What should I buy... 2007 mustang GT or 2008 wrx?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What should I buy... 2007 mustang GT or 2008 wrx? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guys... Talk me into one or the other! 08 or if I can find a good price on one ...

What should I buy... 2007 mustang GT or 2008 wrx?

Ok guys... Talk me into one or the other! 08 or if I can find a good price on one an 09 WRX, vs a Mustang GT from 07-09. They post similiar 1/4 times, and 0-60 is almost dead even on paper. I do live in an area with a good bit of snow, so that's why I was leaning towards a WRX. And to be honest, I sorta like their corolla like looks, it's stealthy Everyone notices a mustang, but the WRX of this body style, especially the sedan is a bit of a sleeper IMO. But I've heard the stang has a better shifting transmission, a better quality interior etc. Now I know asking on a wrx forum will get me biased answers, but thats sort of what I'm looking for anyways because they just seem more practical, and can potentially be faster (I've seen 1/4 slips of stock 09s hitting low 13's, and high 4 sec 0-60s)
    Current ride: 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited, Ironrockoffroad 6.5 premium long arm lift, 3.73 gears with varilock, 33 procomp mt's and rockcrawler wheels.
    CURRENTLY SHOPPING FOR: 08 or 09 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They are very different cars. So the question is, what kind of car do you need? I'll never understand why the mustang and the wrx are always such close competitors in peoples' minds. One is a V8 RWD coupe good at straight lines, the other is a turbo 4 banger 4 door better at corners.

My best advice? If practicalities don't demand AWD and/or 4 doors, go find and drive an example of each and see which one you like driving better.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have actually had the chance to drive both, my buddy has a 08 wrx, and my other buddy has a 06 GT I've actually been suprised at how well the GT handled. It was head and shoulders above the 1 2008 wrx I've driven with stock suspension. It set into corners better, had less understeer, less body roll, and was almost easier to launch (didn't feel like destroying the transmission in my buddies wrx though, could have launch it harder) The problems with either of them suspension and handling wise can easily be handled IMO but I think the GT handles better than a lot of WRX drivers think. The rear axle did hop like mad whenever the tires broke loose though. My friends base 07 Mustang on the other hand, handles much closer to a 08 wrx in the body roll and understeer department. I know 09 got revised suspension, but my main point was the mustang handles suprisingly well, and imo better than a 08 wrx. Or I might just suck at driving awd
    Current ride: 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited, Ironrockoffroad 6.5 premium long arm lift, 3.73 gears with varilock, 33 procomp mt's and rockcrawler wheels.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    GT

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

07 mustangs are horrible. look at the gt v8 hp #s. and theyre heavy

any specific reasons?

I've owned a 97 camaro a 2002 mustang gt, 2006 350z and a 2013 wrx. I would say it depends on your priorities. If all you want is a toy to race around on Friday nights and drive to and from work I would say the Mustang GT, but if you have kids and a spouse have to haul stuff around and still want a spots car that works well in inclimate weather(rain snow sleet ect) I would pick the wrx. Me personally I went with the wrx over the 370z because my wife is harping me about having a baby I'm a full time student work full time and oklahoma WEATHER is freaking crazy! At the end of the day I am very glad I picked the wrx I have a blast every time I drive it. I'm sure you would love both cars just be practical with what your needs are.
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

I Support ClubWRX
    what do they say on the GT forum?
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I traded my 2006 Mustang GT in on my 2012 WRX. I despised my mehstang and it has caused me to rekindle my hate for Ford cars. Maybe the OP will get lucky and get a decent one. Unfortunately, I had all kinds of minor crap break on my mehstang GT to being left completely stranded in another state.

what sort of problems did you have with your gt? as far as what I need the car for... to go fast and get better than 12 mpg the subys snow prowness is what really makes me want it and the slightly better mpg. it will really come down to whats on the market in my price range when I sell my Jeep though...

As a lifelong mustang convert,I say fo wrx. I got a 2013 and I really don't even waste my time running against gts. Unless I can tell its got serious modding done.
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyen View Post
    I've owned a 97 camaro a 2002 mustang gt, 2006 350z and a 2013 wrx.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I traded my 2006 Mustang GT in on my 2012 WRX.
    keep in mind an 08 wrx is totally different than a 2011+ wrx.

the 08 wrx is the least desirable model. it was the first year of the new body style but still had the same power as the older models. it is also known as the "softest" wrx.

now, if the OP was looking at an 11+ wrx vs GT, i would take the wrx hands down and retract my previous statement about choosing the GT.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

personally id go for the WRX since it snows in your area.

nice WJ by the way.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Mustang. All day!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87