WRX vs. Camaro SS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Camaro SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off I will begin by saying I really like Subies. I previously owned a stage 4 WRX and a ...

WRX vs. Camaro SS

First off I will begin by saying I really like Subies. I previously owned a stage 4 WRX and a stage 2 STi.
    I currently drive a 2010 Camaro SS, L99 automatic. I have bolt on mods (intake, full exhaust, 3200 stall converter, 18" Forgestar wheels, drag radials). My car ran 12.10 @ 114 mph back when It was running 20" wheels (12 lbs heavier per wheel than my current setup). So my car should pull high 11s @ 115 mph or so with its current bolt ons setup.

Today a WRX pulled along side of me going about 15 mph rolling away from a red light. He all the sudden nailed the gas, so I did the same. My traction control on and my car instantly bogged and refused to downshift because of the Torque management/traction control kicking in. So the WRX actually got about 1/2-1 car in front of me for a couple seconds, because my transmission was stuck in 2nd gear going 15/20 mph (I should have been in 1st gear up to 37 mph or so).
    But I decided just stay with it because I knew my power would eventually take over (my car traps 115 mph in good air).
    As expected, as the speeds increased (60+ mph) I started pulling away from him. Once I got a few cars in front of him (80-90 mph), I let off.

We looked over and waved to acknowlege a fun encounter. I was a little bummed because he didn't get to see my car perform at its best, but that's racing.
    I would have pulled him hard from start to finish if I had been in the right gear. My car also 60' in the 1.6x range (1.7x at the worst) which is really good for a bolt ons Camaro SS.

I've been seeing more WRX and STis in my area lately. I'm still a big fan of WRXs/STis. I've been thinking about getting a WRX or STi for a daily driver and keeking my Camaro as a weekend driver/track car. I just wish the new WRX coming out was a little more aggressive looking.

Pic of my Camaro SS.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 12-19-2013 at 01:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the look to the wheel combo with that sidewall. Very nice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX View Post
    I would have pulled him hard from start to finish...
    During a race? That sounds.... distracting

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I like the look to the wheel combo with that sidewall. Very nice.
    +1

Looks good with meaty sidewalls.

Come on back to the WRX world...nothing wrong with having some muscle and import AWD power at the same time. I plan on doing the same at some point in my life.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I really like those wheels, too. Great looking ride. I don't think anyone can argue those Camaros sound amazing with a full exhaust.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Nice car

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    +1

Looks good with meaty sidewalls.

Come on back to the WRX world...nothing wrong with having some muscle and import AWD power at the same time. I plan on doing the same at some point in my life.
    +2, never liked skinny tires. Even my own tires I wish were beefier.

First off I will begin by saying I really like Subies. I previously owned a stage 4 WRX and a stage 2 STi...
    OMG there's a stage 4?!? I'm still at stage 0.

Nice car. I got to drive my Dad's '69 SS when I was 18 (eons ago). Hurst 4-speed, console gauges, huge tach on the dash, man I loved that car. Loved it to DEATH. Now it sits in my uncle's barn waiting on a 454 and will probably never see the light of day again.
    2013 WRX Premium Hatch DGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Agreed. My "summer" car is a 2002 Mustang GT with a Kenne Bell twinscrew supercharger. It's not as much of a beast today as it was a decade ago but it's pretty quick and a blast to drive. It's pretty basic and stoneage compared to my 10 STi daily but I really love them both, for different reasons.

No need to hate on one or the other. These days, any car powered by gasoline with a gearbox I actually row myself should be considered a treasure because in a few short years, cars like the Mustang and even the STi as we know it now will cease to exist...

I Support ClubWRX
    You should post a sound clip of the exhaust
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Thanks guys. My wheels are Forgestars 18x9.0 front and 18x10.0 back. I run 305/45/18 drag radials in the rear. The wheels weigh 20 lbs (stock 20" wheels weigh 32/34 lbs) so the Forgestars definitely helps performance.
    Some Camaro guys (a lot of them) are into putting 22" wheels on their Camaros (its the popular trend). It might give the car bling bling looks, but it just makes the car slow. I even see guys show up at the track with 22" wheels on their Camaros, and then the wonder why their car runs so slow?

I still feel like I'm part of the Suby family.
    I can't tell you how many times I stood up for the Subarus at the track. Some Chevy/Ford V8 guys think they are superior no matter what.
    One day when I was at the track in my WRX (turbo swap+ supporting mods), a bunch of guys driving Camaros were making rude comments while waiting in the staging lanes saying stuff like "people put mods on those WRX's, but they're still slow."
    I had the pleasure of lining up next to a couple of them and beat them both by about 5-6 car lengths. After that they just looked over at me/my WRX with the WTH just happened look on their faces. A lesson was taught that day.

All cars can be made fast, so don't assume anything.

I'm intersted to seeing the next generation of WRX Sti. I've seen some "spy" photos but that's about it. But for the money, the WRX might be the better choice. A few basic mods, and the WRX is pretty darn fast.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 12-20-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks guys. My wheels are Forgestars 18x9.0 front and 18x10.0 back. I run 305/45/18 drag radials in the rear. The wheels weigh 20 lbs (stock 20" wheels weigh 32/34 lbs) so the Forgestars definitely helps performance.
    Some Camaro guys (a lot of them) are into putting 22" wheels on their Camaros (its the popular trend). It might give the car bling bling looks, but it just makes the car slow. I even see guys show up at the track with 22" wheels on their Camaros, and then the wonder why their car runs so slow?

I still feel like I'm part of the Suby family.
    I can't tell you how many times I stood up for the Subarus at the track. Some Chevy/Ford V8 guys think they are superior no matter what.
    One day when I was at the track in my WRX (turbo swap+ supporting mods), a bunch of guys driving Camaros were making rude comments while waiting in the staging lanes saying stuff like "people put mods on those WRX's, but they're still slow."
    I had the pleasure of lining up next to a couple of them and beat them both by about 5-6 car lengths. After that they just looked over at me/my WRX with the WTH just happened look on their faces. A lesson was taught that day.

All cars can be made fast, so don't assume anything.

I'm intersted to seeing the next generation of WRX Sti. I've seen some "spy" photos but that's about it. But for the money, the WRX might be the better choice. A few basic mods, and the WRX is pretty darn fast.
    Yeah I smoked a few Mustangs and Camaros in my first STI after I had some work done...those V8s though only had some exhaust/intake mods though. Had they had any bit more work and actual drag radials, I'd have been toast once they hooked up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Before I was in the market for a car I was loving this Camaro body style. And still do! Really wanted one too but then my little Toyota Wagon was destroyed and the practicality&fun of the WRX was a no-brainer.

Great looking car though. Seems such a classic look to me. And I agree with above posters: those beefy sidewalls look gooood.

I'd love to have a 5.0 or an SS. They just don't make much sense up here. Likewise if I lived in Florida AWD wouldn't be something I'd look for...

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a sharp car..I love that Chevy went back to the 1st gen shape when they brought the Camaro back.
    A lot of people buy WRX's thinking that they're getting a drag racer, because of the AWD-derived quarter mile times...but a V8 is a V8.
    If I have a complaint about the current crop of muscle cars that are interesting to me (5.0, SS, Challenger), it's that they are just a little too heavy. If they had made it weigh 3150ish pounds (like a '69 V8 did), and gone for super-sharp handling, I would have looked very hard at them this year, when I bought a car.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast