2011 wrx hatch vs BMW X1 xdrive35i
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx hatch vs BMW X1 xdrive35i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since subaru was dumb enough not to continue the hatchback, I'm forced to find something else. I came across the ...

2011 wrx hatch vs BMW X1 xdrive35i

Since subaru was dumb enough not to continue the hatchback, I'm forced to find something else. I came across the bmw X1. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. Automatic only, paddle shifters. You can pick one up slightly used for 36 K. Has any wrx owners driven this car? How does it compare? What are your thoughts? To me it looks like it would be a blast to drive with more utility. I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet. Or should I wait for a 2015 Golf R..300 hp? Thanks.
    Last edited by Poby; 01-06-2014 at 06:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    X1, the sport utility? Comparing to a WRX or a Golf R? Kindof apples and dumptrucks, at first glance, though I haven't driven one. Are a hatch and a fast 0-60 time your main criteria?
    BMW builds fine cars, but for my enthusiast vehicle I'd never consider one of their SUV's.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I love the look of the Golf R personally. Loved my GTI except it was broke every other week after 60k miles.

I am confused. Are you buying now? Because you can still find brand new WRX hatches out there and should be able to a few more months.

Otherwise there is the new GTI coming out and the Focus ST which is a pretty loaded hot hatch for about $22-25K depending on options.

Small sized SUV's are not going to give you the driving dynamics of any of the above cars IMHO.

I Support ClubWRX
    Frankly, I'd keep the 2011 WRX over any of the cars that have been mentioned. Want 300hp? Stage 2 is your friend.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I pretty much use my 2011 wrx hatch like its an SUV. I ski and mountain bike often, and a sedan just doesn't cut it. An all wheel drive vehicle is a must for me. On my wrx, I run summer tires and snow tires. I only buy or lease cars with warranty, so reliabilty is not much of a concern for me. My requirements for a new car are a hatch, all wheel drive and fun to drive. The BMW X1 is pretty much a hatchback with ground clearance, its not much bigger then my wrx. The m sport comes with 19 inch wheels and performance run flat tires, and stiffer suspension. The folks on the bmw forums were comparing the size of the wrx and the bmw x1 not much different. For us hatch lovers out there, it might be a car worth considering. But if it drives like a dump truck, I might have to pass. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had driven one. It might save me a trip to the dealership. I think the focus st is ugly, and its a Ford, and no all wheel drive. The new golf r that is supposed to get here will have all wheel drive, sounds like its going to be expensive. I guess I could keep my wrx and tune it or buy a 2014 sti hatch, I kind of want to try something different. Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by Poby; 01-06-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Give one a test drive. Reviews seem pretty favorable, and you can usually get decent leases on a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    I love the look of the Golf R personally. Loved my GTI except it was broke every other week after 60k miles.
    BMW is the same way, great until 60K miles then they start to fall apart especially the electrical systems.
    Just look at how many BMWs run around with mismatched tail lights as a start! My wife and I had M3s and even with care we ended up selling them at the 60K mark.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    BMW is the same way, great until 60K miles then they start to fall apart especially the electrical systems.
    Just look at how many BMWs run around with mismatched tail lights as a start! My wife and I had M3s and even with care we ended up selling them at the 60K mark.
    That's so wrong....... I personally know of four 92-99 M3's locally, one I own, two a very close friend owns that I help do maintenance on, and another guy I meet up with at local cars and coffee events, all have 100k miles or more, none have those issues.

BMW's have unique maintenance items like every other car and if you aren't incapable or unwilling to do your own maintenance they aren't really expensive to maintain and own. The rewards far far outweigh the sacrifice.

I own both a WRX and a M3 and love both. Two very different cars with unique needs. Guess which one already had an engine replaced and which one has perfect compression and still looks like it did 10 years ago? Yeah, the BMW. It's will flat out outrun and out handle the WRX too and that's on a fresh STI bottom end hybrid build with upgrades and fresh Kumho tires. But when weather is bad, forget about it, the WRX beats the M3 hands down.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hybridEJ; 02-03-2014 at 09:00 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, being fair, most people don't want to maintain their own cars, these days. (I do my own, but I'm off the bell curve on a lot things). For normal people, the maintenance on a BMW will simply be a lot more.
    All that said, I love M3's. It was between a used M3 and a new WRX when I bought in 2002, and between a used Cayman S or a BRZ when I bought last year. I'll go German once my kids are safely into (or through) college.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Yeah. It's according to what you put into it. If you own one and are going to just drive it, change the oil, and pay someone else to fix everything, prepare to drain the bank account. Me personally, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than turning wrenches on my car replacing old components and keeping it tip top.

My wife and I both had M3 ('96) and each one started to have issues after around 60k miles. We kept up with the maintenance and nether were beaten. We also belonged to a club and several members had issues as well. Of course, there are some that seem to hold up however, two different BMW mechanics mentioned that BMWs do not tend to hold up well.

Again, there are some that do but having owned two
    M3s I will never buy another BMW again.

Just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridEJ View Post
    That's so wrong....... I personally know of four 92-99 M3's locally, one I own, two a very close friend owns that I help do maintenance on, and another guy I meet up with at local cars and coffee events, all have 100k miles or more, none have those issues.

BMW's have unique maintenance items like every other car and if you aren't incapable or unwilling to do your own maintenance they aren't really expensive to maintain and own. The rewards far far outweigh the sacrifice.

I own both a WRX and a M3 and love both. Two very different cars with unique needs. Guess which one already had an engine replaced and which one has perfect compression and still looks like it did 10 years ago? Yeah, the BMW. It's will flat out outrun and out handle the WRX too and that's on a fresh STI bottom end hybrid build with upgrades and fresh Kumho tires. But when weather is bad, forget about it, the WRX beats the M3 hands down.

Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridEJ View Post
    Me personally, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than turning wrenches on my car replacing old components and keeping it tip top.
    Preach it, brother! I love a sunny afternoon with music playing, the hood up, and a tumbler of Scotch hidden in the garage, somewhere. Though, with my recent job change, I'm not sure I have the time to do deeper repairs, any more. Fortunately nothing major has broken in the last little while..
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I test drove the X1 the other day. It was quick for an suv or sav, but boring as hell compared to my wrx. Didn't really come close on its handling. I guess I was hopefull that somebody could engineer an SUV that handled like a car and still be under 40000. I'll keep my wrx hatch for at least 30000 more miles until there is a worthy replacement.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My wife wanted an X1 xdrive... I finally got her off the kick.

Ugly and very basic interior IMO for the price of the car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.