2015 WRX vs 2015 Focus ST - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX vs 2015 Focus ST within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by NoVASTi I watched the video, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't memorize everything in that ...

Quote Originally Posted by NoVASTi View Post
    I watched the video, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't memorize everything in that 12 minute vid. The test driver was being rhetorical, I think. We (and probably Motor Trend as well) know why the hatch was nixed. It doesn't always have to make sense to us consumers (how many times have we seen manufacturers screw up a product because they think they know what consumers want while ignoring consumer pleas?). They're trying to make money...it's a business. I'm pretty sure the hatch will return, once they've made profits on the new model. I can understand why the did what they did. They freed up the funding to go all-out. One of the two had to go, to free up extra funding. It just happened to be the hatch. Remember, both models had 50% of the sales, so either way, one fan group was gonna be pissed.

Additionally, it's not like there are a lot of competition regarding hatches out there...MS3, Focus ST, GTI...what else?

This car is going to sell...a lot. They're probably in for another record year of sales, as well.
    Yes, I fully understand what you and michaelwfox are saying. I just look around here.... and see easily 3 WRX hatches to every 1 sedan...and that may even be a understatement. But we are a small niche in the demographics of the US as a whole. So I'm sure the marketing folks at Subaru know what they are doing. And yes the MS3, Focus, etc. will pickup the fall off on performance hatches for those who want utility.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can't develop everything all at once...

I like the way Subaru focused more on the mechanics with a better engine for the WRX (not the STi yet), suspension, etc., and also the driver interface with supposedly more comfortable seats, more interior room (cu.ft.) and the Harman Kardon optional stereo system. This all adds to the driving experience, and I expect that the new engine is the starting point for their next development: finally upgrading the STi engine. If they continue to target specific developmental areas the line will continue to improve. I also do expect there to eventually be another hatchback version, but not until they feel they have managed to fully develop the platform they have just created.

Here's more testing (Randy Pobst drove both at Laguna Seca):

2014 Ford Focus ST vs. 2015 Subaru WRX Comparison - Motor Trend All Pages

It all depends on the ratios. The 6 speed shouldn't slow the car down unless they give the WRX the ridiculously close ratios like the STi (shifting into 5th gear down the 1/4 mile).
    The new WRX is also heavier (I believe by about 100 lbs or more). 100 lbs is a decent increase in weight for a 3200 - 3300 lb car only making 268 HP.

But that shouldn't change anyone mind in purchasing a WRX. It can be modded if you want to improve its performance.

BTW in the same mag they test the new Chevy SS (4 door sedan - 415hp) and the Dodge SRT8. The WRX's track times around Willow Springs were almost identical to the SRT8, but nearly 2 seconds slower than the Chevy SS. But the new Chevy SS is a $45K car making 415hp and it handles really well for a 3900 lb sedan.

What I don't like is the automatic WRX (CVT transmission) ran 14.5 in one of my magazines. They said it was a full second slower than the 2014 WRX they tested and a half second slower than the 6 speed, 2015 WRX they tested (which ran 14.0 in the 1/4 mile).

Interesting. I really like the ST. I have my 14' WRX but the wife and I are debating on getting her an ST.

Hmmm..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12