2011 vs. 2013 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 vs. 2013 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, so I recently drove my friends 2011 wrx sedan and was left quite surprised. His car has 30,000+ ...

2011 vs. 2013 WRX

Hey guys, so I recently drove my friends 2011 wrx sedan and was left quite surprised. His car has 30,000+ miles on it, mine only has about 9k. I have a 2013 wrx hatchback. I got into his car and when I drove it, it felt like a different car. The clutch was a lot heavier, the shifts seemed harder, but it seemed to pull much harder than mine in any gear. Are the 11's faster than the 13's? Does it have to do with the number of miles on our cars? His steering wheel felt a lot stiffer for some reason as well. I am completely lost. I feel like I've been ripped off by Subaru

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Same car. Stock that is...

My cousin and I have a 2013 wrx hatchback. But his clutch definitely has a stronger spring back action than mine.

Mine isn't very stiff but I'm still a race car driver :-) although when I went from my 08 to the 13 that was a huge difference.
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

I just traded my 11WRX for 13. I felt the difference right away. The power, clutch, suspension. I checked with parts department and they check and said all parts are identical, yea right. When I hit the boost in 11 it was noticeable enough to put a smile, 13 is really locking the spike in power and more smooth. It's a diferent tune and the aftermarket identical maps (TP) won't work for 13. It feels underpowered. Time to compensate that power, DP and catback awaiting.

Quote Originally Posted by parenbizvegasa View Post
    I just traded my 11WRX for 13. I felt the difference right away. The power, clutch, suspension. I checked with parts department and they check and said all parts are identical, yea right. When I hit the boost in 11 it was noticeable enough to put a smile, 13 is really locking the spike in power and more smooth. It's a diferent tune and the aftermarket identical maps (TP) won't work for 13. It feels underpowered. Time to compensate that power, DP and catback awaiting.
    Wait a sec...so I plan on buying a stage 1 torqued performance map when my accessport comes in...torqued performance says that they make a map for the 2013 wrx. Are you saying that the map won't return that many gains? Would the map show any difference at all on a 2013 at all??? If not then might as well not buy it.... And exactly the my 13 felt a lot smoother and easier to drive, but dang his car felt like it had a lot more power for some reason...

Some weird info in this thread.

2011 and 2013 cars are exactly the same mechanically. Differences in feel probably have more to do with the extra miles than anything else. As far as power goes, are the 11s that you guys have driven totally stock?

A stage 1 tune on your 2013 should provide similar gains as it would on a 2011.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

What I have described previously felt different between two cars that I own. My 11 had 15K miles on it. I don't know if you will have the same gains as I can't use my 11 TP map for 13. If the cars are similar why can I use the same map? What else might be different, apparently ECU is. Oh, yea that's per Eric. As far is stock for stock, both cars felt different to me.

Just to clear this up:

The maps are identical underneath for 2011+. Now the 2011+ are smoother and don't have as much power as the 2009 2010. The 09 and 10 tend to boost spike from the factory and it gives them more of a kick.
    Chances are the only difference is that things aren't as broken in on the 2013.
    Funny thing is the only difference I have seen with the 2013 is the opposite. I have seen more random cars that are 2013's that seem to get small boost spikes more than other cars. This is really only 1 in 5 cars that seem to have this issue and its minor.
    Emailed Eric since he's the one who is actually looking at the maps.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Just to clear this up:
    THanks for looking into it calvinball! Yeah the one I drove was totally stock I mean my friend's was a leased car. I'm still confused so Eric is simply saying that the reason things felt a little different were because the 2011 with 30k + miles was prolly more broken in? Thanks for the input y'all!

Emailed Eric since he's the one who is actually looking at the maps.

THanks for looking into it calvinball! Yeah the one I drove was totally stock I mean my friend's was a leased car. I'm still confused so Eric is simply saying that the reason things felt a little different were because the 2011 with 30k + miles was prolly more broken in? Thanks for the input y'all!

I test drove both a new 2013 and a slightly used 2012 and I swore the 2012 felt quicker and sounded louder. I could hear the turbo on the 2013 but not 2012. I know they are the same car but the 2012 felt more "sporty". I thought it was because I drove the 2013 first and just wasn't used to it. Now I wonder if I should order the 2014.

The '11 has blacked out headlights. That's probably what makes them more faster. And cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    The '11 has blacked out headlights. That's probably what makes them more faster. And cooler.
    Confirmed. I painted the chrome housings on my 2012 headlights. My car is now faster and louder.
    2012 WRX Premium - Lightning Red Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.