Keep getting my ass kicked by this Buick - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Keep getting my ass kicked by this Buick within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I agree the Supra is over rated. Poor chassis choices -- from stretched Celica initially to 90s Japanese tech box ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree the Supra is over rated. Poor chassis choices -- from stretched Celica initially to 90s Japanese tech box -- and poor aesthetics -- from stretched Celica to chest wig chariot -- but the prices were high due to magazine hype and the admittedly galant efforts of teachers; despite their inability to discern a good car from a bad car, Supra fans could nonetheless generally read.

Toyota, to be fair, did make a worse car: the Corolla GTS.

The Buick makes me wonder if Eddie Money is still releasing music on cassette tapes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I always thought Supra wasn't over rated, seems like I never see them lose, especially on top end...but I'm just getting into the car seen so maybe I'm misinformed. I looked up the Buick and it's like a collectors car...not cheap either... Considering it's like 27 years old... Pretty impressive technology for its day!

I Support ClubWRX
    I, in contrast, can't recall a title the Supra has won. I'm sure there's something. I know Toyota homologated the Supra at one point but I suspect its impact wasn't substantial. I'm probably unaware of something or other historic they did though to be honest.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I, in contrast, can't recall a title the Supra has won. I'm sure there's something. I know Toyota homologated the Supra at one point but I suspect its impact wasn't substantial. I'm probably unaware of something or other historic they did though to be honest.
    Street Cred, Spiro... Street Cred.

For example, the Supra did win this title:

Of course that title seemed to be completely absent of any form of class or aesthetics.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Supras have a sexy exhaust note, and they put down great dyno numbers, but that's about it unless you want to spend enough money to buy a GTR.

Wow not a lot of Supra love here lol

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatepoisonivy View Post
    Wow not a lot of Supra love here lol
    No, I respect what Toyota was trying to accomplish with a limited budget. It was quite an amazing performer for the time in a car costing $30,000. However, I think the car is greatly over-hyped. It was heavy (and it needed to be) to qualify for Group-A homologation in Touring Car racing. Was it a bargain buy? Sure! Was it a Ferrari 512 Testarossa killer? No.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Seems like the new generation thinks it's the "God car" of the tuner types, maybe with the exception of the GTR. Anyhow, to stay on topic a little bit...if I had to choose between a supra and Grand National...it would have to be the GN, I can't get over that death black darth vador look with a turbo that whistles like a mack truck over its deep semi quite exhaust note lol

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It was one of the last muscle cars from that whole era...so its pretty much the "latest and greatest" ...from its era. Good luck trying to beat it at what its best at. Grand Nationals are nasty fast. I dont think they're the best looking muscle though lol.

Go buy a used crotch rocket.

bro, do you even race?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

You bought the wrong car for drag racing.

Have fun tearing up your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Threads merginated.

Always wanted a GNX; Darth Vader looks with muscle. Nothing I'd want to commute in, however.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I love the GNX, I'd commute in that no problem! OP you would be better off buying a 4th gen camaro or fox body with bolt ons, spray, and some drag radials rather than spend 3 times as much money trying to build your wrx into a drag car. I also agree the Supras are overrated. It blows my mind that you can pick up a clean MR2 turbo for 5k but base automatic Supras are still pushing $20k+ I still want one though...
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I love me a clean Grand National. Ultimate sleeper car because honestly not alot of people know about them, especially the new generation of car enthusiasts. They look heavy, cumbersome, and brutish but they can be made stupid fast.

My friend was in his WRX messing with people, hes kind of a stupid kid. Anyway, we were on state street which is a common "streetdrag" street (I DO NOT support "street racing" btw, and my friend knows it and will do it just to piss me off sometimes). Anway, he had beaten a few Civics and thought he was hot stuff. We pulled up next to a black GN with tinted windows. He was like "lets smoke this grandpa car!" I sat there quietly smiling, because I knew very well that it was not in fact a grandpa car.

So light goes green, my friend stomps on it, and I don't even think the GN noticed us until we took off like that, and then the guy was like "oh no you dont" because suddenly our ears are popping from the sound of a wide open turbo V6 and the guy flies by like we were standing still. My friend yells WHOALY SH-! and I'm just sitting there laughing.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast