Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Talk about an underwhelming experience. The DSG blew at low speeds and was only fun if you were already going ...

Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today

Talk about an underwhelming experience. The DSG blew at low speeds and was only fun if you were already going too dang fast.

The positive side is it felt like a more solid car and the handling wasn't bad. Unfortunately, it seems like too much of a compromise to use one as a daily driver and is just a plain old boring car. Hot hatch... Yeah... right...

Edit: As for what I am looking for, I want something that kind of reminds me of the WRX in terms of going, but doesn't require the manipulation of a third pedal. Last weekend was a BR-Z test drive and it was almost as underwhelming as the GTI. I found the BR-Z to be a much better handler though and that almost made up for its lack of speed. Key word, almost.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 09-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree about the BRZ. If that car came with some FI it would be a beast all around.

As I told my sales associate on the BR-Z test drive... "If this thing had 300 HP, I'd be leaving with it TODAY!"

As for the GTI with the DSG... A few of my VW friends told me that I would like the car with an API Stage 1 kit which consists of an intake, intercooler, turbo back exhaust, and ECU tune. My retort to that was that I shouldn't have to modify the car to be happy with it. In stock form, it was was BORING and reminded me of my 2000 Accord V6 Coupe. Besides, let's say I do get the severe increase in torque from the stage 1 goodies, how bad will that make the torque steer?

My last semi-powerful FWD car was a 2007 Accord V6 6MT sedan. Stepping on it while turning into traffic was ill advised because torque steer kicked in!

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    As I told my sales associate on the BR-Z test drive... "If this thing had 300 HP, I'd be leaving with it TODAY!"

As for the GTI with the DSG... A few of my VW friends told me that I would like the car with an API Stage 1 kit which consists of an intake, intercooler, turbo back exhaust, and ECU tune. My retort to that was that I shouldn't have to modify the car to be happy with it. In stock form, it was was BORING and reminded me of my 2000 Accord V6 Coupe. Besides, let's say I do get the severe increase in torque from the stage 1 goodies, how bad will that make the torque steer?

My last semi-powerful FWD car was a 2007 Accord V6 6MT sedan. Stepping on it while turning into traffic was ill advised because torque steer kicked in!
    A buddy of mine has a stage 2+ GTI, the torque steer is actually not bad at all.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

If only they offered the Golf R with the DSG, I may have been swayed. Who knows when that variant will hit the dealerships... I heard everything from early 2014 to mid 2015.

The next vehicles I am going to test drive will be a 2014 Stingray, a 335i coupe, and I am waiting patiently for the Mercedes CLA45 AMG to hit the dealer showrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    The next vehicles I am going to test drive will be a 2014 Stingray, a 335i coupe, and I am waiting patiently for the Mercedes CLA45 AMG to hit the dealer showrooms.
    If those are the types of cars you're interested in...no wonder you were underwhelmed by the GTI haha.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If those are the types of cars you're interested in...no wonder you were underwhelmed by the GTI haha.
    Yeah, there seems to be a big jump in market from a $30k GTI to a $50k 'Vette...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I'm actually considering a 2015 GTI or Golf R next year. I HAD a 2008 WRX (G37x coupe right now) and really want a hatchback again. My WRX was my first AWD car, but I could go back to FWD if it's a good enough handling car. From everything I've been reading about the GTI the last few years...they're one of the best. The Golf R would fix the compromise, but the price is a little high in my opinion. I want to lower my car budget without sacrificing too much 'luxury'. In my opinion, they have a better interior than a Focus, Fiesta, WRX, etc. (fit/finish, materials)

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Yeah, there seems to be a big jump in market from a $30k GTI to a $50k 'Vette...
    My wife just rolls her eyes at me!

Regardless, I am about to prove the cult of Subaru wrong... I was told, most Subaru owners buy a second Subaru when they are ready to change cars. Pahahahahaha, RIIIIIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I'm actually considering a 2015 GTI or Golf R next year. I HAD a 2008 WRX (G37x coupe right now) and really want a hatchback again. My WRX was my first AWD car, but I could go back to FWD if it's a good enough handling car. From everything I've been reading about the GTI the last few years...they're one of the best. The Golf R would fix the compromise, but the price is a little high in my opinion. I want to lower my car budget without sacrificing too much 'luxury'. In my opinion, they have a better interior than a Focus, Fiesta, WRX, etc. (fit/finish, materials)
    My requirements this go round are roughly the same, or better, performance than the WRX AND it MUST have an automatic transmission with RWD or AWD. My budget is still the same as when I started looking a few months back at $60k or less. The bean counter in me wants to stick to a car $35k or less whereas the successful consulting company that I have going right now is telling me to live a little.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 10-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.

I pretty much decided one of two things are going to happen. First, I'm trying to adjust my seating position because I realized that where it currently was, I was locking out my knee to activate the clutch. I pulled it a couple of notches forward to see if that fixes my pain issue during stop and go traffic. If it does, I'm keeping the WRX and going to end my search for a new ride. After thinking long and hard about it, I came to the realization that this is one of those cars that I will miss if I get rid of it.

Alternatively, if adjusting my seating doesn't end the knee problems, the second alternative is getting a 370z sport package and 7 at. That was the other vehicle I was considering and realistically the only one that I like in the price range that gives me most of what I want. While I would love to get a Stingray, M4, or some other luxury/sport coupe, my inner accountant just can't bring myself to part with the money. I also won't buy a first gen anything, as stated in my other thread, so there is that.

I do want to test the Golf R when it hits the USA with the DSG as an option. I know the 6MT R turns into a beast with a retune, so I am hoping the new one in stock form with the DSG will be more impressive than the GTI.

Which brings me back to my original point of this thread... I still don't know why people compare the GTI to the WRX because after driving both, they are totally different cars for different purposes. I'm willing to sacrifice fit/finish/fuel economy for power and delivery! The GTI looks like a "hot hatch" but driving it was BORING!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My next car won't be a Subaru either.

Though I am starting to strongly consider the FRS....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    They are compared because they are both sporty and in the same price bracket.

I've owned both... I preferred my WRX, but for most people the GTI would be a better primary vehicle.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Subaru could learn from VW on proper materials for the interior. I loved the build quality of the GTI.

In all fairness to the GTI, I was also underwhelmed by my WRX at first. After an intake, exhaust, proper tune and some minor suspension changes, that went 180 degrees.
    The same can be said for the GTI. Go look at the APR stage 1, 1+, 2 tunes and the numbers. You could also wait to see if that new 296HP Golf R makes it over here for 2015 as well. AWD and plenty of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    Subaru could learn from VW on proper materials for the interior. I loved the build quality of the GTI.

Interior design is nice, yes. But actual build quality? VW is not what they used to be in this department, as their reputation for reliability is not the best. And from my personal friends, who have 2 Jetta's one Passat and one GTi, I can tell you they've all had their fair share of issues, all with relatively low miles. That's is a big thing that steered me away from the GTi when I was shopping for a car; that and it was pretty underwhelming to drive for all the clamor of "THE" hot-hatch. Nice and refined, but not too fun to drive.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast