Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX vs. 2011-14 STi

51K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  vivtelliii!!!! 
#1 ·
So I'm getting ready to deploy and when I get back, I'm looking into getting a Subaru. A bit of an upgrade from my speed3. You can have 385 whp all day but if you can't lay it down clean, there's no point in having it. So I came to you guys cause I know you are the real Subaru enthusiasts. I don't wanna hear bull **** numbers from a dealership. I want you guys to break it down for me. I'm 21, married and the wife is starting to talk about having kids. I want either a new WRX or maybe an older STi for the space. I was considering going with an EVO but the back seat and trunk space is miserable. I don't wanna give up a lot of power, which is why I'm not gonna go with a used WRX. My Mazda was nice, 263 from the factory and I went big with upgrades. Not gonna be going as big as I did. Maybe, an intake exhaust and tune. Or even just an intake and straight pipes. So for the price range, what do you think is gonna be better? Am I gonna be giving up too much power by going to a WRX? What are the pros and cons to each?

Thanks in advance guys!

#2 ·
Hard to compare when no one here has driven a '15, yet. (I assume)
That said, the '15 will likely be a nice daily driver, with pretensions of being a sports sedan, and most STI's are (near-)track cars, that have pretensions of being a daily driver. You'll need to drive them to see what fits the bill. Likely to be very different cars.

Best of luck! :)

#3 ·
True. Can only go over hear/say/see. I see the '15 being a good daily driver. The STi's are so perfect all the way around. It's such a capable daily driver but can I really justify 8-10K of a difference based off of 35 extra HP, some interior immenities and an STi badge? I don't think my wife will buy that.

#8 ·
Wow. So you just answered my question for me. That 8-10K is absolutely not worth it. If I'm paying 30-35K for a car, I want it to show and be able to feel it when I drive. That's just sorry. Well thank you for that! I commend you for your knowledge, sir.

#17 ·
yea i had the option to buy a sti but all the upgrades it comes with IMO are for track purposes. and im not knocking the sti i think theyre awesome. And i know the trans are better in the sti by a long shot, but ii had a 6 speed in my last car and i couldnt stand shifting every 2 seconds.

#30 ·
I had an 04 STi and I also didn't like the 6 speed's ratios. As you stated, you had to shift every 2 seconds. I remember having to shift into 5th gear going down the drag strip (which negatively affects track times). I'm not sure what the 6 speed in the new WRX will be like.
Lots of cars have 6 speeds (Camaro SS for example) and the ratios are much wider and you don't have to shift all the time.
Example Camaro SS, 6 speed (1LE gearing - 3:91 ratio)
Top speed in each gear
1st - 51 mph
2nd - 77 mph
3rd - 105 mph
4th - 140 mph
5th - 190 mph - if drag didn't affect top speed - actual top speed is around 172 mph (stock with speed limiter removed)
6ths - 241 mph - again if drag didn't limit top speed

#19 ·
Um, back to what I said. I wouldn't make decisions based on a bunch of guys on an internet forum. There's more to this than just whp. An STI, (as Raven Logics said) is a stiffly sprung, purpose-built beast. I like that kindof thing, but most people (and most wives and small children) really don't. You'll need to drive the candidates and imagine the realities of carting a wife and kid around in it, if that is a nearterm reality. Not to preach, but once kids enter the picture, it forces us to think beyond just our own, selfish needs.

I've come through the fire; my kids are older, and have adapted to a somewhat modified WRX with aftermarket springs and struts, lol.

#21 ·
Agreed. It comes down to comfort and reliability on top of something quick and capable while I'm on my own. (Going to work, meets, driving, etc.) I feel like the WRX is gonna provide that a little better than the stiffened up suspension of the STi. But, I've driven an '11 STi. Didn't mind it too much myself. But I'm gonna get back, drive both and reevaluate.

#22 ·
My roommate has a 2013 sti and i have 2014 wrx. Only thing i really like on his sti is the brembo brakes. The wrx brakes are kinda weak for a sports sedan. The sti didn't really feel any faster on the street. I think the wrx is better bang for your buck.

Since your married, i would probably recommend just getting a wrx hatch so you have some utility if you decide to have kides and you still have some extra cash to do mods. This car responds really well to stage 2 mods.

I dont think the sti is really worth it unless you want the best subaru has to offer and don't really plan on modding it.

#25 ·
I honestly don't plan on doing much until my warranty is up. Ran into a warranty issue with the tune on my Mazda and got screwed. Dumped 5K+ in parts and I just can't do that anymore. My mod bug came and went. I'm helping with my buddy's '11 STi for him so I'll get my fix through him.

#26 ·
Chime in: I'm going into 42 this year, married and have 3 kids, a 7yr, a 6yr, and my youngest will turn 1yr next month. I'm on a 13' WRX Sedan - I can fit 2 boosters and baby car seat with base just perfect in back seat. The stroller however, will use up about 75-80% of trunk space. I'm on muffler deletes and Stage 2 - older kids love it! Wife, she's over it, lol. Before I stiffened up suspension, the ride was smooth and comfy - now its harsh and wouldn't take whole family on anything over an hour's drive due to comfort. The new 2015's are supposed to be roomier in rear and trunk. I'm really considering a 2015 STI but waiting to test drive it and weigh in the difference in price, performance and feel. Hope this info helps!

#28 ·
You're welcome - I expect the 2015 WRX/STi will ride and handle much better than 11-14 and if you're planning in using the car a lot more than me (2 times a week) to haul family around it'll be a nice ride to have.

#33 ·
First of all you can't buy these cars used.. Check out motortrend march 2014 issue. They compare 15 wrx/Sti with last gen. Gr/gv wrx/Sti. Last gen tested lighter/faster than the 2015. A lot has been changed on the 15. I would try to get a 14 wrx for a daily, in everyday driving the wrx is better, it's lighter and runs the same times as an Sti, the 10k+ is just not worth it on the street. The wing and dccd are useless on the street as well as 6th gear, my friend owns an 07 Sti and he's used the ddcd once in 7 years. Plus that 10k you save maybe more if you get a 14 when the 15's arrive, you can use on aftermarket an whomp an Sti/EVO. And if you really want the diff, cusco makes mechanical diffs. The new wrx does not have the 2.5l EJ nor UEL headers, and it doesn't have it's street/rally looks anymore

#35 ·
Seriously, the 2015 sti ran 13.1@104 in mag tests, no last gen sti ever tested that fast although I'm not sure why. If you want an sti the 15 is the one to get since they barely lose any value as used cars. Love my 15 wrx though, I think it's the way to go for a dd.

#40 ·
Car and driver got a very similar time in the 15 wrx as they did with the last gen. I think 0-60 4.8 1/4 13.6@102 vs 13.5@102 for the 09 And 13.7@100 for the 11. Motortrend said you have to bounce the limiter to hit 60 in 2nd in the 15, which simply isn't true(I tried).

#41 ·
Cool. Yea I have a 14 dgm wrx sedan no wing/no chrome and some goods(spt gauge/Sti short shifter/Sti knob) and I really like the 15's especially the wrx but I'm gonna wait till like '16 or later and try to trade up for one. My friend in NY at his dealer he took pics of a 15 Sti dgm on black bbs and it was so nice, he said dude it's so nice in person, he has an 11 wr blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 ·
I think a stock wrx would beat your fwd to 60, maybe 100....maybe.
Handling also goes to the wrx.

11-14 wrx hatch for sure is the better choice for you(unless you want cvt:thumbdown). Doesn't sound like you need or will get much use out of a car that is 10k more. If you spend ~$1500 on the wrx, you'll have 300+whp or you can probably find one that is already stage 2.

Stock 0-60 is faster than the sti, ride is softer and you can put groceries in it.

#43 ·
I too have a deployment coming up shortly, and I was thinking about getting the 15' WRX...I recently welcomed a newborn myself, and was disappointed that the 15' WRX and STis were not going to have the 5 door option. I pulled the trigger and got one of the last remaining 2014 WRX 5drs, I came from a 9th gen Civic Si, and honestly even with the hatch on the WRX interior size wise is the same. I'm able to just fit our running stroller...the angular door on the hatch makes it a little difficult...granted it is a running stroller so it is much bulkier. My wife currently drives a 2013 Hyundai Elantra, and between the two of us owning compact cars, one of us is going to have to switch to a bigger car. I told my wife how "practical" the WRX will be since it has a hatch...but in all honesty...its not very practical compared to say a Forester.

Stay safe on the deployment.

#45 ·
Lulz at the DCCD comment.

You use the diffs every time you drive the car. The DCCD system is leagues better than the garbage Viscous coupling in the WRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.