2015 WRX vs. 2011-14 STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX vs. 2011-14 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry bro. Didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. I just don't know much when it comes to the vehicles. ...

Sorry bro. Didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. I just don't know much when it comes to the vehicles. I've been on my Mazda stuff for too long. Lost basis with a lot of vehicles. And I'm not saying the price tag isn't justified by any means. I have a group near me in Dayton, OH that swears by the STi. I'm saying I couldn't justify the price tag to my wife. She's not huge in to cars. She sees a $400/month car payment and loses her ****. It's limited me very much in my car search. I have 385 whp in my Mazda and that's all from deployment money. I have to earn all that I get because she hates that I waste money from our savings for anything. Only had to do it once and she didn't talk to me for a week. So I've been limited on a search. Sorry about the rant and the half of a novel there.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Ok, just to get it right here...The STi comes with

-HID's (I know the limited WRX does too, but all STi's do)
    -18 inch wheels (not necessarily a performance enhancer per say, but worth mentioning - note this is due to the larger brakes - see below)
    -Brembo brakes
    -Driver Controlled Center Differential
    -Stiffer suspension from stock
    -6 speed transmission
    -SI drive
    -And of course, the STi badge

All these items done aftermarket would add up to much more than the price difference between an STi and a WRX. I am in no way arguing that an STi is a better option for anyone, as it sounds like a WRX suits a lot of people just fine. It just drives me nuts when I see people saying that there really is no justification for the price difference between the WRX and STi. (AKA I am defending my STi's butthurt).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yea i had the option to buy a sti but all the upgrades it comes with IMO are for track purposes. and im not knocking the sti i think theyre awesome. And i know the trans are better in the sti by a long shot, but ii had a 6 speed in my last car and i couldnt stand shifting every 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Soko View Post
    I think they'll live. Haha. Don't have any yet but the wife caught a case of the baby fever.
    When you have your first child you'll understand. The stiffer and louder the car, the less you'll want to carry your baby in it. The outgoing WRX is fine, but the STI borders on a little harsh as stock - doable, but if you have a good conscience you night not like seeing a newborn's head bouncing around too much.

I Support ClubWRX
    Um, back to what I said. I wouldn't make decisions based on a bunch of guys on an internet forum. There's more to this than just whp. An STI, (as Raven Logics said) is a stiffly sprung, purpose-built beast. I like that kindof thing, but most people (and most wives and small children) really don't. You'll need to drive the candidates and imagine the realities of carting a wife and kid around in it, if that is a nearterm reality. Not to preach, but once kids enter the picture, it forces us to think beyond just our own, selfish needs.

I've come through the fire; my kids are older, and have adapted to a somewhat modified WRX with aftermarket springs and struts, lol.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

So you're saying no straight pipes? What about taking off the resonators? Still too much you think??

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    When you have your first child you'll understand. The stiffer and louder the car, the less you'll want to carry your baby in it. The outgoing WRX is fine, but the STI borders on a little harsh as stock - doable, but if you have a good conscience you night not like seeing a newborn's head bouncing around too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Um, back to what I said. I wouldn't make decisions based on a bunch of guys on an internet forum. There's more to this than just whp. An STI, (as Raven Logics said) is a stiffly sprung, purpose-built beast. I like that kindof thing, but most people (and most wives and small children) really don't. You'll need to drive the candidates and imagine the realities of carting a wife and kid around in it, if that is a nearterm reality. Not to preach, but once kids enter the picture, it forces us to think beyond just our own, selfish needs.

I've come through the fire; my kids are older, and have adapted to a somewhat modified WRX with aftermarket springs and struts, lol.
    Agreed. It comes down to comfort and reliability on top of something quick and capable while I'm on my own. (Going to work, meets, driving, etc.) I feel like the WRX is gonna provide that a little better than the stiffened up suspension of the STi. But, I've driven an '11 STi. Didn't mind it too much myself. But I'm gonna get back, drive both and reevaluate.

My roommate has a 2013 sti and i have 2014 wrx. Only thing i really like on his sti is the brembo brakes. The wrx brakes are kinda weak for a sports sedan. The sti didn't really feel any faster on the street. I think the wrx is better bang for your buck.

Since your married, i would probably recommend just getting a wrx hatch so you have some utility if you decide to have kides and you still have some extra cash to do mods. This car responds really well to stage 2 mods.

I dont think the sti is really worth it unless you want the best subaru has to offer and don't really plan on modding it.

So you're saying no straight pipes? What about taking off the resonators? Still too much you think??
    I took the stock mufflers off my 14' sedan and had straight pipe welded up for $80 ($20 for the flanges). I kept the resonator on and it really isnt that loud at all. Only time you notice it is when cruising 75+ when the rpms are at or above 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    I took the stock mufflers off my 14' sedan and had straight pipe welded up for $80 ($20 for the flanges). I kept the resonator on and it really isnt that loud at all. Only time you notice it is when cruising 75+ when the rpms are at or above 3000.
    Sweet. Thanks for the input man. Just trying to get a grasp on what to do. I'd like it to be louder than stock but not droning.

Quote Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
    My roommate has a 2013 sti and i have 2014 wrx. Only thing i really like on his sti is the brembo brakes. The wrx brakes are kinda weak for a sports sedan. The sti didn't really feel any faster on the street. I think the wrx is better bang for your buck.

Since your married, i would probably recommend just getting a wrx hatch so you have some utility if you decide to have kides and you still have some extra cash to do mods. This car responds really well to stage 2 mods.

I dont think the sti is really worth it unless you want the best subaru has to offer and don't really plan on modding it.
    I honestly don't plan on doing much until my warranty is up. Ran into a warranty issue with the tune on my Mazda and got screwed. Dumped 5K+ in parts and I just can't do that anymore. My mod bug came and went. I'm helping with my buddy's '11 STi for him so I'll get my fix through him.

iH4
    Chime in: I'm going into 42 this year, married and have 3 kids, a 7yr, a 6yr, and my youngest will turn 1yr next month. I'm on a 13' WRX Sedan - I can fit 2 boosters and baby car seat with base just perfect in back seat. The stroller however, will use up about 75-80% of trunk space. I'm on muffler deletes and Stage 2 - older kids love it! Wife, she's over it, lol. Before I stiffened up suspension, the ride was smooth and comfy - now its harsh and wouldn't take whole family on anything over an hour's drive due to comfort. The new 2015's are supposed to be roomier in rear and trunk. I'm really considering a 2015 STI but waiting to test drive it and weigh in the difference in price, performance and feel. Hope this info helps!
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

Quote Originally Posted by iH4 View Post
    Chime in: I'm going into 42 this year, married and have 3 kids, a 7yr, a 6yr, and my youngest will turn 1yr next month. I'm on a 13' WRX Sedan - I can fit 2 boosters and baby car seat with base just perfect in back seat. The stroller however, will use up about 75-80% of trunk space. I'm on muffler deletes and Stage 2 - older kids love it! Wife, she's over it, lol. Before I stiffened up suspension, the ride was smooth and comfy - now its harsh and wouldn't take whole family on anything over an hour's drive due to comfort. The new 2015's are supposed to be roomier in rear and trunk. I'm really considering a 2015 STI but waiting to test drive it and weigh in the difference in price, performance and feel. Hope this info helps!
    Awesome! I'm planning on buying a 15 WRX in a few months and have been going back and forth on if it will make a good secondary family vehicle. This answers answers that for me. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

iH4
    You're welcome - I expect the 2015 WRX/STi will ride and handle much better than 11-14 and if you're planning in using the car a lot more than me (2 times a week) to haul family around it'll be a nice ride to have.
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

Sorry bro. Didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. I just don't know much when it comes to the vehicles. I've been on my Mazda stuff for too long. Lost basis with a lot of vehicles. And I'm not saying the price tag isn't justified by any means. I have a group near me in Dayton, OH that swears by the STi. I'm saying I couldn't justify the price tag to my wife. She's not huge in to cars. She sees a $400/month car payment and loses her ****. It's limited me very much in my car search. I have 385 whp in my Mazda and that's all from deployment money. I have to earn all that I get because she hates that I waste money from our savings for anything. Only had to do it once and she didn't talk to me for a week. So I've been limited on a search. Sorry about the rant and the half of a novel there.
    If your wife is dictating the money you spend then you're doing it all wrong. If you can't afford to have a fun/tuner car and have a car you can drive to drive around your young baby with then you're probably not making the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    yea i had the option to buy a sti but all the upgrades it comes with IMO are for track purposes. and im not knocking the sti i think theyre awesome. And i know the trans are better in the sti by a long shot, but ii had a 6 speed in my last car and i couldnt stand shifting every 2 seconds.
    I had an 04 STi and I also didn't like the 6 speed's ratios. As you stated, you had to shift every 2 seconds. I remember having to shift into 5th gear going down the drag strip (which negatively affects track times). I'm not sure what the 6 speed in the new WRX will be like.
    Lots of cars have 6 speeds (Camaro SS for example) and the ratios are much wider and you don't have to shift all the time.
    Example Camaro SS, 6 speed (1LE gearing - 3:91 ratio)
    Top speed in each gear
    1st - 51 mph
    2nd - 77 mph
    3rd - 105 mph
    4th - 140 mph
    5th - 190 mph - if drag didn't affect top speed - actual top speed is around 172 mph (stock with speed limiter removed)
    6ths - 241 mph - again if drag didn't limit top speed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast