX to be a better fit for me in terms of practicality and power. I am planning to add stiffer springs, sway bars, and camber bolts with a proper alignment. It will help with the handling but I don't ever expect this car to handle like my BRZ did.

    I think the advice to wait for the 2015 WRX is sound unless you only want a hatch (2015 is sedan only). Steering is tighter and handling should be improved. MotorTrend did a Focus ST vs 2015 WRX and the WRX seemed to be the better car in every category. And I don't usually keep cars more than 3-5 years and the WRX will hold it's value much better than the ST.

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    There isn't really all that much extra power though. The ST is only down 13 hp, and is up 26 tq on the rex. That tq comes on earlier in the powerband too. So I'm not really sure why you keep saying the rex is so much more powerful?
    The WRX feels more powerful to me because you lose a lot more power on the ST due to wheelspin at launch and trying to control the front end. Also look at the trap speed times on the WRX vs ST. The WRX was considerably faster. The ST is no slouch and pulls pretty hard once you are rolling, but I also found the WRX to feel more powerful when I test drove them.

    The torque vectoring on the ST is a blessing and a curse. It makes the car feel less like a FWD car, but it also manipulates the car to the point where you feel like there is a computer driving the car, not you.

    OP, you may want to look into the 2015 VW GTI and Golf R as well.

  12. #26
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,957
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    The WRX feels more powerful to me because you lose a lot more power on the ST due to wheelspin at launch and trying to control the front end. Also look at the trap speed times on the WRX vs ST. The WRX was considerably faster. The ST is no slouch and pulls pretty hard once you are rolling, but I also found the WRX to feel more powerful when I test drove them.
    Gotcha. Well, that's not the same as being more powerful, that just means the power is put down better. Semantics. Of course an awd car is going to put power down better from a dig.

    I would not be surprised at all if the ST and a current gen WRX are pretty much the same in anything other than going from a dig. In fact, I bet the ST would pull on a WRX in most roll situations because the powerband seems to be broader.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  13. #27
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,817
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    because the powerband seems to be broader.
    No such thing. The K03 in the Focus ST is a tiny little thing. This is the same turbo that was installed in Volkswagen GTIs of the 1.8L era. The Focus ST has significant torque, but the powerband runs out quick. By 5k rpm, you are rapidly losing acceleration. Short shifting the ST you might see similar acceleration compared to the WRX, but IMO the WRX should be faster even from a roll.

    I know Subaru hasn't released details on the 2015 internals, but I can promise you that Subaru has chosen the route of a small turbo since the torque peaks so early (2000 rpm). I just hope that Subaru hasn't chosen to align with KKK turbos since those things are absolute turds.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Gotcha. Well, that's not the same as being more powerful, that just means the power is put down better. Semantics. Of course an awd car is going to put power down better from a dig.

    I would not be surprised at all if the ST and a current gen WRX are pretty much the same in anything other than going from a dig. In fact, I bet the ST would pull on a WRX in most roll situations because the powerband seems to be broader.
    Possible. My test drives were not ideal for either car with summer tires, but the WRX felt like it kept the power down much easier in my test drives from starting to passing on the freeway. If I did not live in a state where it rained/snowed 10 months out of the year the ST would have been a tougher choice, although the rear seat legroom was a deal breaker for me in the ST anyway. I brought car seats with me and installed them in both cars and the WRX was so much easier to live with for kids. Rear facing car seat in an ST is a no go unless you either do not have a passenger in the front seat or that person is under 4 ft tall.

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    OP, you may want to look into the 2015 VW GTI and Golf R as well.
    I went to my local VW dealership to test drive a Drivers Edition GTI. The salesman didn't take me seriously and would not let me test drive it. I let him know another dealership would be happy to take my money. The sales manager then ran out and followed me to my car and I told him I would prefer walking everywhere to buying a car from them.

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo3333 View Post
    I went to my local VW dealership to test drive a Drivers Edition GTI. The salesman didn't take me seriously and would not let me test drive it. I let him know another dealership would be happy to take my money. The sales manager then ran out and followed me to my car and I told him I would prefer walking everywhere to buying a car from them.
    That's frustrating. Just an FYI the 2015 GTI will be out sometime in May/June (the current model is the 2014). It is significantly updated and improved. It is already out in Europe so there are comparisons to the ST out there. With the performance pack, the 2015 GTI sounds like a good rival to the ST but you will have to wait to buy if that is an option. Personally, I have owned a number of VW's and have found them to be unreliable and dealers to be arrogant (like you already experienced). The ST is a great car for the money. If you like it and buy it, and did your homework then that what matters most.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •