Thinking of moving into the luxury-sport segment
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of moving into the luxury-sport segment within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok first off I value any and all opinions here. I am contemplating moving up from my 12 wrx to ...

Thinking of moving into the luxury-sport segment

Ok first off I value any and all opinions here. I am contemplating moving up from my 12 wrx to something a bit more...luxury based. I am thinking a few year old m3, c63 amg, or possibly a s5/s4...these cars(in the used segment) can be had for huge depreciated values & have a lot to offer.

I love my wrx for a host of reasons: hatch(super handy), awd, sporty(I'm a personal trainer, and I always get my clients saying its a trainers car lol)..this is my 3rd wrx & they've all made me super happy.

The reason I am considering moving up is because 1) I have no kids, so I think this would be the BEST time to sow my wild oats with something crazy fast, 2) I want to move up as far as my "image" is concerned(some may say this is of no consequence, but it's something I value).

Obviously there are some downfalls: maintenance fees high(although I expect a good portion of the maintenance can be done by me).

Can someone who has a vehicle on this end of the scale give me a little input on your feelings on power/maintenance/general driving feel? Are they as fun(or more so) than a WRX at stage 2?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have no experience with this car, but the Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is a sick looking car. No to mention it has like 425 hp stock, and I think it would quality as luxury/muscle.

If I was looking in that category, that's where id start lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
    Ok first off I value any and all opinions here. I am contemplating moving up from my 12 wrx to something a bit more...luxury based. I am thinking a few year old m3, c63 amg, or possibly a s5/s4...these cars(in the used segment) can be had for huge depreciated values & have a lot to offer.

I love my wrx for a host of reasons: hatch(super handy), awd, sporty(I'm a personal trainer, and I always get my clients saying its a trainers car lol)..this is my 3rd wrx & they've all made me super happy.

The reason I am considering moving up is because 1) I have no kids, so I think this would be the BEST time to sow my wild oats with something crazy fast, 2) I want to move up as far as my "image" is concerned(some may say this is of no consequence, but it's something I value).

Obviously there are some downfalls: maintenance fees high(although I expect a good portion of the maintenance can be done by me).

Can someone who has a vehicle on this end of the scale give me a little input on your feelings on power/maintenance/general driving feel? Are they as fun(or more so) than a WRX at stage 2?
    If I were going down the luxury-sport category, I would start with the M3 or S5. A M3 of a few years back can be had at a good value, and my experience with a friend of mine's was nothing short of fantastic, so long as you keep up with maintenance and don't mind the high cost of German parts. His is an e46; love that car.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    I decided I wanted more "refinement" and luxury, back in 2005. I sold my modded WRX, and got a gorgeous G35 coupe. 6-speed, leather, classy. I was bored of it within a month or two, and found my way back into another WRX.

I could see having a luxury boat as one of my fleet, but if I'm going to be driving one car, it will be a rough-and-tumble car with driver involvement.

"Image" has its place while you're single and looking for girls, I suppose. Plumage, all that kind of thing.

I keep wanting a German sports car, and I keep wimping out, until my kids are out of the house. Too many scary maintenance stories out there. Best of luck selecting; all of our wants are different, and I'll be interested to get your review of whatever you wind up with.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

My brother in law opts for the BMW 550i for image, and entertaining clients, which are often one in the same.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I'd stay away from the S4 my good friend has one and that thing is nothing but problems.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Cadillac ATS. ...From the commercials it's supposed to be the greatest car ever lol.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyhooner7 View Post
    I'd stay away from the S4 my good friend has one and that thing is nothing but problems.
    yerp. older audi's can be a nightmare. i'd only buy a brand new one or a slightly used one with a warranty

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Thank you for all the input! I definitely like the look of the s5 but I've heard cost wise they can be a bitch to maintain.

I am leaning more toward the e46 m3's as they can be had relatively cheap & would be a good starter I believe! Wish me luck! I'll keep you updated!

I had thought about the srt8...but honestly...cannot get myself to drive a car so many drive around here(central Kansas). I want a stand-out!

Lol....you would be the envy of everyone in winfield or el dorado in that m3

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not buy any German vehicle available in the United States.

Find an Acura or Lexus dealer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I had thought about the srt8...but honestly...cannot get myself to drive a car so many drive around here(central Kansas). I want a stand-out!
    Yea I know, but after seeing it on Breaking Bad I can't help but want one so bad! It's just classy...yet bad A$$!

I Support ClubWRX

I think you nailed it right there: maintenance/repairs. My parents have a pair of BMWs, and while they're fairly reliable, repair/maintenance costs are astronomical, for no apparent reason. My dad hasn't replaced the pixelated dot-matrix stereo display since it's a whopping $1800 in parts. He can't got aftermarket, since the the trip computers are stored in there. He did have to replace the throttle position encoder after it died while the car was moving, stranding him until a tow truck came. My mom's BMW was dead in the driveway after a battery short. Since the battery is in the back, and the tailgate is all electric, we had to climb over the back seats (which are also electric, and wouldn't budge) to fix it. Don't think you'll save a lot by doing the work yourself. Parts costs, not labor, make up the largest slice of the bills, and you don't want to cheap out with off-brand parts.

In my experience, BMWs do seem to be the most reliable between MB, BMW, and Audi, but when just about anything from Japan is vastly more reliable and cheaper to maintain, that doesn't give me a lot of incentive to buy German.

You won't find anything exciting in Acura's current lineup, I'm not sure about the newer Lexus cars, but I can say the Infiniti G37's are really fun cars, and are very well-equipped.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not buy any German vehicle available in the United States.

Find an Acura or Lexus dealer.
    This.

Furthermore, keep in mind that many "performance" vehicles have been driven like bats out of hell. Also, when they inevitably break, your repair bill will reflect the overall "perceived value" of the brand.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

As nice as an e46 is...they are a little older. I don't think they have that same "baller" status image as they used to since anyone can really afford them now. Plus, you're looking at a "newer" (compared to e36 years) BMW where parts really started to cost more...but you don't have that status symbol of an e92.

If I were to go Audi, it'd be RS4 or bust.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast