2015 WRX vs. 2015 Mustang - Page 3

View Poll Results: What one do you think is cooler/would you pick at this point in time

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • WRX

201 86.27%
  • Mustang

32 13.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX vs. 2015 Mustang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Its a joke because of the way they set the car up not because of the engine. It needs better ...

Its a joke because of the way they set the car up not because of the engine. It needs better gearing in the rear end and a better trans in my opinion. I've seen them dyno as low at 330whp and as high as 370whp at the shop i used to take my power wagon to. So depending on what gear set up you get from the dealer depends on how good of a car you'll really get with the mustang and sadly they still don't offer that wide of a variety of options.

I would say 90% of the cars coming off the floor have the low gears so they can sell the "it gets good gas mileage" bit. Very few customers come in and really know what they are getting, which means they typically get a 5.0 that is just about useless unless they like making noise.

If you decide to get a mustang make sure you get the track package and a good gear ratio. Don't get shafted with street gears unless you want all noise and no go.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 04-27-2014 at 12:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Street supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Just went to the page to build a Mustang GT. They make it pretty much impossible to order the gears youll want to have.

2014 Ford Mustang GT | The 2014 Ford Mustang GT | Ford.com

Comes with weak 3.31s but the better gears are optional. Make sure you get the 3.73s or you basically just buying a mustang for the looks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dbl post

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    Just went to the page to build a Mustang GT. They make it pretty much impossible to order the gears youll want to have.

2014 Ford Mustang GT | The 2014 Ford Mustang GT | Ford.com

Comes with weak 3.31s but the better gears are optional. Make sure you get the 3.73s or you basically just buying a mustang for the looks.

This is still the current/old model though. From what I've heard, this new one might be a big leap forward. Or it could be the usual hype. We'll see. But I'm definitely interested.

Every mustang has always had gearing options from the factory and most dealers sell the stock ratio unless you order the car with better gears.

Im pretty sure the 2015 will be badass but it will still have 3 gear options just like it had in the past.

If they had it come with 4:10s then that would be sick, yet you would drink gas like crazy

I live in Colorado and drive to the mountains every weekend in the winter to go skiing, so not much of a competition in my case.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Hey guys!

I really love the comments to this thread so far, including the ones that are clearly biased one way or the other. It just shows that both of these machines are able to inspire strong emotional responses among their respective owners, and that alone should compel a shopper to understand that no matter which he chooses, he's not just buying a car -- he's joining a community.

My experience, as both an STi and Mustang owner, is that those communities are pretty different, but that should come as a shock to no one. The STi is a high(ish) tech turbo import with AWD and *amazing* grip, traction, and confidence. This is a car that's going to be popular with a younger, cockier crowd who are going to drive the car like they've got something to prove, and the fact is, they kind of do. American V8 muscle is well established in the performance world; the import crowd will always have that somewhat contrarian, cockier attitude, and there's nothing wrong with that. The car itself bows to no one when it comes to usable power, traction, confidence, balance, and precision. The problem is that it doesn't always get the respect that it deserves because few enthusiasts have had the singular experience of having driven one. It cannot be described.

Likewise, the American Muscle crowd will always be a more brutish, macho, "F that P import crap" crowd. They've got heritage on their side, but stereotypically lack precision, grace, skill, etc. The import crowd mocks them for their simplicity, but often admires the brutal power their high-displacement machines can create. American Muscle has that cross-plane firing order sound on their side, as well as 5 or 6 decades of national heritage to boast as their tradition, though their machines typically lack "practical" performance in the context of roads with changing turn radii, elevation, etc. They'll never have the true command of the course that an STi offers, but the inspiring sound and raw, brutal output from their high displacement will keep them relevant for generations to come.

This is at the heart of the matter when considering the STi and the Mustang GT. The STi is an absolute surgeon -- the ability of even the most novice drive to pilot it exceptionally well is testimony. The STi is a "fast" car by any typical passenger car standard, and a delight to drive, providing the driver with a real connection with the road or course, and the grip through aggressive turning is both exceptional and exhilarating. It's truly an enthusiast's instrument, though it does have a few drawbacks. Fuel stumble is commonly reported, as well as odd stuttering behavior from the aging EJ257. Also, the engine leaves a lot to be desired in the low revs. Once it's on boil, though, you're in for a treat as the 17+ pounds of stock boost twist the absolute crap out of a STRONG close-ratio AWD system. I know the reports don't claim that much boost, but my bone stock '15 STi regularly puts up 17.5 psi. The car will respond as quickly as you can think, and has ZERO peers when it comes to shredding traffic on the road. It's wonderfully usable power and torque, inspiring routine confidence that might border on suicidal from lesser platforms.

And along came a pony.

The '17 Mustang GT, especially with the performance package, is an absolute terrorist. The car is brutally, unapologetically powerful, announcing its presence to all bystanders with that tell-tale rumble that's been striking fear in the hearts of smaller engines for several generations now. But all of that testosterone comes at a comparative expense -- even the current generation Mustang GT has no answer for the laser precision of the STi, with comparatively embarrassing body roll and somewhat absent throttle response below 3500 rpm. A stylish, satisfying vehicle with much more comfort for driver and passenger and far less quirky electronics, the GT is easier to live with day-to-day and commands recognition and inspires envy when viewed out on the town, despite its somewhat modest capability in practical application when compared to its import rival. For example, the STi's stereo is absolute poop, and if you're a Siruis XM subscriber, I hope you like having your artists and song titles cut to 10 characters; the FORD (that's right, Ford) has no such limitations. Look -- as soon as a Japanese import is losing the electronics column to Blue Oval, something is WRONG. Yet, that's the case. Even my Jeep Wrangler's stereo knows better than to cut the artist and track to just 10 characters. Everyone everywhere can recognize the GT's familiar fastback silhouette, whereas the large goofy wing on the STi make it look like any other boy-racer's Vin Diesel fantasy. The GT will never suffer from this sort of high school fantasy reputation, being the latest heir to a legacy of auto enthusiasm.

So for a roughly comparable price-point, both of these cars have plenty to offer, and offset each other in many categories. The GT is unbeatable for presence and commanding respect in all but the most recent high school graduate, whereas the STi's stability and confidence on any road make it a true drivers' choice. Mustang has body roll, huge power, recognition, better driver experience, and reduced usability and passenger experience. STi has less raw power, increased usability and passenger experience, more usable cargo space, less upgrade potential, and absolutely zero peers when it comes to driving well on any surface and any course. One is a scalpel, the other, a sledge hammer. Both tools have their places.

Both are wonderfully competent cars in their respective rights, but it's for the driver to decide which vehicle's strengths they value more. It's really not an easy decision, as both do different things incredibly well. The Internet is full of owners who sold one to buy the other, then somewhat regretted it and somewhat didn't.

Personally, I'm glad the market offers both.

Accidentally double-post. As apology, I give you weird Japanese game show videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWN-lYLg8hI

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar
    Hehheh . . . picking up the conversation where it was left off . . . two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
    Hey guys!

The '17 Mustang GT, especially with the performance package, is an absolute terrorist. ....

It's really not an easy decision...
    I couldn't find the AWD option for the Moosedung. Oh wait, that would be the Hocus Pocus it's a 350 HP AWD Focus.

I am guessing, BICBW, that for most people on this forum it was a really easy decision to not buy a 2wd Mustang.

I bought a 2015 Guard green Mustang when they first came out. I dont know what i was thinking at the time. It was the only Mustang i ever owned. Long story short my daughter who was 5 years old at the time could not fit comfortably in the back seat thats how usless the back seat is. Its not a good car for people who have kids. 30 days later i traded it for my Challenger Scat Pack. The STI is an amazing car for someone who has kids, lives where it snows or rains a lot. The STI being lighter and AWD makes up for the extra power of the Mustang. And as said the STI is a precision tool cutting in and out of turns and a Ralley racing Champion. Mustang pretty much a 1 trick Pony. A straight line Sally. Nothing wronge with that but its apple's to oranges. . My only wish is i would love to find a mod friendly Subaru dealer. Because the STI can be made into a monster!!!

I'll wade in for a minute. The WRX is what it is. Lots of practicality and very sporty nature. The WRX offers a great combination of performance, value and practical day to day use. Rain, snow (what ever the He!! that is??) or sunshine, the WRX is a nice car to have.

The Mustang trend to be front heavy and even with the PP (Performance Pack) handles a bit softer with heavy understeer. Without the PP, you can have everything from slushy handling to heat soak issues. Still with 435HP, when you light the fuse, it will give you a good ride.

What was not mentioned or at least not very much is the new Gen6 Camaro. Now there are some dollars difference and frankly the target of the SS2SS is the BMW M4, Audi S5 and MB C43AMG. If you are looking at STI dollars and live in a warm, sunny climate or can have a foul weather driver, then the Camaro SS becomes viable. The 5.0 Coyote is a fine mill in the Mustang. However, the LT1 is a monster capable of beating BMW M4s head to head.

Last edited by JaguarXF; 09-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    2016 Camaro SS - 2SS | 6M | MRC | NPP
    2015 Jaguar XF Sport
    2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost
    2011 Honda Ridgeline
    Rescue Dog Transport - We Drive the Get Away Vehicles

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    +1 on the Gen6 Camaro.

Alpha platform + LT1.... winner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Street supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Now chock-full of more subforums! |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Administrator ...De Rerum Natura TheJ's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    +1 on the Gen6 Camaro.

Alpha platform + LT1.... winner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    +1

I am certainly a fan of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -The J 𒂼𒄄
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.