Thinking of moving into the luxury-sport segment - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of moving into the luxury-sport segment within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Fantastic comments guys! You've given me lots to think about! I'm putting this one on the back burner for now ...

Fantastic comments guys! You've given me lots to think about! I'm putting this one on the back burner for now as I just hired a affiliate marketing consultant & that will be taking the majority of my spare time.

I agree on the rs4 comment, so sexy! But most are still sitting at 30k+ at 10 years old..hard to justify...but then again so is a m3 lol.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would look at a Cadillac CTS 3.6 or if your lucky a CTS-V, Haven't heard anything bad about Infiniti. Big fan of the G series coupes.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
    Ok first off I value any and all opinions here. I am contemplating moving up from my 12 wrx to something a bit more...luxury based. I am thinking a few year old m3, c63 amg, or possibly a s5/s4...these cars(in the used segment) can be had for huge depreciated values & have a lot to offer.

I love my wrx for a host of reasons: hatch(super handy), awd, sporty(I'm a personal trainer, and I always get my clients saying its a trainers car lol)..this is my 3rd wrx & they've all made me super happy.
    What exactly are you considering as "luxury?" Is it a brand and a price tag or are you looking for specific options that you cannot find in a Subaru? That fact that you've had 3 WRXs and loved every single one might mean that you've found your wheel house with Subaru.

The reason I am considering moving up is because 1) I have no kids, so I think this would be the BEST time to sow my wild oats with something crazy fast, 2) I want to move up as far as my "image" is concerned(some may say this is of no consequence, but it's something I value).
    Your car is not an accurate reflection of your image. I think how you dress and present yourself to others is far more accurate reflection than what you drive. If you think your car sucks, park it where no one will see you. If that is not an option, buy a bus pass. You can tell your clients and prospective employers that you're "green" and you'll have more money than if you "upgrade" your vehicle choice.

Obviously there are some downfalls: maintenance fees high(although I expect a good portion of the maintenance can be done by me).
    I've owned a few cars, but my favorite ones to drive are my beaters. I honestly prefer my OBS to any of the "nice" cars that I've owned. I will always pick a more reliable vehicle with low maintenance cost over something newer with all the bells and whistles. It's great to own something nice, but I much prefer having money to do other things in life.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

If I was in the market for a used sport-luxury car I would buy a used BMW 135i with no upgrades. Just a stereo and AC.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I gave serious thought to the 135 when I was in the market; probably my favorite of their current lineup, when you take price, performance, and other specs into account. But it weighs in the neighborhood of 3400 lbs, (which kinda shocked me, given its size), and that's not what I want in a sportscar. I also read horror stories about upkeep on their forums. <sigh>
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ok first off I value any and all opinions here. I am contemplating moving up from my 12 wrx to something a bit more...luxury based. I am thinking a few year old m3, c63 amg, or possibly a s5/s4...these cars(in the used segment) can be had for huge depreciated values & have a lot to offer.

I love my wrx for a host of reasons: hatch(super handy), awd, sporty(I'm a personal trainer, and I always get my clients saying its a trainers car lol)..this is my 3rd wrx & they've all made me super happy.

The reason I am considering moving up is because 1) I have no kids, so I think this would be the BEST time to sow my wild oats with something crazy fast, 2) I want to move up as far as my "image" is concerned(some may say this is of no consequence, but it's something I value).

Obviously there are some downfalls: maintenance fees high(although I expect a good portion of the maintenance can be done by me).

Can someone who has a vehicle on this end of the scale give me a little input on your feelings on power/maintenance/general driving feel? Are they as fun(or more so) than a WRX at stage 2?
    I just recently went from 2008 WRX to a 2013 Infiniti G37x coupe. It's a VERY different car, but I love it. It's lacking a little 'personality', but it's very fast, very comfortable, very reliable and definitely has a better fit/finish. On the other hand...there's always a chance I'll own a WRX again someday. I would NOT go German cars out of warranty...BMW, Audi, Merc, etc. If you lease or buy a new one...fine. I know several people with them, to varying degrees, and they all have had (expensive) multiple trips to dealerships.

The new Lexus IS350 sure is getting rave reviews. R&T picked it over the 3 series in this months issue. I know you said "used" but you may be able to get a new one for the price of some of the used cars that you are looking at.
    Last edited by kritzell; 09-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.

I'm kind of interested in the Mercedes CLA45 AMG myself.

went from a STI to a RS4 ...never looked back....

but i do have a WRX as a daily
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Novtrc...what year rs4? I'm surprised how high they still are. What's your favorite aspect of it?? Talk to me boy!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    My brother has an E36 M3, and it rides rougher than an Evo.

Not exactly sport, but we had an Audi A6 for 8 years without major problems.

Just get an old 911 and be done with it. Even old ones have more cache than any sport sedan.

Are you going to be able to actually use the "crazy fast" portion of your oats sewing? Modern highways aren't challenging, and driving crazy fast in traffic or on public roads is dangerous and stupid. As has been said many times, it is a lot more fun going fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car. My '58 MG is a lot more fun to drive at 50 MPH than my WRX is at 90 MPH. Modern cars are just more stable and refined, while the MG is more physical to drive. So was my Miata, but it sounds like you wouldn't be caught dead in a chick car.

<-- (very happy to have left giving a sh!t about what anyone else thinks behind long ago...)
    Last edited by smorris; 10-03-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I've heard the A line Audi's are spectacular as far as reliability goes, and they are so damn classy.

As far as your 2nd question, no. My wrx is stage2, and very rarely do I actually get to "get on it"(I live 4 blocks from my business). But it's just the THOUGHT that I'd like yes, vanity, but, I figure I do not spend money on anything ridiculous, so it is my one splurge.

A older 911 turbo sounds FANTASTIC.

The Cadillac CTS is a good recommendation IMO. Kind of the classy sleeper. They are MUCH quicker than they look.

Also, Acura and Lexus are good ways to go, maybe an Acura TSX or a TL. You get the lux/sport world, without the maintenance prices/reliability of some of the other automakers. BMW used to be pretty hit or miss for reliability, at least back in the day, not sure about now, and repair costs on Audi/BMW/Porsche and some others will be pretty outrageous.

Acura and Lexus will still be above normal consumer cost, but not so bad as the others I'd think.

EDIT: Not sure why it keeps double posting...
    Last edited by Jbeckforever; 10-04-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    EDIT: Not sure why it keeps double posting...
    It's be doing that for me too. I usually delete the second post. New owners haven't done anything to address this yet since they took over. Oh well
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast