Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Your list is very similar to mine. Try out an S60 R-Design. You might be surprised. BMW 335 are very ...

Your list is very similar to mine. Try out an S60 R-Design. You might be surprised. BMW 335 are very quick with a tune and can be a lot of fun. They're better with the sport package. I almost bought an S60 R-Design though. It was a 2012 red/black w/ 30,000 miles. They just wouldn't negotiate and weren't offering enough on my WRX. That's when I went with the G37 coupe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh, I did find an Evolution MR in Houston, but my wife asked me how pissed off I would be if I drove 7 hours round trip to test drive it and walked away as unimpressed as I was with everything else thus far. As a result, I decided against it.

I spoke to a mechanic friend earlier today and he warned me that chances are high that something will break on the Mitsubishi thereby pissing me off. He was my voice of reason through four years of 2006 Mehstang GT ownership hell after all. I addressed nearly every corner that Ford cut with that car, and still was not happy with it because something else would break.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    Oh, I did find an Evolution MR in Houston, but my wife asked me how pissed off I would be if I drove 7 hours round trip to test drive it and walked away as unimpressed as I was with everything else thus far. As a result, I decided against it.

I spoke to a mechanic friend earlier today and he warned me that chances are high that something will break on the Mitsubishi thereby pissing me off. He was my voice of reason through four years of 2006 Mehstang GT ownership hell after all. I addressed nearly every corner that Ford cut with that car, and still was not happy with it because something else would break.

apparently you haven't test drove the new 5.0 stang
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

I Support ClubWRX
    I spoke to a mechanic friend earlier today and he warned me that chances are high that something will break on the Mitsubishi thereby pissing me off.
    I've sworn off Mitsubishis too, to be honest. Their biggest downfall is that they are not made by Honda. I found the balance shaft arrangement on the 4G63 insulting, and when I learned the setup was actually licensed out to Porsche for their 4 cyl cars as well it shattered a boyhood idol of mine forever. I won't forgive Mitsu the leaking transfer case, the balance shaft failure, the seaping electrolytic capacitors in the ECU, the valve ticking, and all the rest.

The cars are absolutely brilliant and I would never buy one. Somebody else that "knows better" can buy all they want, and I'd love to borrow one. I'll never own one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Your list is very similar to mine. Try out an S60 R-Design. You might be surprised. BMW 335 are very quick with a tune and can be a lot of fun. They're better with the sport package. I almost bought an S60 R-Design though. It was a 2012 red/black w/ 30,000 miles. They just wouldn't negotiate and weren't offering enough on my WRX. That's when I went with the G37 coupe.

I can attest a 335i turns into a completely different car with just a cobb tune. I don't even have any aftermarket parts, just a 93 octane tune, and it is a totally different car...

Every Volkswagen enthusiast I know claims that they are underrated on the hp. But with a new GTI 2.0 turbo making only 200 or so hp in 2013 as opposed to say the 4g63 in America (DSM-not the and all be all but just one example) making the same power in 1995 I have to ask WTF.

Is the rating different for VW or German cars as far as HP/TQ ratings in America vs Germany?
    I hear all sorts of stories from my German car enthusiast friends saying are underrated, but when we compete I am unimpressed.

I could see with some mods they improve, since the numbers are generally 7-10 years behind Japanese or American Engines "ON PAPER"

What gives?
    Last edited by Cenpho; 12-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comp.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	127570
    Sorry it's hard to read but that's a simple spec my spec. Overal if I had to pick one I'd pick the 18 year old car based of specs. But wait there is the magical interior factor I forgot about...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenpho View Post
    Is the rating different for VW or German cars as far as HP/TQ ratings in America vs Germany?
    HP SAE and HP DIN do differ, yes. Also I don't know if an EU directive has superseded HP DIN.

It's not the under rating that's my issue, it's the reliability and spares costs. If I had to buy VAG I'd buy SEAT or Skoda.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Talk about an underwhelming experience. The DSG blew at low speeds and was only fun if you were already going too dang fast.

The positive side is it felt like a more solid car and the handling wasn't bad. Unfortunately, it seems like too much of a compromise to use one as a daily driver and is just a plain old boring car. Hot hatch... Yeah... right...
    I just traded in my 2013 GLI Autobahn and can tell you that I was miserable with that POS. The DSG (which is so highly rated in all the automotive press) is a clunky piece of garbage. It takes too long to get in gear when you take your foot off the brake pedal and then finally lurches at launch. It maniacally shifted up to save gas in drive and held gears way too long in sport mode which also would not use 6th gear on the highway even at 80+.

