Keep getting my ass kicked by this Buick - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Keep getting my ass kicked by this Buick within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Jbeckforever I love me a clean Grand National. Ultimate sleeper car because honestly not alot of people ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    I love me a clean Grand National. Ultimate sleeper car because honestly not alot of people know about them, especially the new generation of car enthusiasts. They look heavy, cumbersome, and brutish but they can be made stupid fast.

My friend was in his WRX messing with people, hes kind of a stupid kid. Anyway, we were on state street which is a common "streetdrag" street (I DO NOT support "street racing" btw, and my friend knows it and will do it just to piss me off sometimes). Anway, he had beaten a few Civics and thought he was hot stuff. We pulled up next to a black GN with tinted windows. He was like "lets smoke this grandpa car!" I sat there quietly smiling, because I knew very well that it was not in fact a grandpa car.

So light goes green, my friend stomps on it, and I don't even think the GN noticed us until we took off like that, and then the guy was like "oh no you dont" because suddenly our ears are popping from the sound of a wide open turbo V6 and the guy flies by like we were standing still. My friend yells WHOALY SH-! and I'm just sitting there laughing.
    Bro...cool story.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah haha, not sure how much I contributed to this thread. I will say though, the Supra is still a beast of a platform, and I love the tail lights on those cars. Just too bad people over-hype it, making it out to be the end all of "tuner rocketz!".

Moral of the story, there are cheaper ways to do the 1/4 mile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    So light goes green, my friend stomps on it, and I don't even think the GN noticed us until we took off like that, and then the guy was like "oh no you dont" because suddenly our ears are popping from the sound of a wide open turbo V6 and the guy flies by like we were standing still. My friend yells WHOALY SH-! and I'm just sitting there laughing.
    Granny shifting... not double clutching like you should...
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Never really fell for the "OMGSUPRA!!1!" thing. I respect that massive power could be made with bolt-on mods, but beyond that, I guess I would have wished for the MKIV to be a lighter, more sportscar-like creature. 3400 lbs, I think, by the time you got to the twin-turbo variant. For perspective, that's the same weight as the big 'ole Buick GN from the mid-'80's.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    For perspective, that's the same weight as the big 'ole Buick GN from the mid-'80's.

..or a STi.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ..or a STi.
    True story.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Are they actually over 3400? Wow. Somehow seems a little more acceptable for a sedan.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I had an 03 cobra convertable and it weighed in at 4200! I miss that thing...it was a 32 valve supercharged scream machine!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatepoisonivy View Post
    I had an 03 cobra convertable and it weighed in at 4200! I miss that thing...it was a 32 valve supercharged scream machine!
    Unless you weigh in at 500lbs or have 500lbs of luggage, I don't see where you are getting your numbers.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Your right the cobra was still around 3700, I had it confused with my later SRT8 Charger, that I know weighed in heavy...

I Support ClubWRX
    Supra motors have been implanted into many a fine drag car... usually in a tube chassis and competing against other imports.

I was always an RX7 fan during the Supra's sale period. Of course, Wankels have a nasty tendency to blow up at 14k revs.

GN's were always a favorite of mine. I desperately wanted to steal the powerplant from one and implant it into a S-10.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Are they actually over 3400? Wow. Somehow seems a little more acceptable for a sedan.
    With an all wheel drive system and modern safety features I'd say that's not too bad. Lighter than lots of other sporty cars out there and they don't feel to heavy either on the butt dyno. Most modern cars are just plain porky. Growing up reading car mags/popular mechanics etc. I would have thought everything would be carbon fiber etc by now, especially now with the cost of gas, but it seems to me like manufactures would rather just make up for the bloated weight by adding more horsepower than to invest in lightweight tech. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that the average car buyer will be more impressed by a higher HP number than a lower curb weight, even if the lighter car has a better power to weight ratio.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    I desperately wanted to steal the powerplant from one and implant it into a S-10.
    Wouldn't that basically be a GMC syclone? GM actually did a really limited run of turbo Trans Ams with the 3.8 turbo from the GNX. They did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.... in 1989 They cancelled it though, I'm sure because they realized it would decimate corvette sales. Back then the corvettes were around 5.7 to 0-60.

I Support ClubWRX
    Different strokes...agreed that 3400 isn't terrible by modern standards, though it's just about my upper limit for anything sporty. My perspective on these things has gotten screw since my last car purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    With an all wheel drive system and modern safety features I'd say that's not too bad. Lighter than lots of other sporty cars out there and they don't feel to heavy either on the butt dyno. Most modern cars are just plain porky. Growing up reading car mags/popular mechanics etc. I would have thought everything would be carbon fiber etc by now, especially now with the cost of gas, but it seems to me like manufactures would rather just make up for the bloated weight by adding more horsepower than to invest in lightweight tech. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that the average car buyer will be more impressed by a higher HP number than a lower curb weight, even if the lighter car has a better power to weight ratio.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Gotta say the title of this thread cracks me up.
    Not so much anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.