What one do you think is cooler/would you pick at this point in time

• WRX

Votes: 202 86.3%
  • Mustang

Votes: 32 13.7%

2015 WRX vs. 2015 Mustang

83K views 78 replies 41 participants last post by  Jtesterman14 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new member here! I was hunting down a thread for this topic, but couldn't find one anywhere on the internet.

Is it just me or is the 2015 WRX not the most beautiful WRX ever, while the Mustang looks better than ever. The headlights on both cars remind me of each other.

Otherwise, I'll state the obvious differences:
One is AWD and one is RWD, so if you live in the north, the WRX should come out ahead, but if you live in a warm climate it really gets close.
One has 2 doors, the other has 4, if you have a family the WRX comes out ahead, but it is still manageable to have the coupe with a family.
The Mustang will most likely end up being faster in a straight line, only by a few tenths of a second, even though it will have way more horsepower.
The Mustang is going to have too many trims to keep track of, some faster, some slower than the WRX.
A lot of WRX fans say that the WRX has plenty of affordable mods, while Mustang fans will say the exact opposite about the WRX when comparing the two.
The Mustang is going to sell a lot more because Americans are brainwashed into V8s and "having an American car", it appeals to everyone. The WRX has more of a boy racer stereotype surrounding it, and most, not all, of the WRX drivers end up being geeky males in comparison to the average Mustang drivers, which includes basically everyone.

I figured most Japanese car drivers are more open minded about comparison of cars, I couldn't even find a Mustang vs forum on the most popular Mustang forums.

What one do you think will end up coming out ahead? Personally, as of right now, I would pick a CVT WRX, because I don't want to go back to a manual transmission living in a city, and the fact that less people know what a WRX is in comparison to a Mustang, it's always cool to explain your car to average people that are interested. I think I would even pick a Limited BRZ over the Mustang because of that reason.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just read the title because I'm in a hurry. I would choose WRX because it matches my lifestyle better. I need the extra doors, trunk room, awd, utility. The WRX is for a niche market that likes outdoor activities and motorsports. It's a driver's car and a utility vehicle for outdoor enthusiasts. It will take me too school during the week, camping in the fall, skiiing in the winter, biking in the spring and summer, and will carry all my friends and their gear as well. And when I'm not doing those two things I can take it to autX or rallyX and race it. The end.

#4 ·
I previously owned a 2010 GT500 and loved that car. However, the 5.0 is a vastly different car so, WRX vs 5.0 I would go with the WRX. And now the reasons! The 5.0 is faster and does handle well HOWEVER...it is limited to that performance in dry and warm weather. As soon as the roads cool or it rains/snows...that car suddenly becomes stressful to drive. Now, the WRX is slower however, the handling is there hot/cold/wet/dry and that is what wins it for me personally. Also, the other big reason is the size (see what I did there ha ha) The 5.0 is a very large and heavy car and the IRS will help however, when the weight is felt, the car does tend to translate that directly to the driver.

In the end, the are both great cars. I do like the new WRX slightly more than the new Ford in terms of looks. The new WRX Sti does look better than I thought it would however, given the choice I would still go with the '14 model.

These are simply my thoughts/opinions...

#12 ·
I think Chris nailed it.

I drove a 4 cylinder Mustang and two Trans Ams in Northern Virginia. They were all terrible in the snow/ice and even when it gets super cold. If you get the WRX and some winter tires, you won't have to worry about the weather. Just go.

I think the '14 WRX looks better than the '15 WRX.

Hit up our friend Clayton [rexxx0486] and get in a '14! :)

#5 ·
"Which one will come out ahead" is the totally subjective. Different people value different things. You're almost comparing apples to oranges as the platforms are very very different.

It really is an individual choice unique to the person. Both are good in their own ways but obviously folks on a wrx site will be likely to have already chosen the wrx and to value the stronger aspects of the wrx more heavily... But we are generally enthusiasts first here.

I would not be so quick to dismiss AWD as having little advantage outside of the north/colder climate. It still rains quite regularly in most parts of the country ...and in the rain, the additionally horsepower of the rwd mustang will be practically useless, while the WRX is still quite fun to drive.. and not just in straight lines.

If you mostly want to make monster power, the mustang and it's parts (being so much more ubiquitous in the US) are the easier/cheaper way to go.

If you're trying to figure out which one is "cooler" well I don't think you are going to find conclusive information here.

#8 ·
Well personally I'd take a strong look at the 2.3T Mustang if I were in the market. I'd drive that versus the WRX and see.

But price should also be a consideration. While the WRX and V6 Mustang start at around $26k they both quickly baloon from there. Its not hard to make a $30,000 WRX anymore which seems crazy to me. The 2.3T Mustang is rumored to be around a $1500 up charge over base, and Ford is notorious for having a ton of option levels.

I'd imagine a 2.3T Mustang nicely equipped to be just shy of $30,000. The GT with the 5.0L will be around $35,000.

So I'd compare a WRX and a 2.3T Mustang and an STI and a 5.0 Mustang. That would be closer.

For my money since there is not a hatch option, I'd probably pic the 2.3T Mustang, or neither and get the Fiesta ST....oh wait. :)

Oh and no I don't think the 2015 WRX is the best looking ever. I still love the GD's and GG's.

#10 ·
I love my '13 GR, unfortunately, I think they are obsolete. At least for 2015 Wrx/STi models. For me, it was a choice between a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0, Camaro SS, or my STi. Drag and straight lines, both Camaro and Mustang pulled, but I love the AWD in my STi, especially when it is wet outside. Just giving you MHO.. I had a Mustang before, thing was a POS. Although I will say I am a huge fan of the 2003 SVT cobra :D
But I still love my Subaru!

#11 ·
I am glad you made this forum. I have been trying to decide which to get and since I live in VA the Wrx would be better when it rains and visiting family in PA. The mustang would be great because I love the sound and power of flooring a car and having the tires spin. I am young and still think its all about engine size but we will see when they release both cars. My friend has a tastfully modded 14' WRX and I do enjoy riding with him while he flies around corners with no problem or worries but If I get a 15' WRX it makes me look like I just wanted to one up him.

#13 ·
i drove a seriously modded camaro since 1995. every day, all day, all weather. let me tell you how glad i am for better than 8/15mpg. winter driving without looking thru the passenger window all the time(got good at drifting though ;p) and the upkeep for a 40 year old engine, strong as was. maybe a newer car would have been different but no thanks. the new camaros have little to no usable visibility for daily driving. mustangs are much better(my neighbor took me for a ride in his 13 KR. WOW) and the challenger is really nice to drive as a DD. all are big, heavy detroit cars again Thank God. performance wise, it wouldnt matter to me if they cant put it down in ^%$#@ weather because DD. actually, i was considering a v6 challenger right before i bought my bug eye last year. plenty of power, plenty of car/tire/handling.breaking/looks. no hatch. i am so glad i got a wagonX. it has already paid for its self in so many ways.

so yea, im a little sad no more v8 lurking in the garage. until i take the wrx out.

#15 ·
Hasn't been said, yet?
They're enthusiast cars. You know nothing 'til you drive them and compare that experience. Is the engine fun? How does the car feel in transition? Is it confidence-inspiring through corners?
Measure that against your needs for lifestyle, gas mileage, etc.

I'm assuming that you're buying it for yourself, as opposed to buying it to impress others.
Of course, another way of looking at it is that they are both going to be first year cars for their respective generation of Mustang and WRX. Does Ford have a good track record with 1st year Mustangs?
I took a chance with the first year of the BRZ...so far, so good.

#18 ·
Neither.

#22 ·
If I live in a warm climate where also it practically never rains, I would probably go for a mustang.

#23 ·
^lol Ben.

I can't turn around up here without seeing another mustang. Anything from daily drivers to my neibors 2013 KR. The new mustangs probably saved ford from going belly up and they are nice cars!

I bought a wrx.

#28 ·
Which mustang? There are different engine options you know. I for one wouldn't waste my time with a mustang unless it was a GT500. To me that's the only mustang that's worth a crap. A V6 mustang makes me laugh and the base V8 is a joke. Why waste time and money trying to make more power just to attempt to get that power to hook onto the pavement. Unless your getting a GT500 then don't waste your time with a mustang. The only reason they still sell is due to nostalgia anyway.

#31 · (Edited)
Its a joke because of the way they set the car up not because of the engine. It needs better gearing in the rear end and a better trans in my opinion. I've seen them dyno as low at 330whp and as high as 370whp at the shop i used to take my power wagon to. So depending on what gear set up you get from the dealer depends on how good of a car you'll really get with the mustang and sadly they still don't offer that wide of a variety of options.

I would say 90% of the cars coming off the floor have the low gears so they can sell the "it gets good gas mileage" bit. Very few customers come in and really know what they are getting, which means they typically get a 5.0 that is just about useless unless they like making noise.

If you decide to get a mustang make sure you get the track package and a good gear ratio. Don't get shafted with street gears unless you want all noise and no go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.