But the DSG might have been the best part of the car. Any type of launch past 1/2 throttle would engage the traction control. Full throttle launches caused severe axle tramp. And this is after I replaced the horrible Dunlop A/S Sport all season tires (of which I got 3 sidewall bubbles in 4,000 miles) with high performance summer rubber.

The handling limits are very low and driving anywhere near the limit is an exercise in terminal understeer with no way to balance the car in a corner.

The interior fit and finish was nice - but the cockpit was very confining with a high dash and beltline that severely limited the view out and the rearview mirror is mounted so low it is impossible to see a corner apex on right hand turns.

I guess I should have listened to Car and Driver when they ran the GLI in their Lightning Lap and it ranked as one of the bottom 10 cars they tested in the last 6 years!

As a comparison - my new ride is a 2015 WRX. I am in heaven. I got the CVT because my wife and I need to swap cars on occasion and she does not drive a stick. The CVT is a joy to live with. The three modes are ready to suit whatever driving mood I'm in. The only time there is any drone is when the motor is cold and the CVT keeps revs around 1300 during warmup. Other than that working the paddles is fantastic. It feels like a well behaved DSG. Down 'shifting' into exit ramps is a blast and the WRX's aggressive turn in really holds a tight line. You can feel the car dig in when applying power in a corner (torque vectoring?) and understeer is nil.

I can launch the WRX a full throttle in the rain with no drama...it just takes off!

I am having a blast! Thank you Subaru for the CVT that allowed me to buy this car!
    Last edited by 15WRX; 05-08-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Interior design is nice, yes. But actual build quality? VW is not what they used to be in this department, as their reputation for reliability is not the best. And from my personal friends, who have 2 Jetta's one Passat and one GTi, I can tell you they've all had their fair share of issues, all with relatively low miles. That's is a big thing that steered me away from the GTi when I was shopping for a car; that and it was pretty underwhelming to drive for all the clamor of "THE" hot-hatch. Nice and refined, but not too fun to drive.
    The GTI interior looks better than 15 WRX in pictures. In reality, the fit and finish as well materials, I think are better in the Subie. The steering wheel, instruments and seats are better too. I don't know how it is that the Dub is so nice in pics, and so meh in person.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX interior better than a GTI's? Wow, times are a'changin'...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

People may disagree, but after driving a GTI this afternoon, I walked away pretty disappointed with the VW.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I drove the 14' Golf GLI and also was not impressed, coming around a corner you could feel the wheels lose traction which is crazy since its the base engine DSG with no mods, also which is stupid is that VW did not have a USB port which seems like it should be common in all new cars now, it was also still analog for the Heating and AC, The 15" WRX was a breath of fresh air... its does seem nicer then the VW on the interior as well and is Digital with the USB... Also it drives better!

My current ride is a 2011 BMW 335d Msport (yes, the 6 cyl diesel). For kicks I test drove both versions of the 2015 GTI yesterday and a 6 sp 2015 WRX today. I totally echo the OP's comments and most of those here - the WRX is a fantastic car and the GTI a serious disappointment with either tranny option. Underpowered, floaty, steering disconnectedly, excess body roll, and with a center stack that had my knee rubbing in pain after 10 minutes, the GTI underwhelmed at every opportunity. The WRX on the other hand was a total hoot and very likely to be my next car. It is as fast as the 335d without mods and, while not quite as smooth, it still corners great and rides smoothly. And, with the 6 sp it is a total blast to drive. With no skin in the game of GTI versus WRX I say that the WRX is a driver's car and the GTI is a fraud. I'm also calling out the professional automotive press - I can't see any way that the WRX and the GTI are even in the same conversation, let alone that the GTI is superior, which seems to be the official consensus. Dunno what gives, but I learned a valuable lesson today.

2015 WRX CVT tranny

Man, do I love this car. Had it for over 2 months and find that it is roomy inside, bigger trunk than my C Class MZB, Seats are VERY comfortable, quite fast and corners terrific. I get lots of compliments on the looks of the car. MPG is 26-30 city: 35 MPG Hwy. I used to get some uncomfortable leg pains in the Mercedes and an Audi. Since I have had the WRX I have not had 1 painful moment. AND did anyone say how great those LED headlights are?
    Bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast