Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Test Drove a Golf GTI "Driver's Edition" today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I misspoke. Should have said Material quality/fit and finish of the interior. It certainly felt like a more expensive car ...

I misspoke. Should have said Material quality/fit and finish of the interior. It certainly felt like a more expensive car inside to me. JMO. I didn't like the power delivery or the exhaust note of the manual I tried.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    I misspoke. Should have said Material quality/fit and finish of the interior. It certainly felt like a more expensive car inside to me. JMO. I didn't like the power delivery or the exhaust note of the manual I tried.
    Which model did you drive...I assume MKVI? The MKVII is supposedly much improved. It has more power and torque and at a lower RPM. The 0-60 is supposed to be quicker and the handling improved. Just sayin'...(plus lots of aftermarket possibilities) I'll wait to do my test driving for the MKVII personally.

It was the 2011 model. I haven't tried the New one.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    My next car won't be a Subaru either.

Though I am starting to strongly consider the FRS....
    Mine either, and that may be sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    It was the 2011 model. I haven't tried the New one.
    MKVII's won't be stateside until mid-late 2014. '11 was the same car as '13/'14 pretty sure.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I THINK there is a BR-Z STI coming out. I saw a concept of it somewhere.

I heard something similar about the second car topic. I was told most people buy a Subaru and keep it 8-10 years. I wouldn't have a problem with the same car if I weren't such a car geek and didn't have a laundry list of cars I want to own.

A lot of them though are waaaaay out of reach for me.

I like the GTI styling, I think I might go check one out to add to the list of possible future cars.

EDIT: Here is the BR-Z STI http://www.caranddriver.com/news/sub...ept-auto-shows

Its supposed to have 250 hp, from tuning, not adding a turbo.
    Last edited by Turbolag11; 10-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Sadly, I must report that changing my seat position did nothing for the pain in my knee. Getting old sucks!

Now, the search continues...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post

Welcome to Subaru. We've seen oh so many C&D "next generation" announcements that never pan out. Truthfully, few know anything yet.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

hi guys , maybe my opinion is irrelevant in this forum, but im completely turn off by front wheel drive cars so it doesnt matter how fast can you make the Golf go for me it lacks character..., on the other hand sure will consider a BR-Z, doesnt matter how slow it could be, i honestly think that it has character and the looks.......

cheers

I Support ClubWRX
    I absolutely <3 my BRZ. If you're a stoplight racer, or live for bragging rights of hp numbers, then it's the wrong car. For pure "smiles per mile", I've never owned anything better. And of the 4 Subies I've owned, it's the best-looking by a long shot.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I absolutely <3 my BRZ. If you're a stoplight racer, or live for bragging rights of hp numbers, then it's the wrong car. For pure "smiles per mile", I've never owned anything better. And of the 4 Subies I've owned, it's the best-looking by a long shot.
    Better looking than a Baja??! Nonsense!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Better looking than a Baja??! Nonsense!
    I like Baja's for kinda the same reason that I like my bugeye wagon...they're quirky as hell.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I made up my mind this morning that I was going to replace my WRX with a Mitsubishi Evolution MR. Essentially it is what I have in the WRX with an automatic transmission after all...

Well... I email the Mitsubishi dealership, asking how much of a deposit I need to put down to get them to order one, and I am greeted with a "No can do!" They said can't order ANY Evolutions right now.

The search continues on...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I made up my mind this morning that I was going to replace my WRX with a Mitsubishi Evolution MR. Essentially it is what I have in the WRX with an automatic transmission after all...

Well... I email the Mitsubishi dealership, asking how much of a deposit I need to put down to get them to order one, and I am greeted with a "No can do!" They said can't order ANY Evolutions right now.

Uh oh...
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post

You can find a gently used one, no mods, on Car Max and get it delivered to the closest Car Max...it's an option if you're deadset on one. I'm always looking at those too...been drawn to them for a long time. Just get a 2011 or later if you do.

And now that I have test driven the higher dollar cars, I am equally unimpressed. A 335i just doesn't wow me enough to the tune of paying $25k over what a GTI would cost. The Infiniti G37 was more boring than the GTI. I can't find a new Stingray, but the salesman telling me to prepare to spend MORE than sticker immediately crossed it off the list.

This sucks because not a single thing that I have test driven has given me the "I gotta have this" feeling that the WRX did when I test drove it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast