What should I buy... 2007 mustang GT or 2008 wrx? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What should I buy... 2007 mustang GT or 2008 wrx? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; WRX because it snows but not an 08. If your only opiton is 08 WRX and a 07-09 GT I'd ...

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX because it snows but not an 08.

If your only opiton is 08 WRX and a 07-09 GT I'd get the GT. If you can swing a 2010 or newer WRX then the WRX wins.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very subjective; the only one who can make this call is you, after you've driven both cars. Different worlds.
    You'll specifically want to drive a 2008 model WRX, since, as has been stated, it has a softer suspension setup than any (?) preceding or later USDM model. Some people actually liked that, for a daily driver.

Go drive the cars, and, assuming that you have an enthusiast-bent, pick the one that makes you smile the most. (and of course, has been well-taken-care-of, a good deal, fits your lifestyle, etc.) Don't be too quick to take guidance on this from a WRX forum or a Mustang forum. We're all full of crap.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

As a previous 2008 WRX owner in the midwest (and having a friend with a Mustang GT...think it's 2006-2007) I'd go for the WRX, but on a couple conditions.
    Do not leave it stock...it blows.
    At the very least you will need an intake, catback & a tune for performance. Throw on some STI pink springs and some sways and you'll be all set. If you're not willing to spend the time/money for those things...get the Mustang and throw on the snow tires in the winter...and drive carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    personally id go for the WRX since it snows in your area.

nice WJ by the way.
    Thanks man, I do like her. Too many problems to daily drive though. The 08 would get some love, no car I get stays stock longer than a month it would eventually get a vf52 and it would go stage 2 and get some handling mods before the years over... There have been a couple 09s for 18k or so but they get bought up fast.. kinda comes down to what's available when I go to buy one. I do like the shifter feel of the mustang over the wrx, much shorter, more precise and firmer the wrx felt almost rubbery. visibility in the mustang does suck, as does the rear wheel drive in snow, but I have driven rear wheel drive in the snow my whole life until this jeep (which is awd) so it's not like I can't do it.. wish I had the money now! there's a couple 08's in my area going for 16-17k with only 60k miles I'd buy that in a heartbeat over any GT. They leaves me $2000 more in my budget over my highest price, just enough for a vf52, downpipe, and tune for me the 2 cars are neck and neck. they put down the same sort of power and track times, they get similiar mpg, and they cost the same. The wrx has higher insurance by a bit, but gets 2 mpg better so it comes out even pretty much. They both can get way more get up and go for fairly cheap, and they both can run low 13 sec. with the right mods and driving, if not high 12's. But I'm not just buying them for straight lines, I have tons of canyons by my house that are fun to cruise, and I need it to be daily drivable to school and work... Just rambling on haha sorry I'm trying to talk myself into one or the other but it's not working! if I can get a wrx for under 18k with reasonable miles (under 70k) I'm all over that vs a similar mustang though. Problem is most wrxs around here go for closer to 19k while mustangs go for 17-18. The wrx's are just in high demand because we get snow
    Current ride: 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited, Ironrockoffroad 6.5 premium long arm lift, 3.73 gears with varilock, 33 procomp mt's and rockcrawler wheels.
    CURRENTLY SHOPPING FOR: 08 or 09 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GODMODE View Post
    Thanks man, I do like her. Too many problems to daily drive though. The 08 would get some love, no car I get stays stock longer than a month it would eventually get a vf52 and it would go stage 2 and get some handling mods before the years over... There have been a couple 09s for 18k or so but they get bought up fast.. kinda comes down to what's available when I go to buy one. I do like the shifter feel of the mustang over the wrx, much shorter, more precise and firmer the wrx felt almost rubbery. visibility in the mustang does suck, as does the rear wheel drive in snow, but I have driven rear wheel drive in the snow my whole life until this jeep (which is awd) so it's not like I can't do it.. wish I had the money now! there's a couple 08's in my area going for 16-17k with only 60k miles I'd buy that in a heartbeat over any GT. They leaves me $2000 more in my budget over my highest price, just enough for a vf52, downpipe, and tune for me the 2 cars are neck and neck. they put down the same sort of power and track times, they get similiar mpg, and they cost the same. The wrx has higher insurance by a bit, but gets 2 mpg better so it comes out even pretty much. They both can get way more get up and go for fairly cheap, and they both can run low 13 sec. with the right mods and driving, if not high 12's. But I'm not just buying them for straight lines, I have tons of canyons by my house that are fun to cruise, and I need it to be daily drivable to school and work... Just rambling on haha sorry I'm trying to talk myself into one or the other but it's not working! if I can get a wrx for under 18k with reasonable miles (under 70k) I'm all over that vs a similar mustang though. Problem is most wrxs around here go for closer to 19k while mustangs go for 17-18. The wrx's are just in high demand because we get snow
    Rubbery shifter/long throw can be fixed very cheap. Kartboy short throw shifter and complete bushing set.

If you plan on drag racing a lot I would go with the mustang.
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

Oops
    Last edited by Doyen; 06-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

thanks for all the info guys. I really am leaning towards the wrx. I think both have their issues, but the 08's can easily be addressed, and their lower price is worth it for me. So I will go work my ass off for the next 3 weeks, then hopefully I'll be back with a new WRX
    Current ride: 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited, Ironrockoffroad 6.5 premium long arm lift, 3.73 gears with varilock, 33 procomp mt's and rockcrawler wheels.

what sort of problems did you have with your gt? as far as what I need the car for... to go fast and get better than 12 mpg the subys snow prowness is what really makes me want it and the slightly better mpg. it will really come down to whats on the market in my price range when I sell my Jeep though...
    If you get an 07, chances are the rear Lower Control arm bushings will be close to bad if they haven't already been changed. Mine went at about 36,000 miles and I traded the car in at just under 40,000 miles. I was also on my second set of strut mounts, in dire need of a third. Oh, the front lower ball joints were also shot. I know Louisiana roads are horrible, but that's a lot of suspension components to go bad with less than 40,000 miles on the car. While I am on the topic of suspension, that solid rear axle, (you know, the same thing you find on an Amish Buggy) caused all kinds of problems with rear end bump steer. Hitting a bump in a turn or curve on a wet road made for an exciting experience!

Then there was the issue of the smart junction box shorting out in 2007 while I was in Pensacola after a shower thereby turning the car into a paperweight. There is nothing like having to stay in a hotel 3 days longer than you initially planned to while the local Ford dealer obtains and reprograms a SMJ to your vehicle. Sure it was under warranty, but that is something that should have NEVER happened! That car was doomed from that point on because I no longer trusted it and I hated it from that point on.

Finally, there were miscellaneous interior bits and pieces that worked their way loose, broke, needed replacing, etc. While the WRX had it's share of squeaks and rattles, the my Mustang had more!

As for the car itself, Ford's drive by wire is extremely laggy in stock form. After the warranty was up, I went with a JLT CAI and a Bamachips OTS tune. While I didn't notice the "ZOMG the car is soooo much faster" thing that every unique individual posts on the web, I did notice that the throttle was much more responsive. Maybe they equate responsive throttle with being faster, I don't know... Oh, and even the tune went awry because I was unable to return the car to stock prior to trading in due to a corrupted stock tune. SCT sent me a base tune to force onto the PCM, and that didn't work. They told me the car would have to go back to Ford to have the stock tune put back on. Not wanting to spend another penny on that car, my solution was to trade it in with the CAI installed and the SCT handheld. The funny thing in all this is SCT tried to tell me that I couldn't trade the car in tuned. HAH, proved them wrong!

EDIT: While I am on the Ford bashing, I forgot to mention another issue... The 4.6 was overly sensitive to oil. When I put Mobil1 synthetic in it, I had problems with the motor pulling timing to resetting to zero with a full nose over. I thought something was wrong with the car until I called one of my mechanic friends... He told me to either use Ford's synthetic oil or regular dino oil because of the problems that Ford had with certain synthetic oils. I listened to him and the problems stopped.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 06-17-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Trying to be unbiased here (really don't care for Mustangs personally).

It sounds like either car will probably be modded... so I wouldn't worry too much about things like the shifter or body roll... both of those can be fixed easily and pretty cheaply on either car.

If the Mustang would make you happier than the WRX, you should go for that... but as it sounds like either one would get you stoked, I'd go for the one that's going to be a blast driving all year long, not just during the warm months.

haha well damn, I can see why you didn't like it! and yeah I'm pretty much set on a wrx, I have always liked them and it's more practical, and can be faster
    on another note I have rebuilt the entire front end of my Jeep and gotten it alligned, and it still tries to pull me off the road... POS! ha I'm just gonna have to sell it like that and tell them idk what is wrong with it. After I replace my heater core (kill me now) and get the ac charged. On a totally unrelated note, what are the pros and cons of a hatchback vs sedan? I've heard hatches handle better, does this have any merit? is one lighter than the other?

I wouldn't even consider an 08. It's the Civic of WRX's

haha well damn, I can see why you didn't like it! and yeah I'm pretty much set on a wrx, I have always liked them and it's more practical, and can be faster
    on another note I have rebuilt the entire front end of my Jeep and gotten it alligned, and it still tries to pull me off the road... POS! ha I'm just gonna have to sell it like that and tell them idk what is wrong with it. After I replace my heater core (kill me now) and get the ac charged. On a totally unrelated note, what are the pros and cons of a hatchback vs sedan? I've heard hatches handle better, does this have any merit? is one lighter than the other?

I personally vastly prefer the looks of the hatch, but some like the sedan more. Main difference is how much they can hold. I've fit 3 people, 2 mountain bikes (1 being a downhill race bike), my 12'' subwoofer, camping stuff for 3 people including tents, shademaker canopy, toolboxes, clothes, bike clothes, full face helmets, camp stove, box of food, etc etc... all INSIDE my car (nothing on the roof or back) for an 8 hr drive before. Hard to do that with a sedan.

the only difference is the turbo/ mapping and stock exhaust but that would switched out very fast. so for a $2000-$3000 cheaper car I can throw on a vf52 and a downpipe for under $1500 and be making more power than a 09... still would rather just pick up an 09 tho

i just bought an 08 wrx hatch. I went from a firebird to this and i love it. Yes the 08 is the least desirable model but after stage 2 a downpipe and some shifter bushings the car is where i have no more complaints about it. The tranny does suck though. 71k and my 3rd gear synchro in going out. For stock suspension it doesn't have as much body roll as i would have suspected it to have.

Thats just my opinion and expectations of the car. just think if you get an 09 or newer its only going to be better!
    Last edited by scooby719; 06-18-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast