Subaru WRX Forum banner

Keep getting my ass kicked by this Buick

20K views 111 replies 35 participants last post by  Mf645 
#1 ·
My car is fast 300 hp...great tune... But I keep getting my ass kicked bad by this stinking old black buick with turbo. Through the grape vine somebody told me it was running methonal and big boost, any suggestions on what I might need to reel him in??? Damn that car fast!

#3 ·
What is it going to take to beat this guy? Damnit!

Well long story short... I got a vf34 STI and I'm tired of getting raped by this Turbo Buick. I have 300 horses and it's a joke when he leaves me sitting like I'm having a pic nic! I heard he was running 28 pounds of boost and methonal.
What's it gonna take to beat this!

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

#4 ·
Built motor, fuel system, Ultimate Racing twinscroll kit, GTX35r (or larger, depending on what's done to the Grand National), supporting mods, six speed swap, rear diff swap, DSS axles and srive shaft.. run e85 or meth. Probably would be good to lighten the car by about 300-500lbs. too.

#6 ·
Fully built motor and large turbo like a 35R or 40R and all the supporting mods. I'm no tuner or engine builder, but I can tell you it will likely be a lot of work and expensive. Nevertheless it would be a sweet project. What are his quarter mile times? You'd want to look at upgrading suspension and tires as well. Gearbox too, depending on what you already have.

#15 ·
#21 ·
My friend ran several 9.9s with a GTX3582r and 1.06 A/R divided turbine housing on a stock sleeved block. However, he had to install Darton sleeves after about a year, the cylinder walls cracked. At the time he was using the same short block that I'm running. Stock crank, Pauter X-Beam rods, custom Arias pistons.. I believe he had Kelford 280s in the heads (fully built valve train, and ported).

If you know what you're doing about $30,000 should be enough to get you there.. then all you have to do is drive it.

#22 ·
I'm sorry, is this thread a joke? Or is this a real-life version of this terrible movie:

Born to Race (Video 2011) - IMDb

I always thought it was stupid that the dad sold his Buick GN to fund a Subaru... talk about wrong priorities!

Long story short, if you want to beat this guy at the strip, you're MUCH better off with a 5.0 Mustang and bolt ons. A tiny 4-cylinder is just not going to get you there on a dollar.

#26 ·
now see...i did a 350hp gnx build in college. and it didnt look anything like that under hood. you might have to consider changing venues and using the surface of the racing area to your advantage. in other words..cheat. kinda. pick a spot better suited to your awd and less towards his slick sporting rear wheel drive.

that or go bracket racing and learn to peg your et's to the hundredth and just plain out skill him. hp matters soo much less, if you run to fast/slow from your et...you loose. get closest to it and win! cause just from that picture id say he has beaten more than his fair share of cars, import or no.

#27 ·
It's interesting you spoke about bracket racing, my Dad was big on that back in the sixties,... After doing some homework...I've came to the conclusion that I don't have the mucho denero to spend for what it's gonna take to out run this car on the straight, however I will still enjoy my moddest little AWD.

#28 ·
After doing some homework , what it would take to make my car stupid fast may be out of my league... I want to keep it reliable for the most part, but with the replies I have read and the amount of money to do this brought me to a quick reality check. I never knew much about that Buick but I now have a new found respect for them. Pretty cool for an older car...it's like the domestic version of a single turbo Supra.

#29 ·
You must be very young if you didn't know about the Grand National and other Turbo Buick variants. Turbo Buicks were the iconic "budget speed" cars of the 1980s.

Funny you've compared the Supra to the GN. That's a comparison between one of the most overrated cars of all time (Supra) to one of the most underrated cars of all time (GN). To me, given a choice between owning the Toyota or owning the Buick, I would chose the Buick any day. Of course, I'd own neither as my primary car :D

#31 ·
I agree the Supra is over rated. Poor chassis choices -- from stretched Celica initially to 90s Japanese tech box -- and poor aesthetics -- from stretched Celica to chest wig chariot -- but the prices were high due to magazine hype and the admittedly galant efforts of teachers; despite their inability to discern a good car from a bad car, Supra fans could nonetheless generally read.

Toyota, to be fair, did make a worse car: the Corolla GTS.

The Buick makes me wonder if Eddie Money is still releasing music on cassette tapes.

#32 ·
Well I always thought Supra wasn't over rated, seems like I never see them lose, especially on top end...but I'm just getting into the car seen so maybe I'm misinformed. I looked up the Buick and it's like a collectors car...not cheap either... Considering it's like 27 years old... Pretty impressive technology for its day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.